• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rankings for Dealers

385 posts in this topic

when you say "a lot more" is that like "way more"? There are thousands of books daily on Comiclink, so are 100 of them Joshs? or 50? or 1000???

There aren't thousands of new books on Josh's site everyday.

And a lot of NEWEST books are actually old books with a change in price / description.

when you say "a lot more" is that like "way more"? There are thousands of books daily on Comiclink, so are 100 of them Joshs? or 50? or 1000???

I have no idea, but I thought people should understand that CL is not a total consignment site because they do carry their own inventory.

There aren't thousands of new books on Josh's site everyday.

And a lot of NEWEST books are actually old books with a change in price / description.

true. but at any given time there can be 15000 comics listed for sale as there are right now.

I thought PCE disguised themselves by selling on ebay which I always found kind of odd.

They weren't disguising themselves by selling on ebay! They were charging the same prices on ebay that they were charging on their website! Plenty o' PCE ebay auctions that closed without meeting reserve.

I was just having a little bit of fun and thought this would be an interesting topic to pass the time... I'm surprised so many people were actually interested.

At any rate, I can't remember who pointed out that Joe Verenault and/or Jim Payette should have made the list. I certainly agree with both, and would probably remove Harley Yee and potentially Gary Dolgoff, or maybe one of the others... I don't know.

I probably would be most likely to remove Harley for Jim Payette, and my dealings with Joe Verenault have always been nothing but pleasant. Believe me, I can't say enough good things about the guy... but it's not just his lack of internet presence. He was really gearing down with doing shows as well. He was attending the Big Apple spottily for awhile, and wasn't setting up always at some of the larger shows (or at least I don't remember seeing him there)... so I'm not sure I'd put Joe on the list.

As for the scoring etc., I've taken a far more subjective approach than FFB because I think that assigning point values for each category is almost as arbitrary (although he has good reasons for the way he assigns points) as simply giving an overall impression as to why you believe certain dealers rank higher than others.

Furthermore, my rankings are more than colored by who I've actually dealt with, where I live in the country and my relative knowledge about the business in general... so I can't say I would even be the best qualified collector to make up such a list... just think it's fun.

As far as Dale Carnegie goes I am not out to "Win friends" and "influence" people. I am who I am - Love me or hate me I tell it like it is. I don't pretend to like someone and if I am your friend I would defend you as much as I would my family. If you are a liar I will call you one, If you rip people off I will tell others about it. I sleep well at night and I don't have nightmares about what I've said. I will never please everyone in this hobby, I am not Steve Borock who quite frankly was the only person who could have gotten CGC credibility with Dealers and collectors. He can be friendly to everyone where I cannot. And sometimes when somebody sees something in a person that they don't like it's generally because they themselves have the same fault.

The below post is why I have a high level of respect for Bob. Took me years to grow up a little and appreciate straightforwardness and honesty and get past the exterior. As a personality trait, I prefer bluntness and directness. I realize that sometimes this is not going to serve you well in certain situations in life, but in the long run, I think people ultimately simply want to be told the truth and respect that.

As far as Dale Carnegie goes I am not out to "Win friends" and "influence" people. I am who I am - Love me or hate me I tell it like it is. I don't pretend to like someone and if I am your friend I would defend you as much as I would my family. If you are a liar I will call you one, If you rip people off I will tell others about it. I sleep well at night and I don't have nightmares about what I've said. I will never please everyone in this hobby, I am not Steve Borock who quite frankly was the only person who could have gotten CGC credibility with Dealers and collectors. He can be friendly to everyone where I cannot. And sometimes when somebody sees something in a person that they don't like it's generally because they themselves have the same fault.

Nobody has a monopoly on the truth. I respect Bob, but I am wary when someone claims to "tell it like it is." Diplomacy and tact are not the same thing as kissing asss, in my book.

I'm not sure what the other lawyers on the board think about this, but my experience has always been in dealing with courts, victims and clients is to be straightforward and honest and to simply give the truth directly and not dance around what's really going on. Yes, I agree that diplomacy and tact are important, especially in customer driven fields, but I see lawyers engaging everyday in their passive/aggressive dealings with one another, say one thing to the face of the person and two seconds later continuously b**ch about how they don't like the person. Or lying to clients. Or whatever. My point is, a lot of people are two faced (not like the Batman villian), and I get the sense that people are avoiding saying directly to someone what they actually think. But, I think your point is well taken Red.

I don't think Bob is claiming that his words are the "truth" but rather how he feels. He's telling it like it is from his perspective. That said, I'm sure there are times when Bob wishes perhaps he chose a more diplomatic route. I know that's true for me.

Nobody has a monopoly on the truth. I respect Bob, but I am wary when someone claims to "tell it like it is." Diplomacy and tact are not the same thing as kissing asss, in my book.

I'm kinda of guess here what Brad means, but sometimes the problem with "telling it like it is" is letting one transaction or one missing communication, turn into something much larger (as in never doing a deal again).

I for one will buy books from Any Dealer regardless if my prior transactions weren't up to expectations. I don't hold a grudge. Obviously, if I have bought what I considered overgraded books from a dealer, I'm not going to buy unslabbed books from them, but if they have a CGC book that I want, at the price I'm willing to pay, then I'll take it. I don't care if it's a dealer that I have LOW RESPECT for (maybe because I think they are overgraders or just talk [#@$%!!!] out of their [#@$%!!!]).

To me, each transaction is like a seperate relationship.

Exactly. You can be brutally honest but still be polite about it. And my comments on Bob's personality don't have anything to do with his honesty. They have to do with the way he takes cheap shots at a certain competitor. There's nothing honest about the way he does it. It's just petty and rude and shouldn't be dignified by cloaking it in the claim of "I'm just being honest."

Having said that, the purpose of this thread is not to pick on Bob Storms, who I consider to be a very good and trustworthy dealer. I'd rather see you guys discuss the relative merits of people on the list and people not on the list. For Payette and Vernault, how about an explanation from someone who has used them about why they should score well?