• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are signature series worth getting and should artists charge more for CGC book?

427 posts in this topic

I think that the issue here is that the equilibrium of the North vs. South Poles is out of whack.

I mean, when seals and elephants are considering the overthrow of the polar bears as the dominate species in the artic, then we must consider possible outliers.

Couple that with the increased T5 speeds they're experiencing in Bangladesh and New Zealand, I'd say that the people there are eating more avocados than ever.

Best reply ever :golfclap:

If you permit Canadians to bid on your eBay auctions, that market has dried up. Our dollars were at parity a year ago, but the Canadian dollar now trades around 75 cents US due to the decline in the price of crude oil. So it will be along wait before Canadians can bid/buy on eBay again.

not that i have been doing a done of selling on ebay, but yes, i haven't seen much from canadians and it was about 10% of my sales before. i got some low end best offers that i ignored, but that's about it. also, because i say i only ship flat rate priority envelope, that may scare some off, but I can stick a few purchases in there.

I doubt conventions have much at all to do with eBay sales. I also suspect the people buying runs on eBay and the people spending hundreds and thousands just to attend a convention are not the same people. I buy comics, and am absolutely not interested in paying to attend a convention. That's money that could go toward buying comics.

I had three auctions end last night for disappointing prices on some pretty key books, so maybe.

In one case, a double signed book sold for less ($305 vs. $350) than an unsigned book sold for last week. That always frosts me. All that extra work and trouble for a loss. Yet, when priced at $450 with best offer, nothing. No bites, no offers, nothing.

:shrug:

That is why I let others such as yourself play the yellow label game since I do believe there are more Universal buyers than Yellow label buyers for the same book in grade.

That's fine. I wonder if all these creators charging ridiculous prices for their signatures (Yes, Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee, and yes, Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee and Len Wein and others) will bring their prices down, when they realize that their signatures aren't the colossal money makers they think they are?

Traditionally you see a slowdown from June to August every year. For me this year its not been as bad. I might have a bad week then the next week I am buried in sales. Then again I am not a huge seller nor do I do very many auctions.

Each seller/buyer is different, but the selection of books helps. Building a clientele, accepting overseas money(Had one from Russia last week), pricing fairly according to going market, grading well, packing well will bring you return business.

Over the years it also pinpoint times to buy as seller as well and get remarkable deals.

I had three auctions end last night for disappointing prices on some pretty key books, so maybe.

In one case, a double signed book sold for less ($305 vs. $350) than an unsigned book sold for last week. That always frosts me. All that extra work and trouble for a loss. Yet, when priced at $450 with best offer, nothing. No bites, no offers, nothing.

That is why I let others such as yourself play the yellow label game since I do believe there are more Universal buyers than Yellow label buyers for the same book in grade.

That's fine. I wonder if all these creators charging ridiculous prices for their signatures (Yes, Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee, and yes, Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee and Len Wein and others) will bring their prices down, when they realize that their signatures aren't the colossal money makers they think they are?

Todd and Stan helped this book by maybe $800-$900, no?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1963-1st-Series-300-CGC-9-8-SS-1235659015-/311391655292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item488063957c

Todd and Stan helped this book by maybe $800-$900, no?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1963-1st-Series-300-CGC-9-8-SS-1235659015-/311391655292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item488063957c

Counterpoint:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-COMICS-Presents-26-CGC-9-6-SS-Signed-Perez-Wolfman-1st-New-Teen-Titans-/191653251718?rd=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-Presents-26-CGC-Graded-9-6-Signed-by-George-Perez-1st-New-Teen-Titans-/151703916359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2352420f47

And your copy was not OW, but it did have that bit of a miswrap, which might have turned off buyers looking for a better centered copy

The price on that book, SS or not, jumps around 10-20% from sale to sale.

And nobody cares about Marv Wolfman. Perez I would think would help though.

Does Wolfman actually charge?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-Presents-26-CGC-Graded-9-6-Signed-by-George-Perez-1st-New-Teen-Titans-/151703916359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2352420f47

And your copy was not OW, but it did have that bit of a miswrap, which might have turned off buyers looking for a better centered copy

Yeah, that was my point. That sale as A. in June, B. a BIN, and C. was still only $35 higher, making it a total wash, over this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-Presents-26-CGC-9-6-1st-New-Teen-Titans-/161767698763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25aa1b314b

And no, unless it's very bad, people aren't paying massive differences in price for a "bit of a miswrap."

Yes, Wolfman charges.

Nobody cares about Wolfman....?

The point, of course, is that you can pick out the 9.8 ASM #300s and say "look, Stan and Todd's sigs added a lot to this!", but over the vast swath, sigs aren't adding the value that these creators have been conned into thinking they do...and no one's telling them otherwise.

Yeah, that was my point. That sale as A. in June, B. a BIN, and C. was still only $35 higher, making it a total wash, over this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-Presents-26-CGC-9-6-1st-New-Teen-Titans-/161767698763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25aa1b314b

And no, unless it's very bad, people aren't paying massive differences in price for a "bit of a miswrap."

Yes, Wolfman charges.

The point, of course, is that you can pick out the 9.8 ASM #300s and say "look, Stan and Todd's sigs added a lot to this!", but over the vast swath, sigs aren't adding the value that these creators have been conned into thinking they do...and no one's telling them otherwise.

When Stan Lee passes it will have zero impact on his Sigs.

He has signed so much he lost value on himself.

Yes, Wolfman charges.

Obviously, Herb's passing had zero impact on his sigs.

Oh well.

Yes, Wolfman charges.

Obviously, Herb's passing had zero impact on his sigs.

Oh well.

I have had many boardies buy CGC 9.8's from me just to turn them around and crack them out for sig series.

If you or anyone can make extra money doing it more power to you.

I just can't be bothered having any of my books come back a grade lower after yet another round of transit, CGC grading, and fees.

If you permit Canadians to bid on your eBay auctions, that market has dried up. Our dollars were at parity a year ago, but the Canadian dollar now trades around 75 cents US due to the decline in the price of crude oil. So it will be along wait before Canadians can bid/buy on eBay again.

Agreed, I've bought very little here or on ebay over the last year. Every time I see a tempting book I calculate the exchange and shipping and move on.

Does Len Wein charge too? I got him and Wrightson a couple years ago for free. I wasn't stacking them up. Just a couple books signed at the bottom of the splash page. No charge...

Does Len Wein charge too? I got him and Wrightson a couple years ago for free. I wasn't stacking them up. Just a couple books signed at the bottom of the splash page. No charge...

Yes, Lein charges $20 for "CGC books", because he (erroneously) believes that those getting them slabbed are turning his books into "trading cards" (his words.)

Yes, Lein charges $20 for "CGC books", because he (erroneously) believes that those getting them slabbed are turning his books into "trading cards" (his words.)

I don't blame any comic book artist/writer for charging for their signature if the book is going to be graded.

They would be dumb not to.

Did I use the correct form of to there RMA? :baiting:

I don't blame any comic book artist/writer for charging for their signature if the book is going to be graded.

Yes, congratulations.

There's nothing wrong with anyone charging whatever they want for what they possess. However...if they are doing so in the erroneous belief that other people are "making money off their sigs", and charging *different* amounts (as some facilitators have convinced them to do) for CGC books, that's where the problem lies.

Do sigs add value? Yes, obviously, in many cases they do. But what amount is that value? In the case of my DC Presents #26, it was negative value.

But these creators think their sigs are adding value.

What's the problem?

95% or more of a book's value is in its condition, about which no creator has anything whatsoever to do. They didn't keep that copy in great shape...the owner(s) did.

If I hand Mike Zeck, who charges $10 a book for "CGC books" and $3 (I think) for non-CGC books....he's operating under the erroneous assumption that his signature is adding value to ANYTHING he signs that is destined for CGC.

This isn't true.

If I put a 9.8 Spidey #293 in front of him, yes, value is added.

If I put a 9.2 Spidey #293 in front of him, guess what?

No value added. In fact, the book is worth less than it costs to get slabbed.

But Mr. Zeck thinks his sig adds value to ANYTHING destined for CGC.

And that's the problem.

Yes, congratulations.

There's nothing wrong with anyone charging whatever they want for what they possess. However...if they are doing so in the erroneous belief that other people are "making money off their sigs", and charging *different* amounts (as some facilitators have convinced them to do) for CGC books, that's where the problem lies.

Do sigs add value? Yes, obviously, in many cases they do. But what amount is that value? In the case of my DC Presents #26, it was negative value.

But these creators think their sigs are adding value.

What's the problem?

95% or more of a book's value is in its condition, about which no creator has anything whatsoever to do. They didn't keep that copy in great shape...the owner(s) did.

If I hand Mike Zeck, who charges $10 a book for "CGC books" and $3 (I think) for non-CGC books....he's operating under the erroneous assumption that his signature is adding value to ANYTHING he signs that is destined for CGC.

This isn't true.

If I put a 9.8 Spidey #293 in front of him, yes, value is added.

If I put a 9.2 Spidey #293 in front of him, guess what?

No value added. In fact, the book is worth less than it costs to get slabbed.

But Mr. Zeck thinks his sig adds value to ANYTHING destined for CGC.

And that's the problem.

See I disagree.

How does any artist/writer differentiate from a monetary or collector use of their signature once they see the CGC witness. (shrug)

Rob Liefeld charges I believe $30 now to sign a NM #98. Honestly I don't blame him.

I wouldn't want to set-up at a show just so I can sign books for guys that are looking to make money on my time with my signature.

Again I get it not everyone that wants a signature on a comic book that gets sent to CGC is a flipper, but many of them are so when they see books they are signing sell for all this money it has to rub them the wrong way.

I mean would you sit there at a booth sign books for FREE just to know you are not getting compensated for your time and adding value to such sales?