• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 18-21, 2016

334 posts in this topic

While I sold a fair number of books, I'm very restricted in my offerings. I only have 4 boxes of comics shipped Fedex to the show. I borrow a couple of Pvc displays from Jamie graham (thanks as always). I rent a 6ft showcase.

2 boxes raw, 2 boxes cgc and the case books I carry on plane. If I sell a 70k book does that make it a good show? It's relative. The expense is 5k+ For me to set up. Could I sell that same 70k book without setting up ? Very likely. So all I did was "give away" 5 K of profit. I don't consider that a "good show" even if I have 70k sales in a single book.

Not sure if I can do Chicago anymore... Might have to stick to shows I can drive too hm

While I sold a fair number of books, I'm very restricted in my offerings. I only have 4 boxes of comics shipped Fedex to the show. I borrow a couple of Pvc displays from Jamie graham (thanks as always). I rent a 6ft showcase.

2 boxes raw, 2 boxes cgc and the case books I carry on plane. If I sell a 70k book does that make it a good show? It's relative. The expense is 5k+ For me to set up. Could I sell that same 70k book without setting up ? Very likely. So all I did was "give away" 5 K of profit. I don't consider that a "good show" even if I have 70k sales in a single book.

Not sure if I can do Chicago anymore... Might have to stick to shows I can drive too hm

I hear there is a show in Tampa next year that will have lots of quality high end buyers and minimal table investment for dealers. What's that, a five hour drive for you and possibly one night at the Embassy Suites?

:gossip:

I

I

I

I

I

I

V

I know we talked about this at the con, but you not setting up at Chicago is still disappointing to hear

I know we talked about this at the con, but you not setting up at Chicago is still disappointing to hear

A I always appreciate you and your help ! George/1koko as well.

I would have to somehow modify the set up to make the show work from a retail standpoint but I absolutely will still attend regardless

I always hear Chicago Wizard is a buyers paradise but if people are paying $2-5K to set up (depending on how far away you are) then how can it possibly be a good place to buy books? I'd think that kind of price tag would scare away all but the big sellers from the sales floor and although they bring the goods I can't imagine they are leaving a ton of meat left on the bones in terms of buying. Is it the massive amount of books the big guys bring to the this event and the onsite grading allowing guys to buy/grade and get back the next day giving this con the reputation it does?

I'm hoping to make it to all 4 days next year but until then it would be nice to pick your brains.

I always hear Chicago Wizard is a buyers paradise but if people are paying $2-5K to set up (depending on how far away you are) then how can it possibly be a good place to buy books? I'd think that kind of price tag would scare away all but the big sellers from the sales floor and although they bring the goods I can't imagine they are leaving a ton of meat left on the bones in terms of buying. Is it the massive amount of books the big guys bring to the this event and the onsite grading allowing guys to buy/grade and get back the next day giving this con the reputation it does?

I'm hoping to make it to all 4 days next year but until then it would be nice to pick your brains.

It depends on what you are going to buy. For me, this is about the only show of the year that I go to expecting to pay retail(ish) to add nice books to my collection. I don't go to Chicago to bottomfeed or expect to get quality books with meat left. I'm going to spend 20-25% of my budget for the year to buy 1-5 larger books that are keepers. At least that is how I approach it.

That being said, this year I bought a ton of cheaper books for resale. I didn't come into this show expecting to do that, but then I didn't anticipate seeing the number of rich $1 boxes, 50 cent boxes, and even 3/$1 boxes. I was able to pull 1.5 short boxes of useful material out of those, and if I had looked longer I likely could have finished up that second short box. I'm not sure how one can afford to fill those expensive booths with cheapies, but I'll buy them if they bring them.

It depends on what you are going to buy. For me, this is about the only show of the year that I go to expecting to pay retail(ish) to add nice books to my collection. I don't go to Chicago to bottomfeed or expect to get quality books with meat left. I'm going to spend 20-25% of my budget for the year to buy 1-5 larger books that are keepers. At least that is how I approach it.

That being said, this year I bought a ton of cheaper books for resale. I didn't come into this show expecting to do that, but then I didn't anticipate seeing the number of rich $1 boxes, 50 cent boxes, and even 3/$1 boxes. I was able to pull 1.5 short boxes of useful material out of those, and if I had looked longer I likely could have finished up that second short box. I'm not sure how one can afford to fill those expensive booths with cheapies, but I'll buy them if they bring them.

I'm having that internal debate right now in terms of what to bring to Baltimore. I've only got a 8' table to fill (splitting a corner booth) so bringing my usual 5-6 long boxes of 15 for $10 books may take up too much space with minimal money coming in unless I sell out. I'm only spending $800 to be there (booth fee and hotel and food) so I've got some wiggle room but I just can't see how people are blowing out books at the mega expensive cons.

There are a lot of books at the show from super high end to dollar box. There are books for every kind of collector from golden age to modern. There are plenty of books for the flippers too if you're willing to look and work at it. There are just a lot of dealers and a lot of books period.

If you are local then you only have cost of the booth. 11-1200?

But booth , hotel, air fair , Fedex shipping /ins to and from and food I'm over 5k

There are a lot of books at the show from super high end to dollar box. There are books for every kind of collector from golden age to modern. There are plenty of books for the flippers too if you're willing to look and work at it. There are just a lot of dealers and a lot of books period.

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of independent comics available at the show. Prices for the most part were reasonable too.

Exactly. If you aren't afraid to work, you'll do well at this show. I generally hit the floor when it opens and stay until it closes for the first two days. My feet may hurt like hell, but it always pays off. I also make sure to see as many boxes as I can, because, well, let's just say the buying competition mostly focuses on the wall books, and often leaves the bin stuff behind.

Exactly. If you aren't afraid to work, you'll do well at this show. I generally hit the floor when it opens and stay until it closes for the first two days. My feet may hurt like hell, but it always pays off. I also make sure to see as many boxes as I can, because, well, let's just say the buying competition mostly focuses on the wall books, and often leaves the bin stuff behind.

And I focussed on wall books this year and had my best buying show of 2016 by a landslide. Slabbed DD #1's, ASM #14's, Avengers #4's, IM #1's for under GPA and sometimes significantly under GPA....sign me up.

Also picked up a sweet GSX #1 from Rick who is one of the easiest/best to work with.

Jim

Been working on a new paralyzing, crippling, maiming nerve hold to throw on Greggy, if I can somehow manage to distract him. Leaving for the con in a few for my one day visit. :acclaim:

I had to leave early cause I needed to help Roy with the camera for his show

Wanted to say hello

:cry:

Hector, I can't thank you enough.

My week was so hectic I actually had panic attacks thinking about finding a way to record the show. You saved the day.

And I focussed on wall books this year and had my best buying show of 2016 by a landslide. Slabbed DD #1's, ASM #14's, Avengers #4's, IM #1's for under GPA and sometimes significantly under GPA....sign me up.

Also picked up a sweet GSX #1 from Rick who is one of the easiest/best to work with.

Jim

I always do well buying at shows. It is the selling part I have the problem with. I still have raw books in boxes I bought in 2007 doh!

I forgot to mention

They were from a booth promoting a gentlemens club

Totally look like it

They're promoting the Admiral Theater on Lawrence in Albany Park. If you're into that sort of thing, the Admiral is not terrible. No alcohol.

They have a full page ad in the program too. Fun for the whole family, I'm sure.

That sort of mess doesn't belong at a con.

A I always appreciate you and your help ! George/1koko as well.

I would have to somehow modify the set up to make the show work from a retail standpoint but I absolutely will still attend regardless

Have Bedrock swing by Florida to pick up your inventory. Easy peasy.

If you are local then you only have cost of the booth. 11-1200?

But booth , hotel, air fair , Fedex shipping /ins to and from and food I'm over 5k

Yup. Between $5000-10,000 a show for NY and San Diego when I was doing them.

Local show? Next to nothing.

Jim

Excellent. I wasn't suggesting there weren't quality wall books available at decent prices....there surely were, I'm just sometimes suprised by how much meat is left on the carcass even after all the vultures have departed, and how often bin books are largely left untouched in the "first pass" by a lot of us. It just goes to show much quality material is in WW-Chicago when you can still find great books at killer deals a day or two (or three) into the show.

Jim

I usually concentrate on wall books, seeking slabs for my collection, willing to pay collector prices for books I need. This was a strange con for me this year, not for lack of trying, I did not buy one slabbed book. Maybe I selected the wrong books to inquire on but the pricing seemed very aggressive to me with minimal discounting. I didn't even go the last day, resolving to simply save my money for auctions.

Jive I know you totally weren't. I was just suggesting that both approaches could still work and apparently did. There is a lot of material in the room at a WWChicago and one of my purchases was Sunday afternoon before I left.

It's still a great show.

BTW It was a pleasure to talk to you about EliteCon on Saturday...I think you have a great, unique idea on your hands. :foryou:

Jim