• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it Time for Buyers to Drop EBay?
1 1

85 posts in this topic

Ill drop in a point or two. 1. I have almost entirely, though not fully, dropped ebay as a place to buy ungraded books b/c of the things CI mentions but 2. Not too many book shows come here to Nashville TN which would lend me to have to drive aways to them which is a bit inconvenient when I want to purchase books

3. Im too impatient to wait till a convention comes my way before purchasing a graded or ungraded book I want off ebay

4.If I don't buy my books from ebay, the speculators will store the high grade cgc's in a vault until they mummify and Ill have to wait till someone else decides to sell before I can pick em out.

I just thought I'd mention that eBay was one of THE reasons why comic collecting didn't just about keel over and die a couple years back...without these online auction companies for broke dealers to sell their stuff it could've been pretty bad. Anyways, I like to buy unslabbed stuff too...and since I can't usually get to many shows (they don't have comics in Iowa)...I buy from eBay...haven't had problems yet

Brian

"I tested this format out with some Modern comics and I tossed the package around, dropped it, etc and the books came out with nary a scratch. Disappointed (since they're Moderns) I ripped them up anyway, but it did prove a point. "

"Hey Scottish, go in a wheelchair and do a Samuel L. Jackson routine at the Modern comic rack. Now that would be divine retribution to someone like Darth."

........... laugh.gif are you single-handedly trying to lower the supply of high grade moderns?............... grin.gif

It is in my opinion that making the switch from ebay to cons would prove to be futile, as most of the "relatively-conscious" dealers and sellers who attend cons, run local shops or virtual ones, and are "chipmunking" mid/high caliber keys, ARE CLEARLY using ebay yields, AND NOT the OPG as a benchmark for their own pricing.

Although I have to agree that it is somewhat frustrating, on the one hand, to have to wait for key thats been on your radar to pop-up, and on the other, to fall victim to either a bidding war, a selling scam, or worse -- a book that arrives restored or damaged in transit, unless that mountain we call ebay suddenly becomes a molehill overnight, the argument for buying at cons just doesn't measure up to the sheer numbers of material on an online person-to-person trading community, a.k.a. ebay.

Happy Hunting!

Hey, I used to feel the exact same way about EBay and championed its cause for a long time. I simply feel that the pendulum may have swung a bit too far in favor of the online world, and I continue to shake my head at the deals I passed up at some of the summer shows.

I always used to think "there's no way a con has better deals than EBay", but of late, I'm starting to rethink that statement.

BTW, I'm a collector who usually is satisfied with VF/NM comics. At a con, these are usually priced reasonably and when you take into consideration that an EBay NM is usually a VF and an EBay NM+ is usually a VF/NM or NM, you get a lot of saps who bid ultra-high on EBay, hoping to flip the book for a profit.

At a show, you can actually see the book in question and buy (or not) based on what grade you feel it is, rather than paying NM prices for a VF comic.

"At a show, you can actually see the book in question and buy (or not) based on what grade you feel it is, rather than paying NM prices for a VF comic."

...that's very true, but i think it's just a case of being more selective on ebay............either buy from dealers whose grading you trust, or if bidding on a books from a seller you don't know, only bid up to a price a grade lower than advertised.............then if they turn up in the grade stated, you're ahead........ grin.gif

Canada is a real backwater for comics. Full of hillbillies & bankrupt comicshop store stock. Even more bankrupt comic warehouses in the Seattle, WA/Portland, OR area. Where else can u pick up nm bronze or unread run of Strawberry Ewok Droids smirk.gif (Star) for WAY less than Overstreet?

Ebay is the # 1 place for collectors to buy/sell comics bar none. Collectors will not abondon it en masse. It's here to stay despite its shortcomings. If someone can suggest a better place for all of us collectors to go...please, I'm all ears...

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

Hey, I know the deal about EBay, determining bid prices and having an eye for scans, and I've come out extremely well in my transactions. This isn't sour grapes, but I sense a quantum shift in market emphasis away from the shows and towards EBay.

This has been underway for a long time now, but is now becoming extremely obvious. I adhere to the "buy where they ain't" doctrine be it comics or places of business, and I think a lot of smart money has already shifted gears a long while ago.

Canada is a real backwater for comics. Full of hillbillies & bankrupt comicshop store stock.

Damn straight and I can't name a show I went to in Ontario where there wasn't at least one table with some wild surprises on it. Just lie flat on the floor and scan for the sellers wearing hip-waders. grin.gif

>>Ebay is the # 1 place for collectors to buy/sell comics bar none.<<

I think the genre is a factor. I know that pre-code horror and Fiction House jungle type books don't do that well on ebay. But when I go to a show like Wonderdon, I notice that on opening the dealers have a goodly supply but on closing that supply is very noticeably depleted. Now when something like a Phantom Lady or a Dagar Desert Hawk comes online, or a CGC 9 or better comes online, the bidding can get interesting. But these things don;t happen that often.

I have a list of vavorite sellers on e-bay. These are people that will work with me to resolve any problem that comes up in a transaction. There are many of these sellers on e-bay. Maybe you should use them insted of "rolling the dice"? Just a thought.

It is generally cheaper to buy orig art fr eBay rather than via big auction. No 12-15% juice + higher pro shipping & handling charges. Canuck comic collectors complain about 7% gst tax on incoming comics, but orig art collectors must contend w/ 14.5% taxes on incoming art to BC. Some countries in Europe have 30% importation tax on incoming artwork. crazy.gif Nasty.

I have a list of vavorite sellers on e-bay. These are people that will work with me to resolve any problem that comes up in a transaction. There are many of these sellers on e-bay. Maybe you should use them insted of "rolling the dice"? Just a thought.

Once again, I do quite well on my EBay purchases thank you very much (Yo, Scottish, I could use some verification here! grin.gif ), but I am also starting to realize that due to the growing capital on EBay, it is actually more economically viable (in some cases) to just buy a portion of your comics at shows rather than EBay.

I have always "bought where they ain't" (which is why I'm buying Bronze Defenders now for fire-sale prices) and I was able to find some amazing deals at the last show I went to this summer. I even passed on books that I should have bought in hindsight.

CI does have an uncanny knack at finding incredible eBay deals on a continual basis. He let me in on an Iron Fist #4 30 cent variant CGC 9.4 that I picked up for less than slab cost. Tons of other examples, but that is the one that really sticks out in my mind. BUNCHES of 30 cent variant auctions recently - seemed like the seller was having a fire sale or something. Silly me didn't bid high enough on some of 'em, but I did pretty well.

Now if you can just get me a 9.9 Hulk 181 for 20 bucks I'll be a happy camper! wink.gifgrin.gif