• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman # 1 - Where Are All The High Grade Copies ?

219 posts in this topic

I would assume. Superman 1 was very well read over time before 1965.. That would account for the lower number of copies, in very high grade however I saw with my own eyes a very high grade copy in a superman run with a action run that has just never come to market in Southern California around 74-75 that I lost track off. It would clearly top the cenus but you can't win them all, I do however believe on the lower grade copies that the census is low as to the number of copies that exist.

Funny you say that. Theo has been quoted as saying he thinks supes 1 should be the most valuable comic. From which I infer he has a really nice one.

Meanwhile fishler is quietly sitting on a potentially hg coupon clipped copy. In a cgc world is the best unrestored cover with a coupon clip worth more than a lesser grade cover with coupon?

I would assume. Superman 1 was very well read over time before 1965.. That would account for the lower number of copies, in very high grade however I saw with my own eyes a very high grade copy in a superman run with a action run that has just never come to market in Southern California around 74-75 that I lost track off. It would clearly top the cenus but you can't win them all, I do however believe on the lower grade copies that the census is low as to the number of copies that exist.

Funny you say that. Theo has been quoted as saying he thinks supes 1 should be the most valuable comic. From which I infer he has a really nice one.

Meanwhile fisher is quietly sitting on a potentially hg coupon clipped copy. In a cgc world is the best unrestored cover with a coupon clip worth more than a lesser grade cover with coupon?

its a small world after all, I bought the clipped coupon copy from the original owner back in 74/75 at the time for 1k,,,sold it hal verb for 2K with 6 months as I got a better copy with a coupon...I assume this is the one steve owns...who hal sold it to...?

Steves 8.0 was a comics and comics copy which theo sold to geppi to who sold the 8.0 to steve I assume...small world

Meanwhile fisher is quietly sitting on a potentially hg coupon clipped copy. In a cgc world is the best unrestored cover with a coupon clip worth more than a lesser grade cover with coupon?

its a small world after all, I bought the clipped coupon copy from the original owner back in 74/75 at the time for 1k,,,sold it hal verb for 2K with 6 months as I got a better copy with a coupon...I assume this is the one steve owns...who hal sold it to...?

Steves 8.0 was a comics and comics copy which theo sold to geppi to who sold the 8.0 to steve I assume...small world

Is 8.0 just a guesstimate of Steve's copy grade would get ?

I cannot remember the exact grade but it should be the copy geppi sold to steve...I would it assume it was one of the 8.0 on census.

I cannot remember the exact grade but it should be the copy geppi sold to steve...I would it assume it was one of the 8.0 on census.

Ok, gotchas. Thanks for the clarification.

Seems like too many Superman 1 have their coupon clipped. I'm referring to Fishler's Atlantic City copy. Given the grades on the other ACC books, and how it looked in pictures, and the fact it wasn't offered for sale, I'm guessing Fishler was in a real quandry because it is a beautiful cover, in a CGC world where covers are all that matters, with an interior defect.

I'm not going to put you on the spot, but I'm noticing that you aren't addressing whether Theo has a nice copy still.

The old war stories are always fun. 2k was a boatload in 1975

Based on Redbeard's account a few years ago:

Redbeard owned the MH #1. Bright colors and beautiful pages. Not typical of other second hand MH's from that time. (The other MH Supes 2-10 were in mid grade range.) Anderson passed on it ultimately bc he found another #1 that was structurally nicer but not as bright. BM bought the MH #1 (I think for around $200-250k) 15-20 yrs ago. The rest of the HG MH supes run I believe were bought by Anderson.

I talked to BM about the book about 12 of so yrs ago. At the time he seemed inclined to sell it. I guess he never did (A wise investment decision on his part).

As the early Supes were second hand copies in the mid grade range, I believe the Central Valley Supes represent the nearly best from that time. I saw the CV copies when Brian Peets brought them to market in Sacramento 10 or so years ago. Very nice books. very bright and clean.

Mitch;

Sounds as though there could now be 2 different HG copies that Fishler is sitting on, Theo's copy and the ACC copy, both with coupons clipped. hm

Either way, based upon CGC's grading policy, I thought books with clipped coupons would all be graded as either 0.5 Poor / Incomplete if in a blue slab, or in its apparent grade as a GLOD. Given a choice between these 2 evils in general, it sounded as though most collectors would prefer the 0.5 blue label due to their abhorrent aversion to any of the non-blue stigmatizing PLOD or GLOD labels from CGC. :screwy:

So in theory, Fishler's copy of Supes 1 should not be one of the 8.0 blue copies on the census if it has a clipped coupon. (shrug)

Seems like too many Superman 1 have their coupon clipped. I'm referring to Fishler's Atlantic City copy. Given the grades on the other ACC books, and how it looked in pictures, and the fact it wasn't offered for sale, I'm guessing Fishler was in a real quandry because it is a beautiful cover, in a CGC world where covers are all that matters, with an interior defect.

I'm not going to put you on the spot, but I'm noticing that you aren't addressing whether Theo has a nice copy still.

Theo told me he no longer has a Superman #1

Based on Redbeard's account a few years ago:

Redbeard owned the MH #1. Bright colors and beautiful pages. Not typical of other second hand MH's from that time. (The other MH Supes 2-10 were in mid grade range.) Anderson passed on it ultimately bc he found another #1 that was structurally nicer but not as bright. BM bought the MH #1 (I think for around $200-250k) 15-20 yrs ago. The rest of the HG MH supes run I believe were bought by Anderson.

I talked to BM about the book about 12 of so yrs ago. At the time he seemed inclined to sell it. I guess he never did (A wise investment decision on his part).

As the early Supes were second hand copies in the mid grade range, I believe the Central Valley Supes represent the nearly best from that time. I saw the CV copies when Brian Peets brought them to market in Sacramento 10 or so years ago. Very nice books. very bright and clean.

I got to handle Redbeard's Church Supe #1. It wasn't real super high grade but it had wonderful color, white pages, a smooth, tight spine. An awsone copy. I don't remember it having any resto when he owned it.

When?

I have trouble viewing it as coincidence that a few years ago, at the same time that Theo was hyping Barks' paintings, he said this about Superman 1:

When it comes to comics, Theo loves Superman #1 from 1939, which he believes is the most undervalued comic book. When asked why, Holstein said, “It’s Superman’s first appearance in his own comic book, making it historic. I think it’s the first appearance of any superhero in his/her own comic. It’s like the Honus Wagner baseball card, it’s the ultimate, ultimate comic book.”

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Home/4/1/73/1019?articleID=77764

I've notice a lot of old school collectors (Mitch included) like to keep their collections secret -- and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hal verb thats been a long time. Hal and i were great freinds in the 70s up till 97 when i left his place in SF buying my old beat in half Spider-man 1 back.

Yes i went to all the Berkeley/Hayward cons with him and i do remember the Sup 1 with the clip small world.

Theo has the Larson copy of Superman #1. It's missing the back cover, otherwise is vg-fine. He valued it at a $100,000 last I heard. :facepalm:

he had that on ebay a while back yeah. Funny thing is the market may eventually catch up to his asking price the way things are going with that book. Even 5-10 years ago a a low grade copy was totally doable and now its out of reach, at least for me

Hal Verb... yeah old timer with bats 1-10 and Supes 1-10 thumb tacked to his display at the antique revivals in Hillsborough... I once saw him walking around a con with a plastic grocery bag. I could barely see through the bag- rolled up sup #1. in the plastic bag. This was maybe 20 yrs ago.

Theo has the Larson copy of Superman #1. It's missing the back cover, otherwise is vg-fine. He valued it at a $100,000 last I heard. :facepalm:

But is that all he has? I think he is a secretive guy.