• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! WHAT SHOULD I ORDER FROM DIAMOND AS A NEW STORE?

40 posts in this topic

Hey Guys. We have opened up a store front and have been dealing with vintage comics and back issues only. The old stuff has been good for us, and the Conventions have been Great. But would like to keep a continuous energy in the store. We would also like to nurse a more consistent and future store base with the introduction of new comics. Can anyone help with what are the necessary titles a store should carry? And any other POSITIVE(I always hear the negative already) advice with ordering through Diamond? Right now we will probably start with the minimum order which is about $450. Help Please.

Jeff

Walking Dead

Harley Quinn

Batman

Spider-Man

Star Wars

seem like winners to me

I totally agree with those as well as Deadpool,,Saga, Walking Dead and a couple other image titles. But I can only order so many of those books to get to the minimum. Probably going to order about 5-10 copies of all the mainstream stuff as Diamond recommended to start there. Just thought if there are other current titles by specific name not by character that I should buy?

Walking Dead

Harley Quinn

Batman

Spider-Man

Star Wars

seem like winners to me

Darth vader

Justice league

Star Wars is the best bet right now. Darth Vader as well as the SW main title.

Batman and Justice League are great titles with a lot of heat now.

well, everything jsilverjanet said I guess! hm

Do you want kids coming round? My 12 yr old loves Bat-Mite and The Squirrel Girl book.

I myself would stay away from the big cross-overs. Secret Wars is a huge bundle of comics and every store in creation has Convergence books at huge discounts.

Valiant is picking up I hear from my LCS as well.

Get the Walking Dead trades as well, they should sell continuously, especially if you have one of each in stock.

Manifest Destiny and Outcast seem like good sellers as well.

Perhaps just look at the Diamond top sellers and carry the top 25 titles or so.

Find out what's going to be worth a lot in a year, and then order a bunch of those in advance.

Seriously, though, if you're looking to show up on searches when people are looking for things later, I'd recommend getting some Valiant in stock. Some of their titles have really low numbers, but I feel are really strong books. Ninjak is one of their best books right now, so I can see people looking for those later on. I'd say that and Ivar, Timewalker, are probably their best offerings right now, and the numbers on Ivar are tiny. I've been buying a few extras each month specifically for that reason.

z6d1VIB.jpg

Find out what's going to be worth a lot in a year, and then order a bunch of those in advance.

Seriously, though, if you're looking to show up on searches when people are looking for things later, I'd recommend getting some Valiant in stock. Some of their titles have really low numbers, but I feel are really strong books. Ninjak is one of their best books right now, so I can see people looking for those later on. I'd say that and Ivar, Timewalker, are probably their best offerings right now, and the numbers on Ivar are tiny. I've been buying a few extras each month specifically for that reason.

If he has limited funds to spend on books, he shouldn't bother with Valiant. It isn't a big enough seller for a store just starting out with the funds he is talking about. He needs books with recognition that will move.

I agree with the other posters about Star Wars, Walking Dead, etc. Going with the big two (Marvel and DC) and throwing the better selling Image titles into the mix is a great way to start. As you start building a client base and figuring out what they want, you can branch out into the smaller publishers.

Do you know if you clients are going to be all adults or will you also have kids? If so, there are some strong selling kid books from IDW and Boom you'll want to add to the mix.

If he has limited funds to spend on books, he shouldn't bother with Valiant. It isn't a big enough seller for a store just starting out with the funds he is talking about. He needs books with recognition that will move.

I agree with the other posters about Star Wars, Walking Dead, etc. Going with the big two (Marvel and DC) and throwing the better selling Image titles into the mix is a great way to start. As you start building a client base and figuring out what they want, you can branch out into the smaller publishers.

Do you know if you clients are going to be all adults or will you also have kids? If so, there are some strong selling kid books from IDW and Boom you'll want to add to the mix.

^^

If you'll have kids around, My Little Pony & TMNT won't hurt you.

^^

If you'll have kids around, My Little Pony & TMNT won't hurt you.

That's great! Thanks for all the awesome info. as I have taken so much from everyone's posts already.

My 12 yr old loves Bat-Mite and The Squirrel Girl book.

I love the Squirrel Girl book too! So it's not just for 12 year olds.. Well, perhaps minds of a 12 year old. :)

EATS NUTS, KICKS BUTTS!!!

If nobody has mentioned it, Teenage mutant ninja turtles always sells out around here.