• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sheldon Cooper was correct!

11 posts in this topic

Remember that episode of the Big Bang Theory where the guys are discussing opening their own comic shop?

Sheldon adds that buying a van and giving kids rides to the comic store while wearing Spandex would be a great idea?

Of course Leonard is thinking, here comes jail-time for a bunch of pedophiles.

Ludicrous idea, no?

Well, I was just reading FLASH #225 (Bronze Age FLASH) and near the back of the comic was this blurb about the new COMICMOBILE (see blurb below).

Sol Harrison, with the blessing of Carmine Infantino, would have someone drive this comicmobile around delivering comics to kids.

I love the parts that say "covers of the latest issues filling the windows" and "inside, the van is decorated with posters..." and "stopping at day camps, parks, beaches..." and "beginning a fleet of comicmobiles all around the country..."

Was this actually fro real? Does anyone remember seeing this van in the the test cities listed?

Or were they just pulling our collective legs (pun intended).

Maybe Sheldon wasn't so far off the mark. At least it doesn't say "free candy" on the side.

comicmobile.jpg

Michael Uslan also drove the Comicmobile. Here's an interesting article on it.

http://www.kleefeldoncomics.com/2014/07/on-history-comicmobile.html

So did "the answer man" Bob Rozakis.

21017b00299ebf51e00aba67dd42247c_zps7sbajpbu.jpg

After Rozakis, Bruce Hamilton, publisher of Gladstone comics had the van shipped to Arizona where he drove it for a while until it was totaled in a collision with a semi.

Yes, it was a more innocent age, and the comic book biz was much smaller potatoes, too.

My friends and I saw that same "DC Comic World" page, and couldn't get over how lucky the kids in NY and NJ were to have fleets (as we imagined it) of rolling comic book vendors driving through their neighborhoods.

Btw...that van is aces. If I had it, I'd paint it midnight blue, have somebody airbrush Frazetta's "Snow Giants" on the back doors, install a vintage analog receiver and tape deck, and blast Foghat and Blue Oyster Cult tunes while I sat in it in my driveway...

You're gonna airbrush Franzetta and NOT rock Rush on the system???? Good thing you don't have the van :baiting:lol

lol Yes, we are obviously separated by doctrinal differences! :)

Btw...my other period-evoking choices would have been Black Oak Arkansas, Uriah Heep, and Montrose...