• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art of Music (Post your music related art!)

64 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

At one time I owned 60+ original concert art/album pieces. I would get some direct from the artists and they would be surprised I had any interest in the originals as people up until recently only wanted the posters. The only one I kept was this...

deadtelluridejohansendead.jpg

There is a lot of rich history with this stuff.

thanks,

Matthew

I use to own a great Derek Riggs Iron Maiden piece. A lot of Derek Riggs IM paintings were destroyed. Very few have survived. They are also record size in dimensions. As for the Use Your Illusions. Axl owns 1 and Slash the other.

Thanks for the input! This is a subject I've had a passing interest in but never really pursued but I am aware that the history of album/poster originals is (mostly) a sad tale...so much lost/destroyed/discarded. Then again if everything was saved and readily available, would anybody even care? And where would we (the world) store it all??? This is my personal 'problem' -- storage! I'm actually happy most of the art that I still want is not available (or too expensive). Museums and public collections are wonderful - you can enjoy it without having to own and care for it :)

Well, just got a great new "musical" piece, so I thought I would revive this thread. I bought directly from Tim Truman who I have corresponded with off and on for many years-in fact we even traded live music back in the days before everything was digital and was all on the web for the taking. I love this piece and find it hard to believe the Grateful Dead didn't want to use it for the Fare Thee Well shows. I have seen the art they did use and it was also cool, but silly of them not to showcase Tim's contribution which was amazing and right in line with what many of my friends referred to as a "gathering of the tribes" when they did their 50th anniversary shows in Chicago.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryPiece.asp?Piece=1265697&GSub=0&GCat=253&UCat=253

Love that last Truman piece! I have a prelim from a Hot Tuna album he did the cover for as well. I would probably buy more music related art if I had better connections to see originals. On that note, if anyone knows of any good Black Crowes art out there, my wife is a big fan and would love to snag her something!

Hello Guys,

At one time I owned 60+ original concert art/album pieces. I would get some direct from the artists and they would be surprised I had any interest in the originals as people up until recently only wanted the posters. The only one I kept was this...

thanks,

Matthew

Surprised you sold all your rock art but love the one you kept!

Hello Guys,

thanks,

Matthew

Surprised you sold all your rock art but love the one you kept!

Some of the Rock Art went to a good home............ me! Matt has good taste.

I got to hold and look at the original art for Cheap Thrills by Big Brother & the Holding Company before it got sold. My first and only time seeing an R. Crumb original.

My holy grail would be any Derek Riggs painting of an Iron Maiden album cover. If I had a choice I would probably do 'Seventh Son of A Seventh Son' or 'Somewhere in Time'

wrap around covers sometimes look off in the flesh. Somewhere in Time looks fine

https://playitloudforever.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/somewhere-in-time.jpg

but a 7th son original would suffer from that wraparound look, IMO (where you can tell the whole left side was intended for the back cover, the right side for the front cover, and the piece in its entirety looks a little... basturdized.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NfsZV0FUfNg/maxresdefault.jpg

If I was going to pick a Maiden original I'd take Live After Death

http://www.wallcoo.net/cartoon/Iron_Maiden_HD_Wallpapers_Derek_Riggs_Artwork/wallpapers/1280x800/liveafterdeath_Iron_Maiden_Album_Artwork_by_Derek_Riggs.jpg

I hope you guys don't mind the big picture, but I noticed some fun things on the Somewhere in Time album that I would have never seen prior to collecting art.

1) Red circles - pyramid motifs

2) Yellow circle - eye

Are these two a reference to the pyramid and eye on the dollar bill? Or, (I'm thinking more likely given what I found out below) references to the Egyptian subject matter on the album that preceded this, Powerslave?

3) There are at least three reference to previous Maiden songs (pink circles). I haven't listened to Maiden in 20 years but I think all of these songs were on Powerslave:

a) the "ancient mariner" seafood restaurant

b) the time on the clock ("two minutes to midnight")

c) the name of the bar ("aces high")

4) There's a naked dude in the window of the "Rainbow Bar" - what's that about? lol (blue circle)

5) Some sort of a fallen angel? (green circle). What's that about?

somewhere-in-time_zps9sndk3ay.jpg