• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rankings for Dealers

385 posts in this topic

"scans on request but you just bought the book regardless with no negotiation allowed" policy.

I don't see Vince saying that at all. Locked into a price, yes. Locked into a sale, no. I see him saying if you are WILLING to pay the listed price for the book. In other words, don't ask for a scan and make a counter-offer. But nowhere in anything he said implied you were obliged to buy the book. Just that, if you did buy the book, it would be at the listed price.

At least that is my take.

maybe so POVVY. But any preconditions seem a bit harsh just for asking to see the item you wish to buy, no?

"scans on request but you just bought the book regardless with no negotiation allowed" policy.

I don't see Vince saying that at all. Locked into a price, yes. Locked into a sale, no. I see him saying if you are WILLING to pay the listed price for the book. In other words, don't ask for a scan and make a counter-offer. But nowhere in anything he said implied you were obliged to buy the book. Just that, if you did buy the book, it would be at the listed price.

At least that is my take.

maybe so POVVY. But any preconditions seem a bit harsh just for asking to see the item you wish to buy, no?

I agree. Scans should be provided for any book that Metro sells. If it's worth their time to sell it, they should be ready and willing to provide a scan.

Of course, with Metro's customer base and inventory, they can make rules like this "no scans below $500 unless you want to buy at the listed price" policy and still do great business. (On the other hand, as Aman says, what if I disagree with your grading, but still want to make a counter offer?)

But when you compare Metro to dealers who will give you a scan of any book with no hassle, that's why one dealer has a higher customer service score than another. It's that simple. You want your customers to appreciate your customer service a bit more? Ease up on the scan policy.

People like to see what they're buying and they don't like to be made to feel like a small fish, even if they ARE a small fish. The scan policy has exactly that effect though on people who look for sub-$500 books.

But you're still my second favorite dealer. poke2.gifflowerred.gif

This is a great thread. The grading discrepancy issue is why I hardly buy anything but cgc books. I've had great customer service with jason ewert. got a broken slab and he took care of the whole reslabbing issue. way above and beyond. if I ever buy a raw book again (doubtful), I just want it to be the grade it was sold to me as.

Seeing that Vincent came on and acknowledged his ranking (Who wouldn't when they rank you #1) I figured it was ok to come on and comment. I was very surprised at some of the rankings as far as reputation goes. And for me to comment on some of them puts me in the position of "Putting other dealers down" or "Petty jealously" since some of them are in the same business as I am. I think if this ranking were opened to a wider range of collectors you would see some reputation numbers plummet. Two notable dealers that are missing is Joe Vernault and Jim Payette who quite frankly blow me away based on past sales and depth of Golden Age inventory. The main fault of the two of them is lack of internet presence which quite frankly limits their exposure to the CGC board.

As far as my personality goes I will never be as charming as Vinny or engage in long conversations like Ted. I think I will engage you more than Harley and if eye appeals catches your eye I will not match the physique of Mark Wilson (It's that California wine).

The poll to see would be if dealers ranked each other but this would require their participation and honest assessments of whether they respect you or not. You want name calling, that's the poll to run!

Two notable dealers that are missing is Joe Vernault and Jim Payette who quite frankly blow me away based on past sales and depth of Golden Age inventory. The main fault of the two of them is lack of internet presence which quite frankly limits their exposure to the CGC board.

I'll report on this topic a little more later, but when I went to MegaCon yesterday, and talked to dealers (and Steve Borock confirmed this also happens at coin conventions), the ones that did well.......

Were the ones that sold to OTHER DEALERS before the show.

While MegaCon is probably one of the weakest national conventions, I think this holds true at most conventions.

Dealers don't make a fortune selling to the general collecting base at conventions. I'm not saying it can't happen every now and then, especially if a new collection of ungraded books is brought to the convention, but it always seems the happy dealers are the ones who said they sold a lot of books, prior to the doors opening to the public.

AND THEREFORE, to me, if you don't have an INTERNET PRESENCES, you are no longer a big time player.

And why is that? The reason is that a dealer buying from another dealer usually writes large checks and for a large pile of books. We like to see large piles and big checks. We don't like cherry picking, complaining about the grade (Then why pick it out?) and lowball offers. If a dealer does that to me I ask to come to his booth and be given the same right to lowball (That doesn't get you a smile 9 times out of 10). Do onto others as they would do onto you. We also don't stand there and continue to chew the guy down or complain about their pricing since if they knew me they would know that I am not known for doing that and also I will come back if happy. An example would be the last Boston show were I dropped over $6,000 at one booth. Even though the dealer didn't discount much I also knew what I was buying and nobody forced a gun to my head to write the check. I could have waited for the show to end, I could have waited until I see him again and then again I could have watched the books go bye bye. All to often I think that in the case of certain books there are those of you content to wave goodbye instead of pulling the trigger. 5 years later I see the post "I should have bought it".

Not that I'm name calling (heaven forfend) but I'd give Bob the award for most (brutally) honest dealer. What you see is what you get with the Blazing One.

And then there's his rather weird taste in music........

aqualung.jpg

screwy.gif

Not that I'm name calling (heaven forfend) but I'd give Bob the award for most (brutally) honest dealer. What you see is what you get with the Blazing One.

aqualung.jpg

screwy.gif

Trust you to quote the picture after I edited it 'cause I thought it could be funnier.....

Looks like I've got my very own stalker - every time I post, there he is waiting to pounce with his screwy.gif graemlin. 893censored-thumb.gif

aqualung.jpg

screwy.gif

Trust you to quote the picture after I edited it 'cause I thought it could be funnier.....

Looks like I've got my very own stalker - every time I post, there he is waiting to pounce with his screwy.gif graemlin. 893censored-thumb.gif

Well...consider yourself one of the "lucky" few! headbang.gif

aqualung.jpg

screwy.gif

Gee, I feel so honored. tongue.gif

aqualung.jpg

screwy.gif

Shouldn't it be "honoured"...you damn ! poke2.gif

aqualung.jpg

screwy.gif

Shouldn't it be "honoured"...you damn ! poke2.gif

Forgot I was speaking to a Canuck. And I'm not a , you twonk!