• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil Double Cover

39 posts in this topic

DD1_zpswj4iykfd.jpg

That book looks way better, and closer to grade, than the one he linked to by that "Other" grading company.

I guess you must be referring to the 7.5 grade since that's all you can see unless you have x-ray vision to enable you to see the interior 8.5 cover. lol

Actually, I've never fully understood why CGC bases the final grading on a double cover book by the grade of the interior cover only, with no weight given at all to the clearly visible outer cover. If anything, a better reflection of the accurate grade should be an average of both the interior and exterior cover grades. hm

Because people WILL tear off the outer cover if the whole book is graded down because of it. Guaranteed.

Having a "double cover" at 7.5 or even 8.0 isn't as good as a single cover 8.5.

So, CGC grades the inside book as if the outer cover didn't exist, but notes its "apparent" grade.

It is solid reasoning.

There's supposed to be an Action #1 double cover floating around.

I've never seen proof, so this is the best one I've seen.

I did once have a Whiz #53 double cover with the top cover signed by Beck. Actually i wish I'd kept that.

so are there any known double cover AF15, ASM1, FF1, TOS39, or JIM83s? Or is this the best 1st appearance double cover?

When I first got into Double Covers in 2001 there was a CGC 5.5 Double Cover Amazing Fantasy #15 up on ebay that sold for around 5k I have also seen a high grade X-Men #1 and there was also a nice Superboy #1 that sold a few years back from G.I.Joe's massive Collection. I have seen and have many other minor keys. 2c

DD1_zpswj4iykfd.jpg

That book looks way better, and closer to grade, than the one he linked to by that "Other" grading company.

I guess you must be referring to the 7.5 grade since that's all you can see unless you have x-ray vision to enable you to see the interior 8.5 cover. lol

Actually, I've never fully understood why CGC bases the final grading on a double cover book by the grade of the interior cover only, with no weight given at all to the clearly visible outer cover. If anything, a better reflection of the accurate grade should be an average of both the interior and exterior cover grades. hm

Because people WILL tear off the outer cover if the whole book is graded down because of it. Guaranteed.

So, CGC grades the inside book as if the outer cover didn't exist, but notes its "apparent" grade.

It is solid reasoning.

Yeah, yeah, I know the theory about tearing off the outer cover! But if you do that you no longer have a double cover book.

I don't mind paying a premium for a double cover if both the interior and exterior cover grades out the same. Are there any examples of such a double cover book as far as you know? Are there also any examples where the interior cover grades out lower than the exterior cover due to a visible defect on the interior cover and how does CGC determine the final grade on this type of double cover? ???

Not too sure if I want to pay extra for a 8.5 interior cover when all you are going to be seeing is the 7.5 exterior cover as long as it is sitting in the slab. Then again, that's just me, although the extra cover does provide nice protection for the inside cover. (thumbs u

I saw a 9.6 ow/w go for 21k a few years back during a slow CC sale. I think 15k is a little steep. I guess it's like coins. People will pay through the nose for a double strike 55 penny. (was it 55?)

I sold a IM55 double cover to a boardie. I just don't see the wow of it. Wasn't there a Hulk 181 9.8 that sold for 20k about 3 years ago too?

The holiest of grails: Action #1 with dbl cover, dbl every wrap.

essentially 2 Action #1's

Someone would probably call it a defect and cut the top cover off each one and return it to DC lol

Someone would probably call it a defect and cut the top cover off each one and return it to DC lol

Most likely take out the staples and construct two full singles..or cut em up completely and sell by panel,page.....it is like when antique dealers used to,and still do,destroyed rare art books to sell the prints off individually, or destroying autograph books.... :sick:(tsk):pullhair::frustrated:

Artboy99 has a beauty Planet with a double cover while we are on the topic....he has posted it a few times...gorgeous....his whole collection is,but i believe that is his fave,and it is nifty to see him showing one cover under the other on such an older book.

It is solid reasoning.

Yeah, yeah, I know the theory about tearing off the outer cover! But if you do that you no longer have a double cover book.

I don't mind paying a premium for a double cover if both the interior and exterior cover grades out the same. Are there any examples of such a double cover book as far as you know? Are there also any examples where the interior cover grades out lower than the exterior cover due to a visible defect on the interior cover and how does CGC determine the final grade on this type of double cover? ???

Not too sure if I want to pay extra for a 8.5 interior cover when all you are going to be seeing is the 7.5 exterior cover as long as it is sitting in the slab. Then again, that's just me, although the extra cover does provide nice protection for the inside cover. (thumbs u

I have seen a couple cases where the interior cover is not as good as the exterior. I believe that CGC uses the grade of the highest graded cover.

I know the theory about tearing off the outer cover!
It's not "theory." I have had people admit to me of tearing off outer covers of expensive books because they believed they would sell for more. They did this even knowing that it wouldn't affect the grade on the label.

CGC's grading approach for double covers is fine.

The market doesn't care. The novelty of having a double cover pales in comparison to that inner cover being a higher grade, especially for a key.

I don't mind paying a premium for a double cover if both the interior and exterior cover grades out the same. Are there any examples of such a double cover book as far as you know?

Yes, many.

Are there also any examples where the interior cover grades out lower than the exterior cover due to a visible defect on the interior cover and how does CGC determine the final grade on this type of double cover? ???

Theoretically, the book would probably have a net grade of whatever cover was the better cover, but typically, if the inner cover has damage, the outer cover has more. I've yet to see an example where the inner cover was in worse shape than the outer cover, but of course such examples exist, if rarely encountered.

Which is why double covers remain a novelty, and aren't given a serious premium in the market.

I saw a 9.6 ow/w go for 21k a few years back during a slow CC sale. I think 15k is a little steep. I guess it's like coins. People will pay through the nose for a double strike 55 penny. (was it 55?)

Doubled die. The coin wasn't struck twice; the die itself was being given impressions from the master hub (all dies are given multiple impressions), and during the process, the die rotated, creating the "double image" and nobody caught it. That die was then used to strike all the known "double die" 1955 cents.

If it was a double strike, which is very common, the details of the first strike would be smashed. There is little premium for double struck coins.

Double die:

1955-double-die-penny.png

Double struck:

10480227o.jpg