• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 18-21, 2016

334 posts in this topic

It's been a great show so far. Thanks to all the good people from CGC boards who helped make it great.

Thank you and Pete for the badge and haul of great books. Another fantastic Chicago show in the books for me. Puts all others to shame really for the width and breadth of material available in the room.

I forgot to mention

They were from a booth promoting a gentlemens club

Totally look like it

They're promoting the Admiral Theater on Lawrence in Albany Park. If you're into that sort of thing, the Admiral is not terrible. No alcohol.

I forgot to mention

They were from a booth promoting a gentlemens club

Totally look like it

They're promoting the Admiral Theater on Lawrence in Albany Park. If you're into that sort of thing, the Admiral is not terrible. No alcohol.

They have a full page ad in the program too. Fun for the whole family, I'm sure.

On my way home. Very good show from every imaginable angle.

Good friends and people.

Great food.

Great books (bought to many as usual)

Looking forward to next year already.

On my way home. Very good show from every imaginable angle.

Good friends and people.

Great food.

Great books (bought to many as usual)

Looking forward to next year already.

Great seeing you, have a safe trip home!

too all the out of town visitors - safe travels

to those on the convention circuit - see you in 2 weeks in Baltimore

to all the locals - see you possibly next week

:hi:

regardless I am going to try Old World this week and get back to Sean with my thoughts

the thin crust looks very good

I can tell you guys where the best ramen (Slurping Turtle) , Italian (Mia Franchesca), burger (au cheval, honorable mention to kuma and seven lions) or anything else you want to know about your town.

Except where my office is located.

regardless I am going to try Old World this week and get back to Sean with my thoughts

the thin crust looks very good

I can tell you guys where the best ramen (Slurping Turtle) , Italian (Mia Franchesca), burger (au cheval, honorable mention to kuma and seven lions) or anything else you want to know about your town.

Except where my office is located.

lol

I asked a few of the dealers this question yesterday. Some did exceptionally well, some had a good show, and some had a bit of a disappointing experience (all from a sales standpoint). I think Sunday may have helped the bottom line of a few

I asked a few of the dealers this question yesterday. Some did exceptionally well, some had a good show, and some had a bit of a disappointing experience (all from a sales standpoint). I think Sunday may have helped the bottom line of a few

Thanks for the info. It's always funny to hear the description of sales from dealers since everyone seems to use the same lingo. If the dealer says they did "great" it means they hit their number and they are happy. If they use terms like "best of the year" or "fantastic" or "crazy good" then of course they did very well and drinks are on them. If they say "I did pretty good", "not bad" or "as I expected" it usually means they did less then they hoped for and there are no happy faces while packing up the books. Words like "the worst" or "terrible" seem to be seldomly used but if they are used it was a waste of time and the drinks are used to deal with the depression.

Thanks for the info. It's always funny to hear the description of sales from dealers since everyone seems to use the same lingo. If the dealer says they did "great" it means they hit their number and they are happy. If they use terms like "best of the year" or "fantastic" or "crazy good" then of course they did very well and drinks are on them. If they say "I did pretty good", "not bad" or "as I expected" it usually means they did less then they hoped for and there are no happy faces while packing up the books. Words like "the worst" or "terrible" seem to be seldomly used but if they are used it was a waste of time and the drinks are used to deal with the depression.

Like you said, so much of it is based on sales expectations from previous years. One dealer explained it to me thusly: His sales for Chicago were disappointing half way through Sunday, but that didn't mean he wasn't selling books. It could be that for another dealer, his sales would equate to a very good or excellent show. It's just that FOR HIM, and his expectations, sales were disappointing

Like you said, so much of it is based on sales expectations from previous years. One dealer explained it to me thusly: His sales for Chicago were disappointing half way through Sunday, but that didn't mean he wasn't selling books. It could be that for another dealer, his sales would equate to a very good or excellent show. It's just that FOR HIM, and his expectations, sales were disappointing

Very true. It cost me $1,250 total for me to set up at the Wizard Cleveland Con this year. I did about $6,000 in sales which was fantastic for me but a big dealer set up down from me said he would have been shocked to sell less then $10,000. His disappointing number was my great sales number - it's all relative. As long as some people are saying sales were great then it probably was pretty good overall.