• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #1 Scam

47 posts in this topic

Yes, but no. Columbia Comics received the run around from the same scammers just a few days ago. I've been working on getting this picture and a few others for days. They tried selling Brock the Avengers 1 and they'll probably be trying to sell a 6.5 copy of X-Men 1 soon.

Boardie name is Relicscity.

By the way, nominating someone like this for the PL is just silly. This guy will have 10 new board IDs by the time everyone gets done discussing it. And what use is a list that has a bazillion names on it that no longer exist?

Not singling anyone out...but at some point the buyers here need to accept some responsibility for using common sense.

This whole thing started right after Columbia Comics took the Avengers #1 for $1900. Once I saw that price I knew something wasn't quite right, so I sent Relicscity a message to see what else they were planning on selling. They soon replied saying that they had an FF #1 CGC 3.5, Hulk #1 CGC 2.0 and an X-Men 1 CGC 6.5. First, I asked for a price for the FF #1 to which they replied $2900. I wasn't too sure about the sellers intentions at this point in our conversation, so I thought I would help by sending a GPA screenshot of a 3.5 FF 1 and explaining that the picture included recent sales. They completely ignored the screenshot and asked if I would be interested in the Hulk. I asked for a price and scans and they replied $2800 and this scan:

32_zpsdn3vi3xr.jpg

The copy looked great and I figured out that it sold in 2008 for $1325. Obviously I was thinking this was way to good to be true, but I though I would play it out.

I asked for a phone number to discuss the sale and figured they would stop replying, but I did receive a number. I spoke to Tina for about five minutes regarding her books and how she acquired them. Apparently her father passed away and left five to ten slabs for her to sell. She sounded really confused the entire conversation and hung up on me when I asked for the cert number for FF #1. Soon after I received a text with the cert number and an excuse for the "call failure." I also thought it was fishy that her area code was from Tennessee, yet she claimed that she was from Florida.

The next day I replied and ask for a second picture of the Hulk 1. I finally received a couple of pictures today:

image_zpsxeuqczhb.jpg

The second picture I received today is in my first post. The photoshop job is a little better in this one compared to the picture in my first post. Needless to say, this is a complete scam.

Here are some of the other books that may be showing up on the forums soon:

Cert #: 0210047001

11_zpsuy1ebi5r.jpg

According to her, the X-Men #1 has been sold on Etsy...

78_zpswm7zz2nc.jpg

image_zpsoj9zvlzh.jpg

Cert #: 0237485001

image_zpsezqkod6s.jpg

I'm posting this entire explanation hoping that no one will fall for this scam. Her eBay name is Relics-City. I'm not sure where else I should be posting this, so feel free to comment.

-Al

Thank you AL for sharing all of this information. Even though these are books I am not in the market for I do appreciate the sharing and heads up to all. (thumbs u

No problem. Where else should I be posting this? I want as many people to read this as possible.

Thank you AL for sharing all of this information. Even though these are books I am not in the market for I do appreciate the sharing and heads up to all. (thumbs u

No problem. Where else should I be posting this? I want as many people to read this as possible.

You could post it in the general discussion thread in the sales forum. There was already discussion about the first failed sale.