• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rankings for Dealers

385 posts in this topic

When I started collecting SA and GA books a couple of years a go, I appreciated the fact that Vince talked to me in a respectful manner. Since I was new to the back-issue market, he gave me some pointers, complimented me on a couple of purchases I made on eBay (which weren't much), and gave me a good impression of the hobby.

Now don't get me wrong, I love dealing with people that are honest and tell it like it is (whether it be in the workplace or at home). However, initial meetings are key and someone shouldn't be in your face from the get-go, before earning your trust.

What I'm saying is that I'm just not that impressed with folks that "tell it like it is". It's nothing more than their personal version of reality. It's your opinion. The odds of you being dead wrong about something are about the same as anyone else's around here.

Do I give more weight to your perspective on the matters we discuss here than most? You bet. A ton. Most of the time I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I guess it depends on what you want. If you really want to make a case, and convince others of your opinion, then bluntness isn't always going to do it. If you really don't give a rat's asss and just want to vent, then brutal honesty should just about fill the bill. And you'll end up being seen as a crank.

As an example, I understand that you may have a gripe with Doug Schmell. You made that clear the first time. The second and third time? Not so effective. It really bothers me. I'm not saying you don't have a legit gripe with Doug. But it sure sounds like a personal matter to me. I've dealt with both of you. You both have completely different styles. But I'm not hanging out with you guys, ...I've got my buds. I'm buying books from you, that's all. I trust you on these matters. I trust Doug. I've never heard Doug say a negative word about you or any other dealer for that matter. Not that we are friends, but if you were a friend of mine, I would tell you to get it out of your system and move on.

Being honest as a lawyer is different from being honest as a seller of comic books. It is not a lawyer's job to tell the court what the lawyer thinks is the right and just result that should occur. It is the lawyer's job to represent his client and present his client's case in the most favorable light to his client, while remaining within the limits of the truth. What I mean by this, is that if a lawyer isn't spinning facts to make them sound the best they can for his client, he isn't doing his job properly. I realize that you have a different perspective from this, coming from the DA's office. And as a DA, I'd say that I agree with you. You represent the public when you're a DA, so there is no justification for spinning facts. I believe that changes when you become the advocate for a private client.

This is not really related to the "two-facedness" issue you were discussing. That's something else entirely. I don't like people who are fake either. But just as much as I don't like people who are fake, I don't tend to like people who hate everyone and let everyone know it.

I'm not sure what the other lawyers on the board think about this, but my experience has always been in dealing with courts, victims and clients is to be straightforward and honest and to simply give the truth directly and not dance around what's really going on. Yes, I agree that diplomacy and tact are important, especially in customer driven fields, but I see lawyers engaging everyday in their passive/aggressive dealings with one another, say one thing to the face of the person and two seconds later continuously b**ch about how they don't like the person. Or lying to clients. Or whatever. My point is, a lot of people are two faced (not like the Batman villian), and I get the sense that people are avoiding saying directly to someone what they actually think. But, I think your point is well taken Red.

I don't think Bob is claiming that his words are the "truth" but rather how he feels. He's telling it like it is from his perspective. That said, I'm sure there are times when Bob wishes perhaps he chose a more diplomatic route. I know that's true for me.

Nobody has a monopoly on the truth. I respect Bob, but I am wary when someone claims to "tell it like it is." Diplomacy and tact are not the same thing as kissing asss, in my book.

Having said that, the purpose of this thread is not to pick on Bob Storms, who I consider to be a very good and trustworthy dealer. I'd rather see you guys discuss the relative merits of people on the list and people not on the list. For Payette and Vernault, how about an explanation from someone who has used them about why they should score well?

Thanks for refocusing an otherwise good thread. (Maybe we should change "personality" to customer service or politeness and change customer service to shipping / packing? Rating people's "personalities" can only lead to trouble!)

I've known Joe V. since the 1980s when he worked with Jay Maybruck for Sparkle City. Nice guy and very tight grader. I have always sought him out at shows but have never done mail order or internet with him. He has had my want list memorized since the 1980s. Amazing personal touch!

Jim Payette does sell on ebay, and I've bought stuff from him, but I can't remember his ebay name for the life of me. He, like Joe, is someone I'd buy from any day via any selling venue.

I have not seen Terry's Comics...Now National Comics??? (I think they changed their name?) David Reynolds is fantastic to deal with and a tight grader who grades at or below what cgc grades.

J&S Comics has got to be ranked higher. Buying raw from them in CBG for YEARS and on ebay I've ALWAYS been happy with their fast shipping and tight grading. They sell tons of stuff.

I would put these guys way up there with Doug Supila and Metro.

ComicLink is great, but they are not dealers any more than ebay is. CL is a website! (yes, with a little of their own stuff) When someone buys one of my comics off CL, they are buying from me, not Josh. Josh is only the middleman, making sure the deal goes smoothly. If only there were someone at ebay doing that...

Joe

Scott,

Just to pull this thread a bit more back on track --

Here's what I liked about Joe Verenault. The guy's raw grading skills are extremely good. I bought a stack of high grade marvels from him in the late 90s and almost everyone I slabbed came back as 9.6s. He sold them to me as NMs or better and just commented to me that they were very sharp.

He's extremely pleasant and easy going. He's not trying to gouge, but he knows what the books are worth, and he wants FMV. Pre CGC he always had a beautiful selection of high grade. Even now, he appears to turn up stuff and has a wide selection of both Gold and Silver.

At the National in NY in November, I know Joe sold something like $40k worth of books to other dealers prior to the show even really getting started. He's still a major player, but I wish I saw him more often.

I've known Joe V. since the 1980s when he worked with Jay Maybruck for Sparkle City. Nice guy and very tight grader. I have always sought him out at shows but have never done mail order or internet with him. He has had my want list memorized since the 1980s. Amazing personal touch!

All I know, is that I bought two key books from him back in the early 90's, at a convention in NY. Both came back restored. Did he know they were restored, I have no idea, but that puts him way down my list as respectable.

You're absolutely right. I'm still colored largely by my experience as a DA and my perspective on lawyers and the role they play in the judicial process is really different.

In terms of the civil world, I was targeting my comments less at client relations (because I agree with your assessment) and more about how lawyers seem to interact with each other. And I see a lot of lawyers being two faced when dealing with each other.

Being honest as a lawyer is different from being honest as a seller of comic books. It is not a lawyer's job to tell the court what the lawyer thinks is the right and just result that should occur. It is the lawyer's job to represent his client and present his client's case in the most favorable light to his client, while remaining within the limits of the truth. What I mean by this, is that if a lawyer isn't spinning facts to make them sound the best they can for his client, he isn't doing his job properly. I realize that you have a different perspective from this, coming from the DA's office. And as a DA, I'd say that I agree with you. You represent the public when you're a DA, so there is no justification for spinning facts. I believe that changes when you become the advocate for a private client.

This is not really related to the "two-facedness" issue you were discussing. That's something else entirely. I don't like people who are fake either. But just as much as I don't like people who are fake, I don't tend to like people who hate everyone and let everyone know it.

I'm not sure what the other lawyers on the board think about this, but my experience has always been in dealing with courts, victims and clients is to be straightforward and honest and to simply give the truth directly and not dance around what's really going on. Yes, I agree that diplomacy and tact are important, especially in customer driven fields, but I see lawyers engaging everyday in their passive/aggressive dealings with one another, say one thing to the face of the person and two seconds later continuously b**ch about how they don't like the person. Or lying to clients. Or whatever. My point is, a lot of people are two faced (not like the Batman villian), and I get the sense that people are avoiding saying directly to someone what they actually think. But, I think your point is well taken Red.

I don't think Bob is claiming that his words are the "truth" but rather how he feels. He's telling it like it is from his perspective. That said, I'm sure there are times when Bob wishes perhaps he chose a more diplomatic route. I know that's true for me.

Nobody has a monopoly on the truth. I respect Bob, but I am wary when someone claims to "tell it like it is." Diplomacy and tact are not the same thing as kissing asss, in my book.

I think Joe would have taken a return on any restored books. I have to tell you... the guy seems exceptionally easy to deal with in all of my transactions with him....

All I know, is that I bought two key books from him back in the early 90's, at a convention in NY. Both came back restored. Did he know they were restored, I have no idea, but that puts him way down my list as respectable.

I feel your pain, believe me! I have submitted things to cgc and seen them come back, to my astonishment, restored. Pre-cgc, detecting resto was a tough call and without today's stigma. I was collecting big time back then and it was not the big deal it is now. To be fair to Joe, I'm saying what my experiences were, that's all.

Joe B (not V!)

Every major dealer misses resto on occasion. Sometimes the work is very minor, or just done so well that it's hard to spot. What's important is how they react when they're called on it.

I recently paid over a grand for a raw book from a major dealer. It came back a PLOD from CGC. I emailed the dealer with just the facts(no yelling or screaming), and he promptly gave me a full refund. A few days later, the book reappeared on the dealer's site with resto fully disclosed.

I won't hesitate to buy from him again.

Every major dealer misses resto on occasion. Sometimes the work is very minor, or just done so well that it's hard to spot. What's important is how they react when they're called on it.

I recently paid over a grand for a raw book from a major dealer. It came back a PLOD from CGC. I emailed the dealer with just the facts(no yelling or screaming), and he promptly gave me a full refund. A few days later, the book reappeared on the dealer's site with resto fully disclosed.

I won't hesitate to buy from him again.

Would you mind saying who it is?

Because he misses two books he is isn't respectable? I've gotten back a lot more restored books from some of the "respected" list and I still will buy from them.

I understand, but when you buy two key books at the same time, (one a TOS #39 and one an Avengers #4), and they both come back PLOD (which means I lost money let alone any increase in value over a ten year period), it leaves a really bad taste in your mouth.

As I have stated before, without CGC, I wouldn't be collecting comic books.

If you look at the collectors who did the best since CGC came out, it's the ones like Doug Schmell who bought TONS of PEDIGREE COMICS. At least it was fairly certain that they weren't restored.

A lot of collectors who bought nice books in the 90's, really didn't see much increase in the value of their collection because 1) a lot of NM purchases became VF books and 2) it only takes a few key restored books to kill the value of the rest of the collection.

It was Metro. What impressed me the most was that Vinny cracked the slab after I returned it to him because he wanted to learn what he'd missed. He'd bought the book at a live auction as unrestored just days before I purchased it from him.

My collection greatly increased in value (over 400 books, 3 came back restored - 2 of which were FF #61's). If many of your NM's came back VF's I would question your ability to grade raw books. All of my keys came back unrestored and they were not all pedigree's.