• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy 15 - Price Correction?

162 posts in this topic

To the OP, you'd probably need to give reasons for what you already think is a fairly contrarian position, otherwise there's very little reason for anyone to engage you in any kind of intelligent way, and even less reason to think you'd understand the argument.

Otherwise, this reads as "hey I think the sky has been too blue lately, I think its due for a correction."

Why would anyone want to engage?

Here are the reasons that lead me to think it's due to decline.

1. There's thousands of copies

2. Is Spider-Man really that popular anymore? Today's generation seems to be more interested in Deadpool, Wolverine, and Harley Quinn than Spider-Man.

3. It's disproportionately expensive compared to X-Men 1, Fantastic Four 1, and the other Marvel 1st's.

I agree with your first point. I do wonder why the high availability doesn't hold the price back.

Regarding 2, it's still immensely popular amongst Silver Age comic collectors, and I think that's what matters. The cosplayer and modern comic reader populations are distinctive from comic hoarders / SA collectors IMO.

well it doesn't really matter how many copies are out there provided the number of people willing to pay for one far exceeds that number. You can use the Wolverine in the same way, and yet there are FAR FAR more high grade (and any grade) copies of Hulk 181 and far less Wolverine fans than Spidey fans. We're talking about orders of magnitudes in BOTH directions on those comparison scales, and you can see why AF15 costs exponentially more. If you fancy yourself a serious collector, that is the 1 must have comic that will give you cred with EVERYONE, comic collector or not. Other's are either 'pretty cool NOW (avengers 1 or 4) , 'sorta niche' (Daredevil 1), or way too expensive (action 1 or tec 27).

To the OP, you'd probably need to give reasons for what you already think is a fairly contrarian position, otherwise there's very little reason for anyone to engage you in any kind of intelligent way, and even less reason to think you'd understand the argument.

Otherwise, this reads as "hey I think the sky has been too blue lately, I think its due for a correction."

Why would anyone want to engage?

Here are the reasons that lead me to think it's due to decline.

1. There's thousands of copies

2. Is Spider-Man really that popular anymore? Today's generation seems to be more interested in Deadpool, Wolverine, and Harley Quinn than Spider-Man.

3. It's disproportionately expensive compared to X-Men 1, Fantastic Four 1, and the other Marvel 1st's.

What evidence do you have for number 2? Spider-Man comics outsell most of those books. Also look at how much merchandise Spidey moves. I think he moves more than Superman and Batman combined from a source someone recently posted. I'll look for it...

Granted the Worldwide sales account for a lot of it, but still...

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-31%20at%207.19.06%20PM_zpsltrsbb1m.png

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superhero-earns-13-billion-a-748281

And here is your answer. Ol' Webhead rules! :headbang:

Interesting. I had no idea Spider-Man was so popular internationally. Batman's lack of international market by comparison is pretty interesting.

Die Spinne!

I'm a collector first and foremost, so unless they are smaller books to flip, these type of books I just try to buy and hold (forever?). I will state this though: I believe Capt. America will be the biggest film next year, and if Spidey's in it at great length, this book will be on fire next summer.

All my opinion, and mostly based at HOW GREAT Capt 2's film truly is. The more I watch it, the better it gets, and that is a rarity.

well it doesn't really matter how many copies are out there provided the number of people willing to pay for one far exceeds that number.

True

+1

Absolutely. It's both Supply AND Demand that determines its market value, not just supply (scarcity) alone. The demand out there for an AF15 more than makes up for the readily available copies. Same is true for Hulk 181. :preach:

The numismatic marketplace has probably has 50 times the collectors base as comic books

One of the most famous, desirable and rare coins is the 1916 standing liberty quarter,

Out of an original mintage of only 52,000

I believe there are about 5000 surviving graded examples, due to the risk involved this coin is almost never sold raw.

This coin can be purchased now NGC graded and in nice uncirculated condition for about 16K

by this comparison

either this coin is undervalued or AF15 is overvalued

The numismatic marketplace has probably has 50 times the collectors base as comic books

One of the most famous, desirable and rare coins is the 1916 standing liberty quarter,

I believe there are about 5000 surviving graded examples, due to the risk involved this coin is almost never sold raw.

This coin can be purchased now NGC graded and in nice uncirculated condition for about 16K

by this comparison

If 5000 copies only nets 16K with a 50 times larger base of collectors, the desirability factor is nowhere near an AF15

That is one conclusion that can be drawn Kav,.. there are also many other conclusions that can be drawn as well

Yup

It has a natural buffer against a collapsing bubble of any kind-a huge number of people that want to own one and just cant afford current prices. Don't see it as overvalued when it's valued by so many.

by this comparison

zzz

by this comparison

If 5000 copies only nets 16K with a 50 times larger base of collectors, the desirability factor is nowhere near an AF15

Not seeing a lot of 1916 standing liberty quarter costumes on Halloween. :baiting:

Some people used to build their house on sand, and they mocked those who offered other suggestions, others preferred to build their house on rock.

To those who may be thinking of investing in AF15 at todays prices could very well have a hideous future awakening in store

So you are saying an investment may go down? You should have your own show.