• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the greatest single issue you've ever read?

107 posts in this topic

Double-size issues and annuals definitely have an advantage. I know I posted in a best single comic of the 80s thread that my favorite was Swamp Thing Annual 2. Simply incredible.

After Swamp Thing 21, Annual 2 was my next choice, but I left that for someone else. I'm not greedy.

I haven't read the book in ages, but the scene which sticks in my mind is when the thoroughly evil Anton Arcane asks for how many years he'd been in hell, and he gets the bad news that it'd only been one day since he died.

Not exactly a cuddly, heartwarming story, but definitely an all-time classic horror comic.

I have to confess...I've never read Spidey #33. Now that it's gotten so many 'thunbs up' from people, I feel I have to read it. Unfortunately, I don't want to spend big bucks to do so. Any ideas where I might find a reprint?

Mike

I have to confess...I've never read Spidey #33. Now that it's gotten so many 'thunbs up' from people, I feel I have to read it. Unfortunately, I don't want to spend big bucks to do so. Any ideas where I might find a reprint?

Mike

I have it in the Essentials collection, but it's also been reprinted in Masterworks, and I believe in Marvel Tales.

It's the third part of a three-part storyline that runs through #31-33. The whole thing is great, and #33 is much more powerful if you've read the buildup to it. This storyline also happens to include the first appearances of Gwen Stacy and Harry Osborn as well (in #31).

Double-size issues and annuals definitely have an advantage. I know I posted in a best single comic of the 80s thread that my favorite was Swamp Thing Annual 2. Simply incredible.

After Swamp Thing 21, Annual 2 was my next choice, but I left that for someone else. I'm not greedy.

I haven't read the book in ages, but the scene which sticks in my mind is when the thoroughly evil Anton Arcane asks for how many years he's been in hell, and he gets the bad news that it had only been one day since he died.

Not exactly a cuddly, heartwarming story, but definitely an all-time classic horror comic.

AMAZING

For the 1970s, I'd say Our Army at War 244 with Easy's First Tiger. I think it's the best piece of art in any war comic--way to go Russ Heath!

60s, not sure. I have read Incredible Hulk 118 a lot of times. (Detective 404 is 70s.) 50s, I like Batman 86 which has a great Indian story, a Joker story, and the tremendous Bat-Submarine story that I really like. Inventive. Though it's hard to pick against Incredible Science Fiction 33 with Judgment Day.

Oh, what am I talking about, the best comic ever is clearly from the 40s, Batman #1. 1st Joker (incredible villain from the first), 1st Catwoman, and the Hugo Strange story is even better.

And it being 64 pages certainly helps.

Batman 1 is definitely in my top 10.