• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Greatest American Hero

56 posts in this topic

That's one of those shows that I simply have too much affection for from my childhood to really take a hard look at now. I'd rather just be glad that I enjoyed it back then.

I do have the season one DVD set, and watching it made me smile with nostalgia... NOT with "hey, this was really excellent TV!"

The concept is ripe for a modern retelling though. I bet someone could do something interesting with it... steering clear of the campiness. Has obvious elements of Green Lantern / Nova but with the added tie in of the government involvement.

I don't know... I could see it lasting for a season or two on some network.

I loved that show for all it was - pure silly super hero fantasy. What kid wouldn't wish they had that suit? Sure-- the special effects were weak-- all of the shows were like that from The Hulk to Wonder Woman and even the 6 million dollar man.

It was an "in the moment" experience and I would not change anything other than giving it a proper send off (or was there one? who can remember/maybe I missed it in the time before VHS or DVRs), They can try to retell the story- and I will watch that too. But I don't know if you can recapture that stuff.

I would add Saturday morning shows like Land of the Lost to that list while we are at it. Just pure simple fun. Oops-- forgot Shazam and Isis, probably more.

Loved that show but yes you watch some of the shows we watched as kids and thought were great as kids and they ofcourse dont hold up. Greatest American Hero , Night Rider . etc. Even one of my all time favorites The Six Million Dollar Man which I still watch when its on. You see it now and I it seems cheesy etc. But again the special effects were non exsistant. The special effects they did back then are what kids now do on there Iphones. The kids today watching show today, when they are 30-40 might say the same thing based on technology.

Kid's shows aren't supposed to hold up to adult viewing.

I agree that I was glued to this show and have fond memories of it.

True, same with Six Million Dollar Man. Loved that show as a kid. I actively avoid watching reruns so I don't destroy what I've built up in my head.

William Katt might be one of the nicest and most genuine guys you would ever have a chance to meet. He's very outgoing and conscientious and you really wish him all the success in the world after meeting him.

True, same with Six Million Dollar Man. Loved that show as a kid. I actively avoid watching reruns so I don't destroy what I've built up in my head.

William Katt might be one of the nicest and most genuine guys you would ever have a chance to meet. He's very outgoing and conscientious and you really wish him all the success in the world after meeting him.

This is absolutely true. And he look completely different now!

Those are wise words....

I tried to watch the first episode of Space:1999 the other day. My, oh my, how painful that was. And I used to love that show as a kid. :facepalm:

Wonder Woman, other than Ms. Carter being mesmerizing to look at, was a profoundly horrible show written for 5 year olds, which is probably why I liked it when I was 5. Doesn't stop me from watching it....