• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman # 1 - Where Are All The High Grade Copies ?

219 posts in this topic

OK, bum info on my part. It wasn't a Supe #1 it was an Action #1 that Theo said he didn't have. I guess Beerbong isn't the only geezer here with a bad memory...

I believe Theo's copy has a penciled "L" on it and he claims it is the Larson.

Now, what he told me could be a fib on his part but he had no reason to lie to me. I know, like Mitch, he is Mr Mystery...

Theo told me he no longer has a Superman #1

Theo has the Larson copy of Superman #1. It's missing the back cover, otherwise is vg-fine. He valued it at a $100,000 last I heard. :facepalm:

he had that on ebay a while back yeah. Funny thing is the market may eventually catch up to his asking price the way things are going with that book. Even 5-10 years ago a a low grade copy was totally doable and now its out of reach, at least for me

I have a very high grade coverless copy which unfortunately is also missing the first 32 wraps. I wouldn't sell it for a million dollars.

Theo has the Larson copy of Superman #1. It's missing the back cover, otherwise is vg-fine. He valued it at a $100,000 last I heard. :facepalm:

he had that on ebay a while back yeah. Funny thing is the market may eventually catch up to his asking price the way things are going with that book. Even 5-10 years ago a a low grade copy was totally doable and now its out of reach, at least for me

I have a very high grade coverless copy which unfortunately is also missing the first 32 wraps. I wouldn't sell it for a million dollars.

Me too

Me too

I love the color strike on your copy (thumbs u

Wow! Are your staples shiny?

I know a guy who had a beater Supes 1 that he got restored. The restorer didn't use all the little pieces of the cover he had restored. He's still got them. Scary thing is - they might now be worth something.

For the ignorant among us - namely me - could you clarify what you mean "the first 32 wraps" ?

For the ignorant among us - namely me - could you clarify what you mean "the first 32 wraps" ?

He has a coverless copy that's also missing all that stuff between the covers. Still, as far as I know, it's unrestored.

He has a coverless copy that's also missing all that stuff between the covers. Still, as far as I know, it's unrestored.

Get a green label, probably. hm

its a small world after all, I bought the clipped coupon copy from the original owner back in 74/75 at the time for 1k,,,sold it hal verb for 2K with 6 months as I got a better copy with a coupon...I assume this is the one steve owns...who hal sold it to...?

Steves 8.0 was a comics and comics copy which theo sold to geppi to who sold the 8.0 to steve I assume...small world

As has been pointed out. The clipped copy Fishler has is from the AC collection and was not circulated by you back in 74/75.

The other 8.0 copy is the copy Steve Lauterbach (perhaps this is who you meant) sold several years ago when it was a CGC 7.5 copy and has since been re-submited. Thankfully, Rob has archived an image of it on his blog (http://itsalljustcomics.com) which I reproduce below.

superman1cgc75-662x1024.jpg

lol. so he has nothing ? ha ha

doh!

But is that all he has?

Don't know - as Bronty said, it was an ebay listing. Once I figured out who the seller (preduction) was, I lost all interest.

He sold that copy he bought it from mike carbo I believe at the SDCC years ago.

But is that all he has?

Don't know - as Bronty said, it was an ebay listing. Once I figured out who the seller (preduction) was, I lost all interest.

I believe the other copy was the 5.0 he bought at Ha.com and sold on comiclink for a profit 6 months or one year later.

When the Kirby Cofer collection hit, I believe a number of books were sold to fund those purchases...private sale

I believe Theo's copy has a penciled "L" on it and he claims it is the Larson.

Bob, it's a common misconception but Larsons do not have just an "L" on the cover.

At the time of the ebay listing, a scan was included and I'm pretty sure it was the Larson copy.

Theo did list a Batman 17 with an "L" on the cover that he was claiming to be a Larson. I contacted him and said the book wasn't a Larson, being several years outside of the date parameters. His reply was rude and condescending, and he continued to list the book as such, so that was that.

Steve, Gotcha. I know that a simple "L" does not make a book a Larson. I may not own many, but I have seen tons of them and know the back story and distinct markings as well as you do.

It is also true that all comics with a penciled "L" are not Detroit Trolley copies although that is a little harder to tell sometimes.

My point was, for some reason, Theo didn't get that or care. You and I have discussed this before and I understand and know where you're coming from.

Wow, the GA boards are getting a little rough these days...

its a small world after all, I bought the clipped coupon copy from the original owner back in 74/75 at the time for 1k,,,sold it hal verb for 2K with 6 months as I got a better copy with a coupon...I assume this is the one steve owns...who hal sold it to...?

Steves 8.0 was a comics and comics copy which theo sold to geppi to who sold the 8.0 to steve I assume...small world

As has been pointed out. The clipped copy Fishler has is from the AC collection and was not circulated by you back in 74/75.

The other 8.0 copy is the copy Steve Lauterbach (perhaps this is who you meant) sold several years ago when it was a CGC 7.5 copy and has since been re-submited. Thankfully, Rob has archived an image of it on his blog (http://itsalljustcomics.com) which I reproduce below.

superman1cgc75-662x1024.jpg

Steve Lauterbach aka toychef. Now that is a name I haven't heard for awhile. Some real memories there.

Thanks for posting the Supes # 1 image

Much obliged !

lol. so he has nothing ? ha ha

doh!

Whoa, whoa now fella. Them's fightin' words. :preach:

It is also true that all comics with a penciled "L" are not Detroit Trolley copies although that is a little harder to tell sometimes.

This is true.

My point was, for some reason, Theo didn't get that or care.

Not surprising considering past unfathomable behavior.

Wow, the GA boards are getting a little rough these days...

You're not alone in observing this, Bob - it's amazing how deleterious that just a single disruptive entity or two can be to a discussion Board.

My Supes #1 has a clipped coupon and is now sitting in a 1.0 unrestored label. So it's possible that books with a clipped coupon can be graded as high as a 1.0, that is if the rest of the book looks higher grade.

And I will forever regret not buying that book the two times I called that shop and tried to negotiate with the owner. Each year the price went up a little more and I just couldn't pull the trigger. Forever kudos to you though, that was such a wise purchase.