• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman # 1 - Where Are All The High Grade Copies ?

219 posts in this topic

Pat,

Collectors Bookstore held a champagne reception Friday night, March 5, 1965, for some of the leading collectors like Rick Durrell, and opened for regular business the next day, March 6, 1965, at the store on Wilcox Avenue in Hollywood.

Richard

Yes. Beschara still owns (pubic knowledge).

Well, it should be public knowledge, he told everyone that visited his booth at SD back in the 90s... lol I think he told me he paid $70,000 for it, or something like that...

Yeah, he had it at his booth a few times. He brought it out to a Boston show too. The deal was on CNN and in the paper too. It's pretty safe to discuss...

Yes. Beschara still owns (pubic knowledge).

Well, it should be public knowledge, he told everyone that visited his booth at SD back in the 90s... lol I think he told me he paid $70,000 for it, or something like that...

Yeah, he had it at his booth a few times. He brought it out to a Boston show too. The deal was on CNN and in the paper too. It's pretty safe to discuss...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=870100

Doesn't the Dentist's copy look like a 9.2 or a 9.0?

Something like that. I've heard anything from 8.0 to 9.2. I expect (based on the range of opinions and who had them) that it's closer to the high end of that range.

Something like that. I've heard anything from 8.0 to 9.2. I expect (based on the range of opinions and who had them) that it's closer to the high end of that range.

It would be great to hear from someone who has seen it.

I would assume. Superman 1 was very well read over time before 1965.. That would account for the lower number of copies, in very high grade however I saw with my own eyes a very high grade copy in a superman run with a action run that has just never come to market in Southern California around 74-75 that I lost track off. It would clearly top the cenus but you can't win them all, I do however believe on the lower grade copies that the census is low as to the number of copies that exist.

It's been said that he owned all three of the best copies at one time or another and kept what he feels is the best of them., like other amazing books in his collection.

It's been said that he owned all three of the best copies at one time or another and kept what he feels is the best of them., like other amazing books in his collection.

Yeah, that's always the starting point for me when I start to put together a grade for a book like his Superman #1. He either owned or had the chance to own all the usual suspects so we can assume that he kept the best copy every time. No one is infallible and it's possible he chose poorly on one of the non-pedigree keys he owns, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have. That's how I put together the range.

Note: I really ought to pull all my notes together and separate things out into public and private piles. I *believe* I've seen public comments on his Superman #1, but I don't remember who/when.

I think if the 8.0 were for sale, it could fetch up to $1.25 mil. If it was just a lone 8.0 copy maybe closer to $2 mil?

2 million !

Thats alot of cheddar but maybe.

Well, it won't happen because of the 2nd 8.0 copy

The first 8.0 is the mile high and offers of more than 2 mil have been rejected as late at this last sdcc.

If this is the Church copy, then I guess it must be the restored copy that has now had the restoration removed.

I thought he was trying to sell this copy back in the 90's, but was unsuccessful because of the controversy surrounding the removed resto. If so, this proves that sometimes the best deals are the ones that never gets done. (thumbs u

Note: I really ought to pull all my notes together and separate things out into public and private piles. I *believe* I've seen public comments on his Superman #1, but I don't remember who/when.

Rob,

Did it present as a 9.0+ to you?

Rob,

Ack, Sorry for the confusion. I haven't seen the book, I was saying I have heard from people who have seen it and that's how I come up with my range. I rewrote my response a couple of times and the last time I left out a sentence that would have explained that I've heard from 2-3 people who have seen it. If I'd seen it personally, I'd just say what I thought it would grade.

Rob,

Ack, Sorry for the confusion. I haven't seen the book, I was saying I have heard from people who have seen it and that's how I come up with my range. I rewrote my response a couple of times and the last time I left out a sentence that would have explained that I've heard from 2-3 people who have seen it. If I'd seen it personally, I'd just say what I thought it would grade.

Ok. Gotcha

I've owned 3 copies of Supes 1.

The Windy City was stained (wet glass ring on FC) and 1/3 of the spine was split.

I had a coverless copy with the coupon clipped off the CF.

I had another copy that was removed from a bound volume. Trimmed and spine jagged.

Add them all up and you might get a 3.0. lol