• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the greatest single issue you've ever read?

107 posts in this topic

I strongly feel you guys who have not read Amazing Spider-Man 33 , to read it. Believe me you will understand why I feel it's the best story ever.

Now that you make me think of it, Fantastic Four Annual #6 is also a great read. (thumbs u

And also Fantastic Four #30 (Diablo). :)

....Plus any of the EC Shock Suspenstories with a Wally Wood "preachie" could easily be the best comic I've ever read. There are too many to choose from...

I'm a huge EC fan. Great stories complemented by A-list level artwork, and impossible for me to place one item above many other contenders. :)

I strongly feel you guys who have not read Amazing Spider-Man 33 , to read it. Believe me you will understand why I feel it's the best story ever.

The comicbook benchmark for heroism with a truly selfless motivation.

It's a three way tie between The Killing Joke, Batman 251, and ASM 121. Plus any of the EC Shock Suspenstories with a Wally Wood "preachie" could easily be the best comic I've ever read. There are too many to choose from.
The Wally Wood Preachies are definitely my favorite work from the Golden Age. Came The Dawn is one of my favorite books on my shelf.

It's a three way tie between The Killing Joke, Batman 251, and ASM 121. Plus any of the EC Shock Suspenstories with a Wally Wood "preachie" could easily be the best comic I've ever read. There are too many to choose from.
The Wally Wood Preachies are definitely my favorite work from the Golden Age. Came The Dawn is one of my favorite books on my shelf.

Yup. Al Feldstein was the Rod Serling of comicbooks. That's meant to be complimentary, as I'm also a Twilight Zone fan.

For me it is definitely not among the top ranking books but it was a complete game changer for me as a child. The first time I saw Groo #1 on the shelf I felt like my eyes were opening up to another world within the comic book realm. I was very young and enjoying Disney titles and wasn't drawn to the super hero books that accumulated most of the shelves at that age. But Groo #1 is without a doubt the greatest single issue to me personally for what it exposed me to in a comic book and let me know that not only super hero and Disney books existed.

Children's minds are magical-they can make things so much larger than life and full of import.

A lot of great picks mentioned already - ASM #33, X-Men #137, and Astro City #1/2 are all great.

For me, as a kid, it was Avengers Annual #16 that really blew me away. Tony Stark failing to defuse the bomb because he was distracted by Dracula killing Mockingbird was a shocker. And Captain Marvel being killed even after she succeeded seemed unfair. Then the classic ending with Hawkeye saving the universe by cheating. So good.

For me it is definitely not among the top ranking books but it was a complete game changer for me as a child. The first time I saw Groo #1 on the shelf I felt like my eyes were opening up to another world within the comic book realm. I was very young and enjoying Disney titles and wasn't drawn to the super hero books that accumulated most of the shelves at that age. But Groo #1 is without a doubt the greatest single issue to me personally for what it exposed me to in a comic book and let me know that not only super hero and Disney books existed.
I didn't learn of the series until around #60, but it was an instant hit with me as well. And to this day I love that series. I'd love a nice hardcover collection of Groo.

Double-size issues and annuals definitely have an advantage. I know I posted in a best single comic of the 80s thread that my favorite was Swamp Thing Annual 2. Simply incredible.

For the 1970s, I'd say Our Army at War 244 with Easy's First Tiger. I think it's the best piece of art in any war comic--way to go Russ Heath!

60s, not sure. I have read Incredible Hulk 118 a lot of times. (Detective 404 is 70s.) 50s, I like Batman 86 which has a great Indian story, a Joker story, and the tremendous Bat-Submarine story that I really like. Inventive. Though it's hard to pick against Incredible Science Fiction 33 with Judgment Day.

Oh, what am I talking about, the best comic ever is clearly from the 40s, Batman #1. 1st Joker (incredible villain from the first), 1st Catwoman, and the Hugo Strange story is even better.

And it being 64 pages certainly helps.