• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scooby Doo Collecting Thread

75 posts in this topic

I have just started collecting Scooby Doo comics. My daughter got into the TV show because it was on Netflix and I thought that buying her the comics for us to read together would be a good way to bridge my interests and hers. Well, it worked! She likes Scooby comics. Now I am trying to build up a nice Scooby collection of Gold Key's, Charlton and Marvel's for the both of us :)

So who else is collecting Scoob? I know there are some great sets in the registry!

My goal is to collect them all, in what ever grade I can find them, but I would like to get some higher grade slabs, or find some to get slabbed on my own. Ebay hasn't been very helpful, the nature of the beast is that these comics were read and destroyed by kids in the 70's, not a lot in great condition. The few #1's on ebay are lower VG tops and one that's an 8.0 slab going for $2500 CDN!

My goal is to collect them all, in what ever grade I can find them, but I would like to get some higher grade slabs, or find some to get slabbed on my own. Ebay hasn't been very helpful, the nature of the beast is that these comics were read and destroyed by kids in the 70's, not a lot in great condition. The few #1's on ebay are lower VG tops and one that's an 8.0 slab going for $2500 CDN!

The problem with high grade #1's and other tough to find GK is they sit in collections. The only reason I sold my 8.0 is that I found an 8.5. I've been offered FMV for the 8.5 but I know if I sell it, getting another one will be a long slog. Then again, that's true of a lot of Gold and Silver books and part of the fun of collecting.

I am hoping to get a slabbed set of the Charlton comics. I know I will never get all 9.8's just because I will never find them all, plus they don't exist yet... The registry shows just 1,2,3 and 7 slabbed! If I can find these on ebay for a decent price in a VF range, do you think it's worth getting them slabbed?

I am hoping to get a slabbed set of the Charlton comics. I know I will never get all 9.8's just because I will never find them all, plus they don't exist yet... The registry shows just 1,2,3 and 7 slabbed! If I can find these on ebay for a decent price in a VF range, do you think it's worth getting them slabbed?

Financial investment aside. Personally I feel if slabbing them fuels your amazing bound you are further building upon with your daughter over comics I say go for it! I have subbed a few on behalf of my seven year old daughter, just not as focused on one title but she loves our "comic time" and I feel she deeply values the books and the creators now.

I'd also say stick with NM or better though. It also helps slow the process a bit and the search is an endeavor on its own to me.

Excellent thread, was hoping for some pictures though :(

The Charlton books are extremely tough in high grade because the value just isn't there aside from #1. Gold Key series is very tough as well but since people are throwing money at #1, they've started to come out slowly but surely. Good luck on your collection, you shouldn't have any trouble finding mid to lower high grade Gold Key issues without spending a fortune.

Brian

Murph is right, this thread should have been called Best In Show :) Anyone got pics of nice Scoobs?

IntoAnother: yeah, I freaking love our comic book time. Every time we read a comic together or talk about comics it warms my heart. She is as enthusiastic as I am most days!

And the Quest... you gotta love a good quest right? Most of us collectors are on some quest or another!

Here's a photo of a terrible Scoob. This is the first one that I got since I decided to start collecting. Found it at a used book store Monday for fifty cents. It has a price sticker on the front and the centerfold is detached. So, pretty low grade ;) but we read it and enjoyed it!

2zg8zl1.jpg

scan0261_zps55xonmxv.jpg

Off to a good start on my Charlton run...I doubt ill find a better copy. And to echo everyone else...that Gold key is tough in F/VF or higher.

My sets are viewable with the link below. Although I think you probably have already viewed them since you referenced the registry.. there's a couple more to add but I've mostly stopped using the registry.

Brian

sig.jpg

I thought the play here would be introducing your daughter to other comic book characters via Scooby-Doo Team-Up.

Anyways, if you live near the Toronto area, you might have some tough competition. There's a guy on Kijiji looking for Scooby comics for his daughter, and I know another guy in my area who has all the early issues but is looking for upgrades.