• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondercon 2005 Report

51 posts in this topic

Yes, there have been a couple of these - one about the dinner and one major hijack.

Anyway, do us a favor and try to avoid the hijacking so others can get a feel for Wondercon. I thank you.

I was there all three days.

FIRST DAY (Friday): I arrived about an hour after opening and got registered right away with my pre-prchased pass. Down the escalator and behold! Not crowded at all. Guess most people were still working - I took Wed and Thurs as vacation days to organize myself, print ut lists etc.

Start hitting the pre-code horror and a familiar yet sickening feeling (same as last last year when I got like 4 or 5 books) pervades me. These offerings are simply stupid. No, they are STOOPID. Common books (you know - the pre-code horror titles with nothing special to offer - yes they are nice but nothing to jack up the price the way a Mister Mystery 12 will) in VG going for $75-125 and sometimes more???? Are these people SELLING anything?

I almost gave up but decided to try the BA Horror stuff. Well I hit A-1 and most of the folks there were in the Marvel area and the DC SA/BA was pretty empty and I started to look through the stuff. Lo and behold! It seems that BA had subconciously imprinted itself on me as I was able to go through many titles and just start puilling what I wanted from the books. (Thing is, I am used to a pre-coder mentality - you go through 100 books and maybe select 2 or 3. I was going through 50 books and selecting 5 or 6. Sometimes more. A-1 is a good grader and they had their grades listed but I swear, even after looking at them at home, they were doing some undergrading. Many of their VFs were NM but I ain't complaining. Even though I know A-1 they were very stingy with the discounts. But I have to agree their pricers were already pretty much below haggle for the books I wanted.

After this encounter my synapses stared firing big-time.I hadn;t felt this excited about buying comics since the heyday of my pre-code buying 20 years ago. And the nice thing was that many of the books I bought I had never even seen before (I kind of skipped BA in my collecting cycle which went from Modern to Sa to GA). FFB's LCS was there (House Of Comics). A nicer guy you would not want to meet. He was my most frequesnt stop and I ended up getting about 40% of my haul from him.

Anyway, with newly kindled enthusiasm I started hitting other tables. (At this point I want to thanks Sid and Jason and Borock and Scott and Andrew and Jim and other foumites for mentioning "Oh, I think so and so has some nice so and so's."

So I ended the day with about 41 HG BA horror books and more than 3/4 of my cash still intact.

Brain and (was it Jeff?) and I hit Chevy's for lunch just across the street. Then back for more of the same.

Afterwards FFB, Elizabeth, Jim and Jason and I hit this really nice French restaraunt. I managed, as usual, to irritate FFB (I tend to do that but he knows ( hope) it is not intentional and I just tend to have certain "enthusiasms". Truth be told, Scott and Elizabeth are wonderful people and Scott helped me with his opinion of a few books. Overall had a swell, if somewhat filling, time with these fine folk.

Day 2 - Saturday: Basically more of the same. With a twist. I can thank Borok for this, as I recall. Was at Ron's (Redbeard) table and Steve saw some of the books I got and just pulled out a 20cent Adventure to show me and I went confused.gif893whatthe.gifthumbsup2.gif and another synapse kicked in. Strated remembering some of those B&B and Batman type non-horror horrors and decided hey! Let me look these up. See Infinite BA Horror thread.

After much buying went to the Forum Dinner. As usual, FFB was all over this and managed things beautifully, even with some no-shows that made things rather uncomfortable for him. Supa made me realize it was only a 6-block walk and even at my advanced age and about 25 pounds of comics on my shoulder, made the trip in no time ( mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif all you no-shows!) I WAS a major contributor to the walk, though. Between the Mosconi Center and the restaraunt was the Chinese New Year Parade with part of Market Street (the main drag) blocked off. I suggested, with the whiles of an elder, that we just go down the Muni (subway) and walk across the street that way. Supa was impressed. grin.gif

Met many people. I will not name them all as I cannot remember them all by name but there was this Borock guy and this Divabrundelseth whatever the heck his name is grin.gif and this Brit named GoldDust or something (with a wicked sense of humour) hi.gifthumbsup2.gif and a fine lady who seemed to know Borock pretty danged well and FFB and Elizabeth (if I failed to acknoweldge I knew them I would be in deep scooby-doo) and Say Jim! That's a Bad OutFIT and Jason and - well - just a slew of people who I honestly could not keep straight but every one was just fine.

So I snagged some yesterday and posted several in the Infinite Bronze Horror section.

Today - Sunday - Day 3: Almost didn;t go but I practiced moderation at the Forum Dinner (last year it took me two days to recover) with just a few glasses of wine and one glass of Southern Comfort - don;t care what anyone says about SC - it is smooth and tasty) so realized I could make it today. Glad I did. Got some of the sweetest books in my collection from Ron Murry from a previously undiscovered short box of HG and from a "mixed HG short box from House Of Comics" I had not gone through previously. Except for two books, all were of that newly discovered (to me) DC hero-horror. Am posting them in the Infinite BA Horror thread.

This was the best Wondercon I have attended. And this Fourm had a lot to do with it. When the con was in Oakland I had just started on these boards and really didn't know anyone. I got a lot of pre-code I posted in the original Have A Cigar thread in General. Last year I attended my first Forum dinner and it was great, but this year met so many more people I had the opportunity to converse with on these boards. It DOES make a difference.

Now I am seriously considering San Diego. I have many $$$ left over thanks to my shift from over-priced precide horror to BA Horror. And I crave mopre books. 4 or 5 months will be ideal for me to plan and make the trip! Besides, I keep hearing how nice San Diego is.

Great report, Pov! I'm not feeling too verbose at the moment, but here are the main books I purchased at the show. It was great to see/meet all of you!!!

FF # 3:

FF3-fr-600sm.jpg

Sgt. Fury # 13:

SGTFURY13-fr-600sm.jpg

Sgt Fury # 1 (Fair/Good or maybe Good minus beater):

SGTFURY1-fr-600sm.jpg

Texan # 2 - CGC 9.2 WHITE pages - Edgar Church copy - My first Church book!!! cloud9.gif:

Texan2-Church-nolabel-bk-60.jpg

Great report, Pov! I'm not feeling too verbose at the moment, but here are the main books I purchased at the show. It was great to see/meet all of you!!!

FF # 3:

FF3-fr-600sm.jpg

Sgt. Fury # 13:

SGTFURY13-fr-600sm.jpg

SGTFURY1-fr-600sm.jpg

Texan # 2 - CGC 9.2 WHITE pages - Edgar Church copy - My first Church book!!! cloud9.gif:

got to see these at the Forum Dinner last night. i think Jimm got a sweet deal on the FF3 and SF 13 thumbsup2.gif

AND, ya gotta love a white paged Church book from 1948 in 9.2......... cloud9.gif

Hey All!

No con appearance for me, but hats off to FFB for putting together a fine Board dinner at Bob's Steak House. Couldn't believe the Chinese New Year's traffic, but after traversing a few alleys I managed to get in behind the blocked off area and park about 3 blocks away from the restaurant. Met so many people I've been looking forward to meet, just a few in order of appearance: Mike Pov, Sid BassMan, Elrod SupaPimp, Andy GoldDust, Jason JBud, Ellen and Harry BurntBoy, Steve BOrock and his friend (damn, I can't remember her name!), Steve Colossus Comics and his wife, and of course my brothas: Scott FFB (and Elizabeth), Jimm94, JeffreyKli.

Here's a couple of photos from the dinner, 1st, Ellen Burntboy, Stevie B's Friend & Elizabeth FFB:

EllenElizabeth.jpg

Then, Andy GoldDust and Jason JBud who kept me quite amused through dinner:

GoldDustJBud.jpg

Many others, too numerous to mention -- did manage to say hi to Bill Hughes, Jason Ewert and Tom Brulatto.

Wish I had more photos to share, but I'm a klutz with my camera foreheadslap.gif Blood alcohol level just about returned to normal (glad I didn't end up at Supa's bar in the Mission) 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif Trouble enough getting home as it were . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Just a great time talkin' books wit da boys 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

It was great to meet you Diva (David). Tomorrow I'll add my "WonderCon Report" as well. Almost 3:00 a.m. as I write this. Got home not too long ago. One of the best parts of a con is once that you get home and you are able to go through everything, rebag, organize and see just what the heck you bought. Much more tomorrow..... g'night. sleeping.gif

My Wondercon experience was several hours in the dealer's room and a severe crowd allergy. I arrived later than I wanted and left earlier than expected. I picked up a short box full of bargain books, mostly Batman titles, Birds of Prey, and Catwoman. The good stuff was a pair of Batman Annuals, #s 6 and 7, both in VF from Harley Yee, a Batman 146 in about Fine but with great gloss and deep color from House of Comics, and two golden age books: Fight Comics 49 in low Fine and Jumbo Comics 95 at F/VF from Redbeard.

I did meet a few forumites, and would loved to have gone to the dinner, but family obligations kept me away.

I didn't find what I went for: Batman 158 and 154. I saw three 158s, all beaters, and not a single 154. Bummer.

FF # 3:

FF3-fr-600sm.jpg

Sgt. Fury # 13:

SGTFURY13-fr-600sm.jpg

SGTFURY1-fr-600sm.jpg

Sweet books! Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Great Wondercon.

Another fun experience overall I must say.

I'll just give a brief report of my experiences but won't go into too much detail or I'll end up here all day, again.

I arrived Thursday night so that I could get a good night's sleep before the con started. Since it doesn't start until 12:00 on Friday I think I'll shorten it and fly in Friday morning next year. The Moscone Center is beautiful, no problems with that. But since my hotel was a half mile away I was doing alot of walking before and after the show each day. Lots of panhandlers in the area. I don't mind all the ugly crossdressing men, but the bums can be annoying, although none were aggresive. Next year I'll stay within a couple blocks of the center so that I don't have to deal with that. Nothing against bums or homeless people, just don't like being approached while I'm just walking down the street, over and over again.

I remembered from last year that I did most of my buying with Heroes. Before entering the con I looked at the map of the floor to find out exactly where their booth was. I just didn't want to be blocked by other shoppers as I wanted as fresh of a box as possible. Lots of high grade Bronze all at 50% off. So I entered the con and made a beeline to Heroes. Still the same nice books and great deals but not nearly the selection they had last year of what I was looking for. PLUS, I found out later that Jason (Jbud) had raided those same boxes before me, looking for the same books earlier in the day with an exhibitors pass.

So throughout the three days I browsed all the dealers books which was not hard to do. Being on the floor about 20 of the 22 hours the floor was open, I covered all the dealers over and over again. In San Diego this is impossible. I'd say the total floor space was maybe 10% of SD's floor space, no joke. Nice con, but not really that big. However, I did find plenty of nice HG Bronze books including many that I was looking for. People who know me know that I am mostly shopping for DC Horror but I also branch out into the early Bronze Batman titles which also have alot of horror themed covers, especially the Adams books. Overall I spent maybe $1,100 buying books in the $5 - $40 range, so I got a nice little stash. Most books were priced around $10 - $30 in my stash.

I found out that I had a huge amount in common with two forumites. First Mr. Povertyrow. We have EXACTLY the same collecting tastes. Now that he has moved into Bronze, we were buying the same books. Both into the same DC Horror titles and Batman books. The one Marvel he purchased, a nice Marvel Tales #1 I would have purchased as well, had I seen it first. We traded piles a couple times to look at each other's books. If our two piles had been switched, I would have never known the difference, they were that close.

However, I was disappointed in one area. There were NO HG DC Bronze romance to speak of outside of some of Harley's overpriced books. I like those cheesy romance covers. Fits well with my main horror interests, just can't find any dang books is all.

The other Forumite who I have a lot of common with is Divadrabnud, whom I met at the dinner. We have pretty much the same method of buying and selling comics for fun and for profit. It was good to talk to another forumite who was also proud to state that he actively tries to profit off of "flipping" while enjoying the books in the process, like I do. And thanks David for that one great Ebay selling tip you gave me, certainly a key point to generating some higher bids.

It was also fun to chat with various Forumites whom I had run into during the show. Unfortunately I didn't spend as much time with everybody as I would have liked as I am usually hyper while on the convention floor. Hard for me to just slow down to socialize sometimes. There were still plenty of Forumites that were there that I didn't even get to meet.

Maybe some other time I'll scan up some covers and go over all my purchases, but today is also my 6th wedding anniversary and I figure if I spend too much time here that I'd be "in for it" with the wife. So I'll leave you with one book that I bought due to a tip from Plitch (thanks) as he knows that besides horror, I'm always a sucker for some sexy covers. -----Sid

729009-Batgirl.jpg

729009-Batgirl.jpg.4e1b7b22c516ec3c01fceb78d20d56bf.jpg

Hey Jimm, did you pick up that Sgt Fury #13 w/ Captain America from Lee's Comics by any chance? If so, I VERY nearly bought it myself! smile.gif

I only went to the Wondercon 1 day this year, for a variety of reasons. I'm not happy that it was held so early, and I hope that next year it's pushed back to its usual timeslot.

Like Povertyrow, I noticed that practically all pre-Silver age books, no matter the grade or popularity, were marked higher than what I was willing to pay. Always adaptable, I found that Silver and especially Bronze Age books seemed to be the bargain this year, and so I went for them instead of Gold. Many dealers had 20-50% off the marked prices, and just happened to have a lot of what I was looking for (mostly superhero titles like Batman, Green Lantern, Invaders, etc, and 80 or 100 page giant issues.). It was a very good con for me over all!

Hey Jimm, did you pick up that Sgt Fury #13 w/ Captain America from Lee's Comics by any chance? If so, I VERY nearly bought it myself! smile.gif

Hi Samurai,

This one actually came from A-1 Comics, along with my FF # 3. I didn't even make it to Lee's Booth this year!

...wicked sense of humour...

One of the tests for a sense of humour is the ability to take a joke without developing an intense persecution complex.

It's good to lead a balanced life. Thank you and I hope I passed the audition.

...wicked sense of humour...

One of the tests for a sense of humour is the ability to take a joke without developing an intense persecution complex.

You have some kind of falling out with Andy? confused.gif