• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

It's unfortunate when self-styled bullies prevail. I know why he said he sold his book. He didn't much care for the needless and toxic posting that a handful of people decided to take upon themselves to come into an appreciation thread- this particular appreciation thread for some unknown reason- and go on and on and on about a book they don't own and won't (likely) own, and evidently do not "appreciate".

That experience left such a bad taste in his mouth he has now decided to leave the boards altogether.

Is that what these boards are supposed to be about?

I sure hope not.

Any-who, it's been two and a half weeks since that raw copy sold for $2k+, and nary another copy can be found anywhere. A fairly sizable sale of a raw copy has yet to coax any other copies to the market from owners looking to "cash in" which follows the same pattern of the other handful of sales that have occurred publicly with this book.

There's just not many of them out there and the few owners who have them don't appear to be interested in letting them go, for any price. That just adds to the uniqueness and special-ness IMO. :cloud9:

-J.

Dog.. I understand your enthusiasm for this particular issue, but what RMA is saying about the subject carries a lot of weight. He's just saying that a lot of people lost their shirts in the 90's because of gimmicks, and that by paying thousands for these books could lead to heavy financial loss for the uninformed. Not attacking you personally. I say to each their own. I've bought many books that were waay overpriced, because I had to have them at that second. But, I knew what I was getting into, which makes me twice as stupid. Bottom line.. just enjoy, and if you really want to argue a point, have concrete evidence of whatever it is you want to argue.. otherwise you're going to be massacred by the collectors on this board who pretty much know everything there is to know about the business.

It's unfortunate when self-styled bullies prevail. I know why he said he sold his book. He didn't much care for the needless and toxic posting that a handful of people decided to take upon themselves to come into an appreciation thread- this particular appreciation thread for some unknown reason- and go on and on and on about a book they don't own and won't (likely) own, and evidently do not "appreciate".

That experience left such a bad taste in his mouth he has now decided to leave the boards altogether.

I sure hope not.

Any-who, it's been two and a half weeks since that raw copy sold for $2k+, and nary another copy can be found anywhere. A fairly sizable sale of a raw copy has yet to coax any other copies to the market from owners looking to "cash in" which follows the same pattern of the other handful of sales that have occurred publicly with this book.

There's just not many of them out there and the few owners who have them don't appear to be interested in letting them go, for any price. That just adds to the uniqueness and special-ness IMO. :cloud9:

-J.

Dog.. I understand your enthusiasm for this particular issue, but what RMA is saying about the subject carries a lot of weight. He's just saying that a lot of people lost their shirts in the 90's because of gimmicks, and that by paying thousands for these books could lead to heavy financial loss for the uninformed. Not attacking you personally. I say to each their own. I've bought many books that were waay overpriced, because I had to have them at that second. But, I knew what I was getting into, which makes me twice as stupid. Bottom line.. just enjoy, and if you really want to argue a point, have concrete evidence of whatever it is you want to argue.. otherwise you're going to be massacred by the collectors on this board who pretty much know everything there is to know about the business.

Understood. (thumbs u

And again, it is also understood that most of your statements could be made about nearly any collectible, commodity, or pretty much any-thing that has value beyond " intrinsic value".

This is not a forum that requires "concrete evidence" and nobody on here should be expecting that. I don't, nor does anyone else, have an obligation to "prove beyond a reasonable doubt" anything to anybody on here. Especially when these so-called "experts" should understand from the beginning that we are talking about books with deliberately un-disclosed print runs. Only a half-wit would be trying to get into a semantic debate about details and "hard evidence" when the entire subject can only be had based on speculative guesstimates in the first place. There are a few who, quite frankly, had no business posting in this thread, and were engaging in conduct that was unproductive, toxic, and borderline harassing.

You don't think the book is rare ? Fabulous, you made your point, now move along.

But alas, it is rare. By every single possible litmus that has ever been used by anyone ever, the book is rare.

In fact to state that the book is not rare, is where the UN-informed speculation begins and where we start waxing moronically about crates of books sitting undiscovered in warehouses, garages, and back porches, or that the one or two of the 200 or so copies of this particular book that come up for sale a year could somehow bring down "The Market", or that collectors must not know what they are doing paying such prices for a modern book that is "only" 4 years old. doh!

News flash ! :news: Anyone who is paying that kind of cash for such a notoriously and famously rare book more likely than not knows exactly what they're doing, and why they are doing it. So don't worry about them. Worry about people who think "Gwen-pool" and a Scooby-Doo book with Harley Quinn in it are the next Big Thing. Or better yet, don't worry about any of it, and let people discuss their books and this hobby in peace without needing to worry about feeling attacked or belittled simply because they like something that you don't, or own something that you essentially cannot. (thumbs u

Don't like it or don't agree ? Sorry, but I don't need to "prove" or show anything to anyone beyond that which is readily available and easily observed by anyone, which, not coincidentally, is actually the best kind of "proof".

Don't like that kind of proof? Fantastic. Say your piece and move along and find the sort of proof that you like and feel more than welcome to report it back to us in this thread anytime you wish. (thumbs u

As for this particular book (or the 678 VenoMJ, the UXM 510 sketch, the Wolverine 1 Cambpell, Batman 608RRP, Mouseguard 1, Maxx 1 or 3 Black) or any other obscenely rare modern book that sells for hefty prices for that matter, I hardly think that the few sales in a year of the 50-500 copies that exist jeopardize "The Industry" or will cause any person at all to "lose their shirts" in either the short or the long run. :whee:

-J.

I sure hope not.

-J.

Understood. (thumbs u

And again, it is also understood that most of your statements could be made about nearly any collectible, commodity, or pretty much any-thing that has value beyond " intrinsic value".

This is not a forum that requires "concrete evidence" and nobody on here should be expecting that. I don't, nor does anyone else, have an obligation to "prove beyond a reasonable doubt" anything to anybody on here. Especially when these so-called "experts" should understand from the beginning that we are talking about books with deliberately un-disclosed print runs. Only a half-wit would be trying to get into a semantic debate about details and "hard evidence" when the entire subject can only be had based on speculative guesstimates in the first place. There are a few who, quite frankly, had no business posting in this thread, and were engaging in conduct that was unproductive, toxic, and borderline harassing.

You don't think the book is rare ? Fabulous, you made your point, now move along.

But alas, it is rare. By every single possible litmus that has ever been used by anyone ever, the book is rare.

In fact to state that the book is not rare, is where the UN-informed speculation begins and where we start waxing moronically about crates of books sitting undiscovered in warehouses, garages, and back porches, or that the one or two of the 200 or so copies of this particular book that come up for sale a year could somehow bring down "The Market", or that collectors must not know what they are doing paying such prices for a modern book that is "only" 4 years old. doh!

News flash ! :news: Anyone who is paying that kind of cash for such a notoriously and famously rare book more likely than not knows exactly what they're doing, and why they are doing it. So don't worry about them. Worry about people who think "Gwen-pool" and a Scooby-Doo book with Harley Quinn in it are the next Big Thing. Or better yet, don't worry about any of it, and let people discuss their books and this hobby in peace without needing to worry about feeling attacked or belittled simply because they like something that you don't, or own something that you essentially cannot. (thumbs u

Don't like it or don't agree ? Sorry, but I don't need to "prove" or show anything to anyone beyond that which is readily available and easily observed by anyone, which, not coincidentally, is actually the best kind of "proof".

Don't like that kind of proof? Fantastic. Say your piece and move along and find the sort of proof that you like and feel more than welcome to report it back to us in this thread anytime you wish. (thumbs u

As for this particular book (or the 678 VenoMJ, the UXM 510 sketch, the Wolverine 1 Cambpell, Batman 608RRP, Mouseguard 1, Maxx 1 or 3 Black) or any other obscenely rare modern book that sells for hefty prices for that matter, I hardly think that the few sales in a year of the 50-500 copies that exist jeopardize "The Industry" or will cause any person at all to "lose their shirts" in either the short or the long run. :whee:

-J.

Relax, man. Have a snickers. Re-read what I said ,and notice my friendly tone.

I sure hope not.

-J.

Understood. (thumbs u

-J.

(thumbs u The post probably seemed more personalized toward you than was intended.

-J.

I sure hope not.

-J.

Understood. (thumbs u

-J.

(thumbs u The post probably seemed more personalized toward you than was intended.

-J.

No problem. And although I disagree with a lot of the things you say on the matter, I do admire your enthusiasm.

those Black Maxx Ashcans though...

521_zps5rzoboui.jpg

:o(worship)

-J.

the 667 variant is indeed hard to come by... why did I pass on that very nice looking copy a few years back... now nm copies are close to 2k... niche' collectors have their own piece of the market outside of the norm...

those Black Maxx Ashcans though...

521_zps5rzoboui.jpg

:o(worship)

-J.

the 667 variant is indeed hard to come by... why did I pass on that very nice looking copy a few years back... now nm copies are close to 2k... niche' collectors have their own piece of the market outside of the norm...

Demand will ebb and flow with the business cycle

Over a longer time horizon we will learn the true staying power of these variants

"Time will tell" us about pretty much everything under the sun. The "club" of ultra rare modern variants that increase markedly in value, and do not come crashing back to earth is incredibly small. Probably as few as 10. However, in order for the hobby to survive into the future there will ultimately have to be books released today that separate themselves from the pack and never look back, for whatever that reason is.

The list is incredibly short, but it is real. Since they are all printed in just the low to mid hundreds it won't even take much demand at all for them to at least maintain their values- and only a slight increase in demand to cause values to skyrocket As we have seen with the 667 (and the others mentioned in my prior post).

-J.

"Time will tell" us about pretty much everything under the sun. The "club" of ultra rare modern variants that increase markedly in value, and do not come crashing back to earth is incredibly small. Probably as few as 10. However, in order for the hobby to survive into the future there will ultimately have to be books released today that separate themselves from the pack and never look back, for whatever that reason is.

The list is incredibly short, but it is real. Since they are all printed in just the low to mid hundreds it won't even take much demand at all for them to at least maintain their values- and only a slight increase in demand to cause values to skyrocket As we have seen with the 667 (and the others mentioned in my prior post).

-J.

One thing I believe everyone can agree on, is that if RMA is correct about Marvel's way of printing/distributing variant books, it's value will drop faster than an old mans' nuts. I think those who got in on the ground floor with this book will almost always be able to turn some kind of profit. It's unlikely it will ever become a "worthless" book. But, the people paying these huge sums of money for it now are going to be left holding a heavy bag in the future.

If they want it for their collection, great! I just wouldn't buy it as an investment. Even huge books like Walking Dead will eventually, (if they already haven't) plateau, and people late to the game will most likely lose money if they try to sell down the line after the show is long gone.

Not comparing to this book, but I remember as a kid paying $50 for Fish Police 1 (1st print) thinking I was going to make a killing on it. Didn't happen. But, I still have the copy for my collection, and that's good enough. If that happens to collectors of this particular issue, or any of the "hot" variants, it'll be a much bigger hit than $50 if they choose to sell, but if they're true collectors, and not just flippers, they'll be happy having it in their collection regardless of any loss.

-J.

One thing I believe everyone can agree on, is that if RMA is correct about Marvel's way of printing/distributing variant books, it's value will drop faster than an old mans' nuts. I think those who got in on the ground floor with this book will almost always be able to turn some kind of profit. It's unlikely it will ever become a "worthless" book. But, the people paying these huge sums of money for it now are going to be left holding a heavy bag in the future.

If they want it for their collection, great! I just wouldn't buy it as an investment. Even huge books like Walking Dead will eventually, (if they already haven't) plateau, and people late to the game will most likely lose money if they try to sell down the line after the show is long gone.

Not comparing to this book, but I remember as a kid paying $50 for Fish Police 1 (1st print) thinking I was going to make a killing on it. Didn't happen. But, I still have the copy for my collection, and that's good enough. If that happens to collectors of this particular issue, or any of the "hot" variants, it'll be a much bigger hit than $50 if they choose to sell, but if they're true collectors, and not just flippers, they'll be happy having it in their collection regardless of any loss.

As a general rule of thumb, I do agree with many of RMA's assertions. Also, we are talking about Spider-Man here, one of the most collected and popular characters in the hobby, not some random and obscure title from the '80s.

And again, this book, and the others that fall into the similar category that I mentioned, do not fit the typical mold, and therein lies the appeal to variant hunters and completionists alike. You can find just about any issue of Spider-man for sale right now on ebay, including every variant. Except one notable one. Which is why we see the values that we do. Any comic can "drop in value" anytime for any reason or for no reason. But at the end of the day, the absolute scarcity alone is a fairly significant hedge.

-J.

-J.

I sure hope so. :headbang:

-J.

There is one serious problem in your strategy here.

In searching for the the 10 or so variants that will not come crashing back down to earth, you will most likely end up going bankrupt spending big dollars on the thousands (or is it tens of thousands by now) of variants that do come crashing back down to earth. :gossip::tonofbricks:

-J.

In searching for the the 10 or so variants that will not come crashing back down to earth, you will most likely end up going bankrupt spending big dollars on the thousands (or is it tens of thousands by now) of variants that do come crashing back down to earth. :gossip::tonofbricks:

lol I'm not advocating any "strategy". I don't chase any book for value or potential future value. I chase what I like.

This applies to golden age, on down to the modernest of moderns.

(thumbs u

-J.

-J.

lol I'm not advocating any "strategy". I don't chase any book for value or potential future value. I chase what I like.

(thumbs u

-J.

That's what I was getting at at the end of my last post. Regardless of what you spend, it's all about collecting what you want, and not based on future potential. It IS however, a safer investment with GA books. Collectors and people in general have a 5 minute attention span, and it will be interesting to see if you're right about these modern variants as they age. It's a coin flip in my mind. It all depends on actual vs perceived rarity in my mind.

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

That's what I was getting at at the end of my last post. Regardless of what you spend, it's all about collecting what you want, and not based on future potential. It IS however, a safer investment with GA books. Collectors and people in general have a 5 minute attention span, and it will be interesting to see if you're right about these modern variants as they age. It's a coin flip in my mind. It all depends on actual vs perceived rarity in my mind.

lol It's like my buddy said - either this is the only modern in the hobby that no one either submits or sells no matter how high the prices go on the rare occasion one does sell publicly- or there's just a handful of them out there to begin with. If both scenarios happen to be the case (as has seemed to be the last four years), watch out. :ohnoez:

Either way, tough, tough book.

-J.

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

lol It's like my buddy said - either this is the only modern in the hobby that no one either submits or sells no matter how high the prices go on the rare occasion one does sell publicly- or there's just a handful of them out there to begin with. If both scenarios happen to be the case (as has seemed to be the last four years), watch out. :ohnoez:

Either way, tough, tough book.

-J.

There is more than 2 scenarios. lol