• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best days/times to sell on eBay?

18 posts in this topic

Hey folks.

I'm curious about other people's thoughts on when the best time/day of week is to end an auction on eBay? I've been doing seven day auctions that end at 7pm PST for most of my sales. Curious to know if other sellers out there have discovered optimal times for selling on eBay?

Thanks.

I try to end my auctions between 10:00 and 11:00 EST Sunday night...gives the west-coasters time to sit in front of the computer after their supper.

When I bid, I try to find an auction that ends sometime during the morning on a weekday. (People are at work/school. :) )

Mike

The actual day does not matter, but I echo Gaard's statement in that the time to end auctions is anytime after 9pm EST as most West Coasters are home from work and able to bid. Even that's becoming a thing of the past with all the sniping programs available.

I think sometimes if you end it late at night people will be forced to place their top bid and maybe it goes for more than a spur of the moment sniped bid.

I never had great results on Sunday night and I have actually been very happy ending auctions at 12:30 on Friday since east coasters are ready to shop and west coasters are getting to work and slacking off. I think great stuff will get bids no matter what day or time you pick (except maybe a major Holiday which is to be avoided).

lol

But it seems that when an item is sniped it goes for less. That's how I get all my bargains. Taking it off the table forces people to place a MAX BID

There's nothing I want so bad that I'll miss sleep to purchase. Never try to have auctions end in the middle of the night or early morning. You want competition from multiple parties so high traffic times are optimal. If it's late, I won't be one of your bidders.

I always tried to end things on Monday afternoons. Many people still don't or can't access their ebay browsing over the weekends. I know several people who have poor internet at home and ONLY get on the internet at work. For some the weekend is when they are the most busy: cleaning up the house, doing laundry or other stuff; run errands, grocery shop, leave town, home repairs, visit relatives. So by the time Monday rolls around people swam ebay to get their fix. By the afternoon, any work that has piled up from Friday is usually been addressed or acknowledged and they have free time.

Of course that's totally just my theory.

How do I know people swam ebay on Monday afternoons? Web filter logs. #1 site where I work every Monday when I check it in the afternoon is EBAY followed by Woot, and cheep carribean cruises dot com.

-Terry

I've purchased some of my favorite items in auctions that were set to end at odd times.

10:19AM on a Tuesday... 11:27AM on a Wednesday... And so on...

These were highly sought after items listed as a 7 day auction around this time last year...

They had multiple bids initially, but no bidding war in the end due to the odd ending times.

If people want something bad enough and it is set in their saved searches, I don't see why someone wouldn't make the time to place a bid. However, I have missed out on a handful of auctions because I haven't been able to place a bid because of being tied up in the office or being with family. I usually don't throw a bid up until around 4 seconds before the auction ends as to not alert anyone to my interest. In the end though, Friday's and especially Sunday's are when I sell the most items or receive the most offers.

Nice post for sure, been thinking of dropping many store listings via auctions. In the past weekends were best for sure. Granted something seems slightly different this year during June and July in regards to a slow down on Ebay sales, curious if anyone else has experienced similar?

This may be different in the UK (I don't see why, we don't have time differences maybe?) I list items on a Thursday evening and let them run through 10 days. This way the auction goes through 2 weekends and ends on the second Sunday.

Nice post for sure, been thinking of dropping many store listings via auctions. In the past weekends were best for sure. Granted something seems slightly different this year during June and July in regards to a slow down on Ebay sales, curious if anyone else has experienced similar?

My store sales have been fairly quiet the last 4-6 weeks...