• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 18-21, 2016

334 posts in this topic

I haven't been to Chicago since Wizard took over. I do remember that table prices were pretty reasonable. This offered the chance for a lot of "little guys" to clean out their collections. As a buyer, it was probably the best show to attend. I assume that the "little guys" are probably gone now much like San Diego.

The compitetion is pretty fierce at these big shows for dealers. If you're not offering stuff nobody else has or have great prices, it's going to be a grind to make a profit.

You also have to consider when someone sells a $70K book, that ain't all profit. Probably a pretty slim margin on the net. I can't imagine there are tons of buyers running around buying books like that anyway. You've got to be the one who has what that guy wants.

BTW It was a pleasure to talk to you about EliteCon on Saturday...I think you have a great, unique idea on your hands. :foryou:

Jim

Very much appreciated Jim. I'm very optimistic we can pull it off. Having a con geared toward high end collectors seems as natural to me as a Lexus dealership having a top-notch service department, or a football stadium having luxury boxes for sale, or a bunch of well-to-do comic nerds having a nice dinner at Gibson's Steakhouse over, let's say, the Sizzler. lol

I usually concentrate on wall books, seeking slabs for my collection, willing to pay collector prices for books I need. This was a strange con for me this year, not for lack of trying, I did not buy one slabbed book. Maybe I selected the wrong books to inquire on but the pricing seemed very aggressive to me with minimal discounting. I didn't even go the last day, resolving to simply save my money for auctions.

I've done this a few times (no slabs), but was lucky enough to find 3 this time around. You just never know.

You also have to consider when someone sells a $70K book, that ain't all profit. Probably a pretty slim margin on the net.

You make more profit per book (percentage-wise) on $1 and $2 books than you do on four-figure (and above) books. You just have to sell a whole lot more of the cheaper books.

The other thing is that those cheap books sell very easily, while the more expensive ones can take a long time to get rid of.

It's a -shoot for sure.

This show will always suck until they get carpet. :preach:
Did your delicate feet hurt everyday?

Yep, and I opted out of the greggy spa treatment

This was the first con where my feet didn't hurt at all.

Did you get carried around in a chair like Xerxes?

No, like Allfather D’Aronique without the purging.

No, like Allfather D’Aronique without the purging.

I had to Google that

I believe someone mentioned another show happening in the Chicago area soon. I wanted to post scans of the books that I lost in the deal for Comic4Less' stolen books. They just may turn up at this show. These books are now considered stolen property. If you come across alert authorities first, but you can contact me (Call/Text) as well at 803-470-4055.

A Black Cat Comics #50 in nice presenting VG+, with a small corner crease in top right front cover was part of the deal as well, but I never got it scanned in. Along with the Black Cat, the following comics were stolen:

7-STOLENAF15A_zps1k1zzk69.jpg

5-STOLENAF15C_zps85wsu3wn.jpg

4-STOLENAF15D_zpsyik61qcq.jpg

1-STOLENGSX1_zpsqzijphck.jpg'

2-STOLENHEROFORHIRE1_zpsehrj4snq.jpg