• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoned Age comix appreciation thread

300 posts in this topic

So the new prize of my collection arrived today, it's a tabloid that only has one Underground Comix page in it (the white/light blue issue on the left). But here's a little history regarding it and why it's so important.

None of the history books on Underground Comix correctly identify this page, that's how rare this item is. The bootlegged/lifted R. Crumb "Head Comix" Hey Boparee Bop! page was lifted from Yarrowstalks #2 (not #1 as per Dez Skinn's book, or #3).

It's in a lot better condition than what I could have imagined considering it's from 1967, a tabloid, and only had about 500 copies more or less printed.

Appears this is 2 issues (or 2 parts of 1 issue and a mini-poster included on the right), but it would seem it's 2 issues as they are both labeled .25 cents and only one states "Final Star Edition". I've been informed there may have been another issue. Plymell thinks "the cover to the 2nd "edition" was a magical space train in the sky or something." (Update: Plymell has informed me that these are the only two issues and that there was different art included in copies of the yellow 2nd one "Final Star Edition) in the middle, the magic space train cover he mentions is actually the back cover of it.) The light bluish copy on the left states Fall 1967 and interestingly my (error) copy has 1 sheet = 4 pages in there twice. The "Head Comix" is lifted from Yarrowstalks #2 "Hey Boparee Bop!" page. The "Final Star Edition" contains lots of art, including a centerfold by R. Branaman, Charles' friend at the time who brought Donahue over to his place and introduced Don to Plymell.

I hold this and think about how this must be so rare (about 500 copies total of the 2 editions and how many copies do you think people kept intact if at all?) and that this is actually Plymell's first printed R. Crumb work about 6 months before Zap Comix #1 (1st print) and that it's actually bootlegged/lifted unauthorized R. Crumb artwork by Charles. The Last Times is credited at the back of R. Crumb's Head Comix, so I assumed Crumb gave permission after the fact.

And just to add in the light blue one it's Vol. 1 No. 1 and has something dated September 8, 1967 and since it's the Fall 1967 issue it's probably safe to assume it was printed in September 1967, this tabloid also has articles "Day The Records Went Up" by William Burroughs and "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" by Charles Bukowski. (That's Allen Ginsberg on the cover praying.)

59426-DSCF8958.JPG.612088d30e4a250edd16adc42354dc1b.JPG

That is some serious esoterica! I'd never even heard of this.

be careful Guy - the tabloid underground/ underground newspaper world is collecting quicksand. Where do you stop - Rand Holmes Georgia Straights and Crumb cover EVOs are just the start from what I can see.

By the way - once I've moved I'll try and post an all-comix issue of EVO from around 1970 (with a Spain robot cover) that I have. Unfortunately due to storage difficulties it's gotten a little tan over the years, but I've never seen another copy.

be careful Guy - the tabloid underground/ underground newspaper world is collecting quicksand. Where do you stop - Rand Holmes Georgia Straights and Crumb cover EVOs are just the start from what I can see...

that is a pretty cool item and likely safe to say that you have among the best remaining copies!

i loved the quote above.... not only that, but tabloids are just so difficult to store (unfolded being preferred). anyways, what a joy to see an old thread back and with such a unique item!

Thanks you two, here's another special Ug item I don't think many/any of you have seen.

Perhaps the very first Underground Comix ever!

1963 Baby, 1963! That's tied with Bode's Das Kampf (May 1963), just wish I could find out when in 1963 it was printed. It's #1700 in the Kennedy guide (a little info. about Branaman, he's only got 2 items listed in the Kennedy guide, which is Plymell's first printed Underground item (4 years before The Last Times, and Donahue's first printed Underground item, his Momma-Daddie also from 1967). Plymell doesn't even recall printing it, although he recalls it. I might meet up with Branaman next week, so maybe he can shed more light on it, but he informed me that he doesn't even own a copy of it. (the bright florescent day glow red doesn't really show up well with the scanner)

60508-RobertRB.JPG.b1237f33f3432f4914bb2f6b4dd4bae9.JPG

60509-RobertRBb.JPG.e6ca64fc836dedbccf700f582b37152d.JPG

60510-RobertRBi.JPG.54670b38a9afd465b35b9169a77ef111.JPG

"So like does Existence precede Essence or what?"

Pretty deep.. hm

This thread has been buried (pun intended) for too long, so thought I would post this Cherry with all the interest in Cherry lately.

62838.jpg

There were two issues of this mini being given away at the 93 SDCC by Dan Fogel - for better or worse when he asked me if I wanted my copies autographed he included dialog in a word balloon coming out of Cherry's mouth. Cool at the time - but I kinda wish my copies were "clean" now.

How scarce are they?

Just rummaging through this old thread and thought I would post something to bring it up from the grave.

Here's a scan of a very hard to find first print of this one.

Never seen that before. EC homage/parody covers are a virtual sub-genre of undergrounds.

In celebration for receiving my copies of the Fogel Supplement, thought I would bump this thread.

By the way, if you're an Underground Comix fan and an Alan Moore fan, you might want to pick up his U.K. magazine, Dodgem Logic #2 for a surprise mini that's the only comic book that was drawn AND written by Alan Moore.

I'm in the market for a copy of Jay Kennedy's UG price guide from 1982. I would like to avoid eBay and Amazon if I can. Low grade is fine with me as long as it's complete. PM me if you have a copy you would like to sell.

I'm in the market for a copy of Jay Kennedy's UG price guide from 1982. I would like to avoid eBay and Amazon if I can. Low grade is fine with me as long as it's complete. PM me if you have a copy you would like to sell.

Brian, I've got a spare soft-copy but it's high-grade.

Brian, I've got a spare soft-copy but it's high-grade.

Thanks for the great deal on your HG copy Joseph, it's much appreciated. :whee: