• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars: Shattered Empire #1

68 posts in this topic

You'd think that for $3.99, the paper quality would be better, but higher quality paper = higher manufacturing cost = less profit.

IDW and the other $3.99 indie companies manage to print on thick paper with a tiny fraction of the Marvel runs. I thought Marvel gets printing discounts the higher the order volume they put in. Even Dark Horse printed on thick paper towards the end with "The Star Wars" #0-8. That glossy paper was the same they used for the Dark Empire 20+ years ago and they kept those at $3.50. More durable and nothing like the cover damage the new StarWars comics have.

Toilet paper is a perfect description for the paper quality. I know one guy who went after all 100+ launch variants out of excitement and being a StarWars comic completist and he's been having buyers remorse ever since. Complaining how they each would arrive to him damaged. Making him want to buy again until he gets a good one. Maddening.

Toilet paper is a perfect description for the paper quality. I know one guy who went after all 100+ launch variants out of excitement and being a StarWars comic completist and he's been having buyers remorse ever since. Complaining how they each would arrive to him damaged. Making him want to buy again until he gets a good one. Maddening.

I even find these same problems occurring for the recent non variant issues too.

Thanks RjRj :3

But apparently the rare Shattered Empire #1 variant with Leia and Luke back-to-back may be released and not taken down as what was originally suspected.

Do you know where it will be released? I know my purchases for it have been cancelled on eBay and if it is being released, I'd love to get a copy.

The Baltimore Diamond Retailer Summit :3

The only reason I feel it'll be released is that the party I ordered my copies from said that they haven't received them yet, as opposed to them being cancelled.

Isn't it strange not 1 copy is for sale on eBay?

It's strange; but copies were up on eBay months ago; but it's either because of three reasons:

1. It's been recalled.

2. Difficult to get one's hands on it (as it's the rarest of all the variants).

3. Isn't release till the week of the 28th.

Can a book be considered recalled if it was never published or distributed?

I agree copies were on eBay, but from the 2 sellers I bought my copies from, the word is that cover was replaced by the new cover that is listed on eBay. Both asked me if I want to cancel my order or get the new cover. I suppose there could be a version that is available for retailers to buy and sell and another limited version that will be given out to retailers. I don't recall there ever being 2 retailer summit copies in the past but I guess we will know in a few short weeks.

I sent a message to one of the retailers I bought from asking if they know the situation. Here is the original message I received:

"Here is the actual Diamond Retailer Variant Cover to Star Wars Shattered Empire #1. It varied from the Previews image shown and wanted to make sure you still wanted. Let me know if not otherwise I'll have shipped soon. Thanks"

My message to them to find out more:

"There is a lot of speculation going on with that other cover. Do you know if Marvel is going to be distributing that cover at all or was it just a case of Marvel not getting approval to use the cover?"

I'll post the reply here. Even that reply will be speculative until the actual event takes place.

Enjoyed this a lot more than I'd expected. I was hoping to see Tycho Celchu get a mention. One of my favourite characters from the old continuity, and I'm still hoping he'll make the jump to the new.

It's strange; but copies were up on eBay months ago; but it's either because of three reasons:

1. It's been recalled.

2. Difficult to get one's hands on it (as it's the rarest of all the variants).

3. Isn't release till the week of the 28th.

Can a book be considered recalled if it was never published or distributed?

I agree copies were on eBay, but from the 2 sellers I bought my copies from, the word is that cover was replaced by the new cover that is listed on eBay. Both asked me if I want to cancel my order or get the new cover. I suppose there could be a version that is available for retailers to buy and sell and another limited version that will be given out to retailers. I don't recall there ever being 2 retailer summit copies in the past but I guess we will know in a few short weeks.

I sent a message to one of the retailers I bought from asking if they know the situation. Here is the original message I received:

"Here is the actual Diamond Retailer Variant Cover to Star Wars Shattered Empire #1. It varied from the Previews image shown and wanted to make sure you still wanted. Let me know if not otherwise I'll have shipped soon. Thanks"

My message to them to find out more:

"There is a lot of speculation going on with that other cover. Do you know if Marvel is going to be distributing that cover at all or was it just a case of Marvel not getting approval to use the cover?"

I'll post the reply here. Even that reply will be speculative until the actual event takes place.

I stopped by the diamond distributor booth on Sunday and they said they had some of the color copies but handed them all out early Friday. I see a few on eBay.