• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

another Tampa comic con report

32 posts in this topic

hello all...

not sure if I have done a con report yet or not, this year, but seeing Dale do one motivated me to post a quick one...

unlike Dales, I took virtually no photos this time, outside of a few shots of our booth...

we also did something "different" this time...we bought a 4 booth island, versus our normal 2 booth set up....so, this was a "test" for us as well...

paying for 4 booths vs 2, paying for 2 hotel rooms vs 1, paying for a second rental van and 2 additional New Force staffers all came at a price...so, I was very curious to see if it would pay off...

First off, we got there right at 2pm for our scheduled load in time...the weather was "threatening" but no rain.... that changed very quickly....

about 20 minutes in the rain came down...drenching us, and our books....it took 15 loads to get both vans unloaded...first 4 were rain free, but consisted of racks and stuff that are on top of the comics in the van..

it was incredibly frustrating , but what could we do...

after about an hour and a half of unloading in the rain, we set the booth up...

now, as mentioned, I have never set up a booth this size, so it was new territory for me...

this is what came up with.... (no idea how to link youtube better than this )

So Friday we did a couple of nice big $ package sales...started the con off nicely...

Saturday I was completely unaware of the monsoon outside, but apparently it "trapped" folks that were already in the hall, and they spent money...we literally just took money on Saturday from hundreds of great buyers (mostly on the $1 side, volume wise)...

Sunday was also a good day of sales, and I had prayed all weekend for no rain during load out, and low and behold, we had an hour and a half dry window...got loaded out, and as we drove away, the rain started! whew!

My real question was how would the $1, 2/$1 side do...well, all told I believe we sold over 6,000 comics over there over the weekend...it was packed pretty much the entire time....I think I broke down about 25 long boxes at shows end....

on the "other" side, we sold approximately 125 raw comics priced from $50-495 and I believe another 25 or 30 slabbed books from $500-$38,000...

some random sales highlights (honestly, at times we were so busy, I didn't even have time to list what we sold)....

xmen 266 x 5 different copies (4 raw, 1 slab)

Hulk 182

Miracleman 24, 9.8 slabbed

Killing Joke raw x 4 copies

BM Adv Mad love raw x 3 copies

ASM 300 raw x 5 copies (didn't sell any of the slabbed copies, but sold 5 of the 7 raw I brought)

Batman adv 12...sold 5 copies total ...2 raw (7.0 and 8.5), slabbed 8.5, 9.6, 9.8

Xmen 94 x 2 (one raw, one slabbed 6.0)

Wolverine #1 mini x 4 (all raw)

ASM 4 cgc 4.5

Hulk 102

Marvel Premier 15 x 3 (iron fist)

Secret wars 8

Nova 1 x 2

New Mutants 87 x 2

ASM 238 x 3

Vengeance of Bane

Uncanny xmen 142

TOS 52

Batman 155

Strange tales 65

Teen Titans 60

Strange tales 169x 2

BM Harley Quinn NN x 3

Brave and the bold 28 cgc 1.8 (sold it 2x actually...first buyer left in booth after it was paid for , for me to hold, and while I wasn't looking another buyer tried to buy it...luckily I caught!)

GL 85x2

ASM 50 cgc 5.5 SS

ASM 50

Harley Quinn 1

Asm 36 (9/11tribute)

asm 157 cgc 9.8

MP 47 x 2

batman 357

SM Lois Lane 70

SM Pal Jimmy 134 x 2

X-men 1 cgc 5.0

Hulk 181 cgc 7.5

Hulk 181 slabbed 7.5

Hulk 181 cgc 9.2

Hulk 181 slabbed 7.0

ASM 194 x 2

Daredevil 1 cgc 4.5

daredevil 1 cgc 5.0

TOS 39 cgc 4.5

Ghost rider 1 x2

MSpotlight 5 x 2

New Mutants 98 cgc 9.8 and a cgc 9.6

New Mutants 98 raw x 3 copies

MSH 13

Heroes for Hire Luke cage x 2

Conan #1 x 2

Iron Fist 1x 2

Iron fist 14x2

Iron Man 55 cgc 8.0 and 8.5

Deadpool 1

FF 52 raw x 3

TOS 57

JIM 99 and 108

Strange tales 180

FF 45 x2

WWBN 32

Batman 189

All Star 8 cgc 5.0 to a non attendee of the show, but sold during the show

Action comics 3 cgc 3.5

Action comics 9 cgc 4.0

Action comics 15 cgc 5.0

Superman 14 cgc 7.5

Superman 76 cgc 8.5

Sold multiple Iron man 128 for Layton signing....sold 10-12 diff neal adams GL and Batman's...

was a GREAT sales show overall

Did your experiment work out profit wise?

yes...the 6000 books that sold paid for the additional 2 booths, the van, the hotels and meals for 2 New force staffers and their salaries and a bonus! and some profit left over.... plus it moved 25+ long boxes of books that had been long exposed to and shopped over by my locals... win/win!

Amazing books and setup Rick! I appreciate the breakdown and glad it went so well for you. I've always been intrigued with the seller side of larger cons and this further makes me appreciate all that goes into it.

I echo this sentiment, I've always been intrigued by what it would take, and had considered setting up at my local con, obviously without a store inventory that wasn't feasible, but I've been selling at a couple of local "geek garage sales" this summer and truly enjoying it. Trying to figure out how to maybe step it up a bit in the future (without it becoming a full time gig).

Rick,

Looking at your sales list, I don't see any Hulk 1 sales despite having multiple copies available (e.g. using your both pic as a reference). Has this book cooled in your mind?

It was a highly requested book. I'm just not "giving" them away right now (thumbs u

Rick,

Looking at your sales list, I don't see any Hulk 1 sales despite having multiple copies available (e.g. using your both pic as a reference). Has this book cooled in your mind?

It was a highly requested book. I'm just not "giving" them away right now (thumbs u

Gotcha