• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antique store pricing...

52 posts in this topic

I have a booth at one of the local antique stores in downtown Paducah KY. I agree with the comments on outrageous pricing at antique stores except mine.

None of the comics in the picture are above $10 with most $5 or under.

The booth also allows me to sell other items that are a pain to list on ebay.

Booth21_zpsjclne3vg.jpg

Booth11_zps7tnhzbaz.jpg

20150602_1456391_zpsid1qy9kd.jpg

Why someone would do that when they can check ebay and see its worth a buck is a fool's hope
Old people. The kind of old people that still have flip phones and don't know how to use the internet.

Hey! I just upgraded from a flip phone two weeks ago. I had to do it because it was a 2G phone, and T-Mobile changed the towers near my house to 4G. But I'm not old, dagnabit! :preach:

lol

Why someone would do that when they can check ebay and see its worth a buck is a fool's hope
Old people. The kind of old people that still have flip phones and don't know how to use the internet.

Hey! I just upgraded from a flip phone two weeks ago. I had to do it because it was a 2G phone, and T-Mobile changed the towers near my house to 4G. But I'm not old, dagnabit! :preach:

lol
I'm 54. The only reason I even have a flip phone is because I inherited it. Nobody calls me on it anyway.

lol I still have my old work flip phone, I feel like I'm on Star Trek when I use it

Some antique stores just price things based on how old they are. The older they are, the more expensive. So throwing a $30 price tag on something just because it's the same age as books that are often in that $30 price range is their go-to pricing move. They don't take into consideration the same things comic fans/stores/sellers/buyers do when evaluating pricing.

They also tend to look at grade on old books as "well it's in pretty good shape FOR ITS AGE" rather than just "pretty good shape. Period". Probably what's going on here.

Yup

"I heard a comic was worth 3 million so I'm pricing these comics at 3 million"

I have a booth at one of the local antique stores in downtown Paducah KY. I agree with the comments on outrageous pricing at antique stores except mine.

None of the comics in the picture are above $10 with most $5 or under.

The booth also allows me to sell other items that are a pain to list on ebay.

Booth21_zpsjclne3vg.jpg

Booth11_zps7tnhzbaz.jpg

20150602_1456391_zpsid1qy9kd.jpg

Leroy are you ever in the Greenville or Bowling Green area, I wouldn't mind looking thru some boxes of comics :hi:

I found an antique store right here in my neighborhood that has comics, but they're all unbagged/unboarded and randomly tossed in filing cabinets, so they're being destroyed by the minute. I don't know why they don't spend a couple seconds making sure their inventory isn't destroyed? He has nice sleeves and shelves for all his vinyl though.

Old people. The kind of old people that still have flip phones...

I'm not old (well, not THAT old...yet), and would still have a flip phone today if it hadn't died on me several years ago.

So...it was off to Best Buy or the Verizon Store or whatever inner ring of hell I was forced to patronize that day, where a pleasant but thoroughly inarticulate young college kid with an angular haircut (which I envied) and complicated shoes (which I didn't) informed me that "uh...like, they don't make those anymore" when I asked for a replacement.

After he tried in vain to "up-sell" me a bunch of mess I didn't want and had no use for, I patiently explained to him that I loathed these heinous little phones, but have been forced to accept them as a necessary evil of modernity, and that all I wanted was a phone that worked...as a phone: NO data plan, NO text, NO pictures, NO streaming, NO anything other than making and receiving telephone calls, which I rarely do anyway.

This, of course, was basically the equivalent of asking for a plain hamburger at McDonald's.

And thus, several eons later, I walked out with a slightly older version of this thing, which I gather is the contemporary equivalent of two soup cans and a length of string, and which I am still using today:

18617128.jpg

God what a nuisance.

Call me old uncle D-bag, I don't care. I hate these things, and hate myself for relying on them more than I should...

:sumo::grin:

Old people. The kind of old people that still have flip phones...

I'm not old (well, not THAT old...yet), and would still have a flip phone today if it hadn't died on me several years ago.

So...it was off to Best Buy or the Verizon Store or whatever inner ring of hell I was forced to patronize that day, where a pleasant but thoroughly inarticulate young college kid with an angular haircut (which I envied) and complicated shoes (which I didn't) informed me that "uh...like, they don't make those anymore" when I asked for a replacement.

After he tried in vain to "up-sell" me a bunch of mess I didn't want and had no use for, I patiently explained to him that I loathed these heinous little phones, but have been forced to accept them as a necessary evil of modernity, and that all I wanted was a phone that worked...as a phone: NO data plan, NO text, NO pictures, NO streaming, NO anything other than making and receiving telephone calls, which I rarely do anyway.

This, of course, was basically the equivalent of asking for a plain hamburger at McDonald's.

And thus, several eons later, I walked out with a slightly older version of this thing, which I gather is the contemporary equivalent of two soup cans and a length of string, and which I am still using today:

18617128.jpg

God what a nuisance.

Call me old uncle D-bag, I don't care. I hate these things, and hate myself for relying on them more than I should...

:sumo::grin:

I still use my flip phone which is only 1.5 years old from verizon. When I went to the verizon store to drop another phone and switch my flip phone to another plan, the kid said "Man, these buttons on this phone are huge!". I laughed. I told him the same as you: I want a plan that doesn't have data, just makes phone calls. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and said there wasn't any such plan anymore. He kept trying to set me up with a plan with a minor amount of data for about $35/month. I'm already paying $30/month access fee, so I told him I don't want to pay $65 to just make about 10 calls a month. I went home and went online and found the plan he said didn't exist for $5 a month. I felt like printing out the plan and waiving it in his face, but I didn't.

I would definitely go back and wave the plan in his face. No way I could resist doing something like that.

Yelp has saved me from being screwed too many times to consider a life without it. I never step into a bad restaurant when I'm out of town, I always know where the comic store is, and I saved about seven grand by looking up the AC company that was trying to rip me off while they prepared the loan application paperwork so I could replace a $7000 AC unit because it needed a $140 capacitor.

I think most antique stores price everything based on feel without doing any research, which is how it's possible to walk out of there with a treasure for $60, but much more likely you'll walk out of there for something worth $10 for $50. I was in an antique shop a week or two back that was selling Scrabble pieces individually, and aggressively priced. I imagine the reason being they had an incomplete game. Anyway, odds of someone else with an incomplete game walking in there and spending $10 on letters instead of just heading down to Toys R Us to buy a new game seem pretty slim.

This is always what I'm looking to do whenever I do visit an antique store. For the most part, antique stores are usually pretty tough picks down here... However, once in a blue moon I will find a hidden gem amongst the overpriced rubbish...

That's why I keep going back (thumbs u

I still can't get over the fact that EVEN IF the comics were worth $60 when they came out of the box... they'd NOW be worth $6 with that price sticker directly on the cover.

If they're bagged, then never mind. Shine on you crazy antique store clueless seller diamond.

I have a LCS near me that does something similar, but they put colored dots on the bags and have a color chart with dollar value on the front of the boxes; like "Green dot = $20, Blue dot=$10, Yellow dot=$5".

I like looking through the stacks and seeing bronze age DC/marvel (non keys) with detached covers and marker scribbles all over the front, then flipping it over and seeing the Green Dot. I get a good chuckle out of that.

-Terry