• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USA COMICS #7 -- Which One Do You Choose?

78 posts in this topic

I had a mf56 that had cgc brittle page designation (ciorac will recall). We cracked and taped the splits back and resubbed....ow (which was more indicative of the pq).

That said I have a USA that the pages are supple enough (cr/ow in color) but it does have dry and 1" split wraps so cgc designated brittle, even though it's not "flakey" page brittle. Book is quite nice actually, and one I would buy again given what I know about it

just like the Tec 8 you swapped me several years ago (for a USA 7 coincidently)---that Tec was plod 2.0 slightly brittle due to weakness in two tear sealed pages. Had the tear seals undone and it came back blue 1.5 cr/ow.

There really isn't a need to crack when the masterworks is available.

mm_gausa02_172_1b.jpg

True enough for reading, but I wish the folks behind the Masterworks would be more faithful to the original art. The colors are often garish and details in the original inking are lost or suffer from blurry reproduction. DC used to do much better with their Archives until the budgets were cut. My 2c

The Masterworks (at least the original ones, never saw more recent ones) are more or less useless if one wants to have the story as it was.

All the recoloring may be nice (in some cases) and it can also follow the original color schemes (it didn't when they started), but it just isn’t the real thing. :shrug:

As for me, I agree with David on the choice as well. But also with GAtor. I have an early Daredevil Comics with brittle pages, but brittleness is confined to an edge, so I can read it, while I have another book which looks super-nice but it is more brittle and I never handle it and just stare at the cover. hm

Generally speaking, I would never buy effectively brittle books again.

My vote would depend on whether the 1.8 is as cleaner and brighter as it appears or whether that's just an artifact of the scanning.

If it the 1.8 is that much nicer presenting -- even taking into account that teeny, weeny chip :D -- then I would definitely take it.

The 1.8 is provided by heritage tech vs. the 1.5 amateur photo.

I think I'll stick with the 1.8 and avoid the brittle pages on the 1.5.

Not a fan of big pieces out of the book but i would go with the 1.8. With that one you get some kids book which he put his name on his collection.Have seen quite a few of his books and i think it's pretty neat to know the original owner (thumbs u

With the condition that the book would not be cracked, here is the updated voting:

1.5 --- 8

Phi the Governor

tabcom

october

DavidMerryweather

gino2paulus2

G.A.tor

kinzebac

Crimebuster

1.8 --- 4

Socratic Wonder

Mutie Fan

ciorac

sacentaur

Neither --- 1

MrBedrock

Abstain --- 1

cousin itt

It's a bit of an old story for me. Is it worth the extra money and time to wait for a better copy? I usually answer, yes.

This is my answer given that I crack out my books and, to be honest, I do not know how rare or historically significant this particular book is. If it's a book that you may not see again ....

Brittle pages (tsk)

Off-white to white pages AND original owner name :cloud9:

Missing chunk (shrug)

Bottom line? The 1.8 IF there's only a choice between the two copies. Otherwise, save the kash for a better condition copy...

With the condition that the book would not be cracked, here is the updated voting:

1.5 --- 11

Phi the Governor

tabcom

october

DavidMerryweather

gino2paulus2

G.A.tor

kinzebac

Crimebuster

Peter in Portugal

Vision75

Thunsicker

1.8 --- 8

Socratic Wonder

Mutie Fan

ciorac

sacentaur

vaillant

Sgeggs

comicjack

Pemart1966

Neither --- 2

MrBedrock

1koko

Abstain --- 2

cousin itt

Rodan57 (?)

Edited by tabcom

Unless I'm seeing the staple creases wrong on the 1.8, it almost looks like the exact same staple placement as the 1.5.

With that in mind (and because these are both low grade books) I might buy both and swap out the interiors.

The 1.5 cover has a full staple tear so I wouldn't try to attach the cover to the insides of the 1.8. The cover would stay detached, but would have the nice interior pages. If the staple placement matches up nicely CGC might even give me a 2.5-3.0 Blue in a best case scenario or 2.5-3.0 Green in a worst case scenario.

The under copy would now be the brittle pages with the missing piece cover. I'd put that up at auction and try to get as much out of it as I could (hopefully $1300-$1500)

That's what I might try....... BUT in the spirit of the thread if I have to only choose 1 and not crack it open, I will choose the 1.5 because for me this comic is all about the iconic cover. I will then pray that the inside pages are only slightly brittle.

Edited by gadzukes