• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should there be a happy birthday sub forum ?

104 posts in this topic

No.

doh!

Frankly, I get tired of people whining about this.

One single thread would destroy the point of it, as would a sub forum.

At work, or other areas in real life, when somebody has a birthday, do you pull them aside and wish them a happy birthday in a side room, or just say it as the day unfolds?

Not visiting CG because of the birthday threads is anybody's choice, but seems :screwy: to me.

It's hardly difficult to pick out the threads you want to investigate.

I've been on other boards that used the single thread model for birthdays and it worked just fine.

It doesn't seem to work here and that's fine too. These things have a way of working themselves out.

Here's a great example of that...

http://classiccomics.boards.net/thread/136/all-purpose-happy-birthday-thread

I like the way it is.

Same here!

If you are going to ask for a sub-forum for yet another topic, why are others more acceptable that have nothing to do with comic books in general?

When there are, say 30 visible topics on the main page, 6 are stickies and 14 (or whatever number) are hbd threads (majority for folks that never post or rarely contribute) it just struck me as "odd". And it's apparent that feeling is the majority so far (shrug)

It is easier to over look one or two off topic threads but when you see 9 consecutive hbd threads , that's where i think maybe a change?

I like the way it is.

Same here!

If you are going to ask for a sub-forum for yet another topic, why are others more acceptable that have nothing to do with comic books in general?

Right now I count an overwhelming four birthday posts on the first page of CG.

Out of about thirty or so.

This "problem" is so blown out of proportion by some.

The analogy of work applies. Wishes aren't whispered off to the side in private in real life. And you wish people you know and/or want to and not strangers. The comment about wheeling out an old cake and crossing off the names makes no sense.

No.

doh!

At work, or other areas in real life, when somebody has a birthday, do you pull them aside and wish them a happy birthday in a side room, or just say it as the day unfolds?

Not visiting CG because of the birthday threads is anybody's choice, but seems :screwy: to me.

The flaw in this line of reasoning, IMO, is that very few of these threads are for those "friends" or regular contributors ... I see a few hbd threads for members that haven't posted or contributed or been "seen" in a while. You don't celebrate your once a year delivery drivers bd at work? Or the copy repairman you rarely if ever see. That's the "difference" to me (shrug)

I like the way it is.

Same here!

Right now I count an overwhelming four birthday posts on the first page of CG.

Out of about thirty or so.

This "problem" is so blown out of proportion by some.

The analogy of work applies. Wishes aren't whispered off to the side in private in real life. And you wish people you know and/or want to and not strangers. The comment about wheeling out an old cake and crossing off the names makes no sense.

At this point, it ranges between a 2-3 on the RFS. Let's circle back to this when it hits a 8-9.

fxmBc1V.jpg

No.

doh!

But at work, do they also wheel out the same dried up old birthday cake and cards and just cross off the last name and add the new person?

Because the majority of the posts in the birthday threads are just that...same old meme with a new name. It's hardly personal.

I always try to find a picture of a cake that matches their screen name, personality or interests. If they are not active members though, I usually leave no comment at all.

I dont really see a problem with the threads though and ai think Oak used to only do it for people that are actually around or posting.

I don't have any problem with birthday threads, however I do find BD threads for members who haven't posted in years to be a bit odd. Like CAHokie above, I don't reply to all BD threads, but those I do reply to are not copy-n-paste messages. I try to "personalize" them to some degree.

When there are, say 30 visible topics on the main page, 6 are stickies and 14 (or whatever number) are hbd threads (majority for folks that never post or rarely contribute) it just struck me as "odd". And it's apparent that feeling is the majority so far (shrug)

It is easier to over look one or two off topic threads but when you see 9 consecutive hbd threads , that's where i think maybe a change?

What do you have your navigation settings at? I am seeing all of three (3) individual birthday threads and one consolidated thread.

And as far as people being recognized that hardly post, I think what Oak started encouraging is only posting a recognition thread for those that have posted at least within the year. Maybe a few slipped by I didn't notice. But he was pretty consistent on that, as has been Azkaban I believe.

I'm just not sure how it is a huge concern. And with folks like myself that reuse the same image so as never to come across as favoring someone over another, it sure beats a simple 'happy birthday' in every thread that someone may post in. Does that even show any effort or care?

(shrug)

There is never going to be a sub-forum - the poll should be about whether the person/persons creating the threads should be discouraged from spamming the forum...so that.....(wait for it)

....people who actually interact and know these people having birthdays can start threads, maybe in the person's favourite forum where they post (moderns, gold, sigs) - then these birthday threads might require some effort from the posters (ie-responding to what has been posted, :baiting: the birthday boy/girl etc.. ) and we might actually have some content in them rather than the same generic garbage

Will we have other Comics General sub-forums for topics not comic related?

- Sales and buying complaints (including Ebay username listings)

- Fundraisers, charities, community event contributions

- Recognizing someone's pressing service

- Life event statements, ponderings and general thoughts

That's what gets me Nick,the amount of charity threads is crazy high.

I understand the occasional one for fellow board members,but we are getting ones for the corner LCS in a town I've never heard of,to a person we all don't know?

I've got problems too ,do I come on here and ask for a charity thread? No! We all have problems.

So what gets under everyone's fingernails? Birthday threads! How sad ones life must be to be so worried about birthday threads.

you've never heard of Chicago?