• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

I'm going to file a complaint

RMA, Junk Donkey, Steen Rain, Divad, mschmidt, Broke As A Joke, Brian R: all gone. Now if the others don't reply to their posts it would be as if they aren't here at all.

YAY I made an ignored list !!!!

Honestly , I am here for the entertainment value of the posts. Jay, I just think its funny all the books you called out as being shilled not "real keys" and worth the money, hyped up etc. Yet the last auction of this book looked shilled ( I thought so as others) and because you are in love with this book you are blind to that possibility.

Looks like the 678 and 667 are two for two after all.

This, from the seller of the 667 on ebay:

667%20Ebay%20Sale%202_zps3wusqwrp.jpg

IF (and I'm not saying it is one way or the other) a seller shilled his own listing, do you really think he is going to be admitting it to some stranger through eBay messages.....?

hm

:gossip: And by the way, it makes 0 sense to shill a book that is so rare that it almost never comes up for sale either in grade, or at all, since there is effectively no market to manipulate.

This isn't true.

Thank you for sharing your opinion though.

-J.

Your welcome.

I didn't ask him if he shilled his own listing. I asked him if the transaction was completed, ie if the book was still available.

He of course could have said nothing and simply not replied. His response speaks for itself however.

You're really grasping at straws now.

To what end, I do not know at this point. There surely must be better things for you to do with your time.

-J.

You're great at this. lol

Playing dumb when it works for you. Classic.

RMA, Junk Donkey, Steen Rain, Divad, mschmidt, Broke As A Joke, Brian R: all gone. Now if the others don't reply to their posts it would be as if they aren't here at all.

Honestly , I am here for the entertainment value of the posts. Jay, I just think its funny all the books you called out as being shilled not "real keys" and worth the money, hyped up etc. Yet the last auction of this book looked shilled ( I thought so as others) and because you are in love with this book you are blind to that possibility.

IF (and I'm not saying it is one way or the other) a seller shilled his own listing, do you really think he is going to be admitting it to some stranger through eBay messages.....?

hm

:gossip: And by the way, it makes 0 sense to shill a book that is so rare that it almost never comes up for sale either in grade, or at all, since there is effectively no market to manipulate.

This isn't true.

-J.

Your welcome.

I didn't ask him if he shilled his own listing. I asked him if the transaction was completed, ie if the book was still available.

I didn't say you asked him that. However...IF he had shilled it, that doesn't prevent it from being sold...he was just the under (shill) bidder. IF he shilled it (and, again, I'm not saying he did.)

He of course could have said nothing and simply not replied. His response speaks for itself however.

Yes, and all it says is "the book was sold." That doesn't mean it wasn't shilled. You DO know what shilling means, right...?

No, I'm only presenting the truth. I already stated, clearly, "IF this was the case (and I'm not saying it is.)"

So, no, no straw grasping.

To what end, I do not know at this point. There surely must be better things for you to do with your time.

-J.

Your welcome.

This is what you get when you start a krappy thread about a krappy book that real krapheads are willing to pay tons of krap for . . . :grin:

I know, right?

So much worse than the dollar bin "mint condition" gems that you're constantly hawking around here. :eyeroll:

-J.

This thread has influenced me to look at the modern comics section for the very first time and as it is an appreciation thread I will give my honest evaluation of the cover of this #667 variant, the value of this comic is in no way influencing this evaluation.

There is an excellent photo of the Italian edition for sale on Ebay right now that I have scrutinized.

At first glance the cover is slightly confusing but it is quickly apparent that spiderman is hanging upside down from some structure, upon a closer look I still cannot make out what that structure is,.. it is not obvious to me and I have not read the comic but I am assuming it is part of a bridge. the plain white background leaves much to be desired to an old school guy like me and would have in my opinion looked much better with a skyline in the background,

One of the initial posts describes how the comic looks much better in hand, and I am sure this is true and I will have to admit that due to advanced printing techniques and paper quality that all moderns have a superior gloss that was unachievable for golden and silver age comics.

hm

This isn't true.

-J.

Your welcome.

I didn't say you asked him that. However...IF he had shilled it, that doesn't prevent it from being sold...he was just the under (shill) bidder. IF he shilled it (and, again, I'm not saying he did.)

Yes, and all it says is "the book was sold." That doesn't mean it wasn't shilled. You DO know what shilling means, right...?

No, I'm only presenting the truth. I already stated, clearly, "IF this was the case (and I'm not saying it is.)"

-J.

Your welcome.

Taking the 2500, 100% feedback seller at his word ( and I have no reason not to, and neither do you), he had more than enough interest in the book. In fact, I believe he said he had more interest in that one comic than anything else he has ever sold on ebay.

Kind of the way it has been with this book from the beginning.

Sorry you missed out on it. It's definitely something special.

But thank you for sharing your opinion.

-J.

Sure, I have no problem with that. But "agreeing to disagree" doesn't mean "you shut up now, while I say whatever I want to say about it."

That's not how it works.

Sure it is, I said my peace and obviously this thread is going nowhere, so what I meant by saying that is, let's move it back to an appreciation thread.

Jerome

So, "you shut up now, while I say whatever I want to say about it" IS how it works...?

hm

It IS an appreciation thread. I appreciate the book even more than I did when this thread started, because it has gotten me to really thinking about what factors are involved with this book, and why it has the market unavailability and census scarcity that it has. Variants are "my thing", and tracking down the story behind this particular one is going to be a lot of fun for me.

Why does "appreciation" only count if it's agreement with whomever started the tread...? Why is it not "appreciation" unless everyone agrees with everyone else...? Who decides what is, and what is not, legitimate appreciation...?

Does that make any sense...?

Agreeing to disagree is how it works, that is my intent.

"Agreeing to disagree" is one thing. "Agreeing to disagree (while making sure I still make MY points)" is quite another. You did the latter. If you really want to "agree to disagree", I have no problem with that...but to do that, you have to stop talking about it. And others, who don't wish to "agree to disagree", aren't bound by that.

That's how that works.

But you can continue to bait people

I am not baiting anyone. I am having a conversation. And, to that end, you haven't acknowledged your error, which both Mschmidt and I pointed out. Is that "agreeing to disagree"...?

hm

and take a slant on what everyone says as much as you want.

Such as...?

Did I say 'shut up, while I say whatever I want to say about it'? Nope, not even close, but you'll do anything to twist words around to fuel whatever satisfaction you get from doing it.

You didn't say those precise words, but that was the intent behind them. You made your points, and then asked " can't we all just agree to disagree NOW? (emphasis mine)" You made your points, then told everyone that continuing to discuss it was pointless (your word), and "can we all agree to disagree now?", which was an attempt to cut off further discussion.

Otherwise, those words have no meaning.

It's a bit of a contradiction, no....? You wanted to have your cake, and eat it, too.

"Let's agree to disagree" MEANS "We're not going to come to agreement, so let's just stop talking about it." Ok, fine. So...stop talking about it. Don't make your points, and then tell everyone else THEY should stop talking about it. Right?

This is all just standard logic, here.

[insert some snarky ghost joke only long time boardies would understand to prove I'm better than you here]

Jerome

You have a chip on your shoulder. There was nothing in my Cal comment that had anything to do with "proving I'm better than you are", nor was it snarky.

Here's the back story:

Calamerica used to post more frequently on these boards. He didn't like it, and couldn't handle it, when people disagreed with him, so he made up a "List" (yes, capitalized) of people who were "blocked", and then would say, at various times, "You're on the List!"

It was uproariously funny, because Cal took himself far, far too seriously.

It is precisely the same spirit and attitude that Dutch74 is displaying here.

Now...where do you see anything in that about me trying to "prove I'm better than you are"...?

hm

This isn't true.

-J.

Your welcome.

-J.

Your welcome.

Taking the 2500, 100% feedback seller at his word ( and I have no reason not to, and neither do you),

That is correct. Hence, the word "IF", and capitalized, in my original statement.

he had more than enough interest in the book. In fact, I believe he said he had more interest in that one comic than anything else he has ever sold on ebay.

That has nothing to do with whether or not the book was shilled. Not relevant to that point.

Kind of the way it has been with this book from the beginning.

Sorry you missed out on it. It's definitely something special.

I'm not sure what you're apologizing for. How do you know what I "missed out on"....?

hm

But thank you for sharing your opinion.

-J.

Your welcome.

(I wish Domo was here. He'd totally appreciate that. :D )

This thread has influenced me to look at the modern comics section for the very first time and as it is an appreciation thread I will give my honest evaluation of the cover of this #667 variant, the value of this comic is in no way influencing this evaluation.

There is an excellent photo of the Italian edition for sale on Ebay right now that I have scrutinized.

At first glance the cover is slightly confusing but it is quickly apparent that spiderman is hanging upside down from some structure, upon a closer look I still cannot make out what that structure is,.. it is not obvious to me and I have not read the comic but I am assuming it is part of a bridge. the plain white background leaves much to be desired to an old school guy like me and would have in my opinion looked much better with a skyline in the background,

One of the initial posts describes how the comic looks much better in hand, and I am sure this is true and I will have to admit that due to advanced printing techniques and paper quality that all moderns have a superior gloss that was unachievable for golden and silver age comics.

Good eye, spidey is hanging from a bridge. The white background is fairly typical of the artist's cover work. While it is not an action shot, spidey is captured in a classic pose, with an intent "ready to strike" look on his face that is subtle, yet evident even through his mask.

I'm honestly not sure what it is about this cover that impresses me the way it does. All I knew is that I had to have one the moment I saw it. Yes, the rarity of it adds a "feather in the cap" dimension to it, but I was taken aback by it regardless, and I know I was not the only one.

It really does just have a certain pop to it that only so many covers have to them. Add to that it's Spider-Man, and a neo-classic is born. :cloud9:

-J.

In fact, I believe he said he had more interest in that one comic than anything else he has ever sold on ebay.

-J.

I'm not trying to be negative because I do think it's a cool variant but if that's the case, why only 7 bidders?

I'm imagining much of what he is referring to is people looking to make off eBay deals.

I know several boardies here made such inquiries.

-J.

Having looked in detail at the bidding details, it does not look on the up and up to me, as an outsider. M***6 throws in a nuclear bid ($1000 over bid price) and then gets sniped over 25 bucks? You would think when throwing out a bid that high, he would have protected himself on the back end at several hundred dollars higher (he was $25 away from losing for almost 2 hours, why not increase your max bid before close?)

Having looked in detail at the bidding details, it does not look on the up and up to me, as an outsider. M***6 throws in a nuclear bid ($1000 over bid price) and then gets sniped over 25 bucks? You would think when throwing out a bid that high, he would have protected himself on the back end at several hundred dollars higher (he was $25 away from losing for almost 2 hours, why not increase your max bid before close?)

Book is sold and paid for so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it at this point.

It is what it is (and will continue to be):

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=kingsman93&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers

:gossip: It's pretty obvious the under bidder put in a max bid of $2015 that would be enough, however someone sniped at the last second with an even higher max bid, which caused the winning bid to be $25 more the under bidder (that being the next bidding increment).

-J.

A sold book can't be shilled. hm

More baseless speculation from angry people who seem to have nothing better to do than obsess over and go on and on and on about a book they do not own and have no interest in.

Why is there no yawning emoji for me to put here ?

-J.

Unless the nuclear bid was the protection...

The high bidder won the book in the last 7 seconds of the listing. He wasn't $25 away from losing for almost two hours, he was the high bidder at $1055 for two hours.

The second high bidder put in a bid I'm sure he/she thought was unconquerable.

That's what you call "two people very determined to win."

It's certainly possible, had that single winning bidder not come along, that the book would have sold for $1055.