• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing Church Books

60 posts in this topic

Hmmm...I thought Adam Strange owned its Brother? He said the same thing to me last year...at least I think it was him that said that... (shrug)

But whoever it was wanted to trade me little green pieces of paper with pictures of dead white men on them...and I passed... :D

I traded it for some magic beans :cry:

I have two books I bought from Chuck in the 1980's that were sold as Mile Highs but neither is on the list ...

Scratch that, just looked at the list posted in this link and the Crime Must Pay The Penalty is on the list but the Official True Crime isn't

Hmmm...I thought Adam Strange owned its Brother? He said the same thing to me last year...at least I think it was him that said that... (shrug)

But whoever it was wanted to trade me little green pieces of paper with pictures of dead white men on them...and I passed... :D

I traded it for some magic beans :cry:

:sorry:

He had several cats so the stories are true.

Cat pee on the top of the book, really only noticeable on the back cover.

punch15.jpg

Not sure why it's on the top of the book and the back cover.

Shouldn't they be down at the bottom of the front cover chasing those rats? lol

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> th_Cat_Animated.gif

Cats can't help marking their territory, ...but regardless of rumors to the contrary, my Mile Highs are all pee free! (thumbs u

Boardie Robotman spoke of buying Church books out of boxes from Chuck at a show..... I believe it may have been pre-catalogue, and he still has some of them and posted scans in his thread. One thing about comic fandom in the late 70's, things were very cheap and many collectors didn't care about preservation..... they just wanted copies to pile up and read. The books may no longer be pedigree quality, owners may have died and books may have been tossed. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yeah, I bought a nice little pile from Chuck at Casual Con in Anaheim shortly after he found the collection. He talks about it in his "Tales of the Database" thread on the collection. I am pretty sure this was before he made up the list. Although I sold/traded away quite a few I think I still have a fair amount from that buy. I will go look on the list and see if I have some that aren't there. I know I bought a Jumbo that is from the collection at that time that I have seen another copy slabbed as the Mile High. So, there are some that are duplicates.

I went to John Mclaughlin's house several times. He had stuff you just wouldn't believe. His comics were awsome but he had top of the line pulps, movie posters and rare books. He had a signed first edition Frankenstein he showed me once. He not only bought a ton of books directly from Chuck but had a standing offer to pay 4 times guide for any Mile High book. Lots of locals sold them their copies. They were just sitting on the floor un-bagged in piles. He had several cats so the stories are true.

According to his obit. from 2005 John McLaughlin had around 2,000 Mile High comics at the time of his death. That's a lot of Church.

That's actually a bad scan...this is how it really looks...

2w54tjt.jpg

It needs to be reunited with its brother.

eagle%201_zps2szi9fzi.jpg

Beautiful books! Now those are some serious LB Cole war covers :cloud9: . I have their ugly red headed stepchildren, but seeing the Mile High copies is amazing! That Eagle 2 is near impossible to find!

He also owned the Punch 12 raw along with quite a few others

Any cat pee on the Punch 12?

It was a great looking copy but, sadly, it was extensive on the front cover.

Adds to its mystique! :D

.... I would imagine it no longer has the cedar aroma..... GOD BLESS....

=jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

He also owned the Punch 12 raw along with quite a few others

Any cat pee on the Punch 12?

It was a great looking copy but, sadly, it was extensive on the front cover.

Adds to its mystique! :D

.... I would imagine it no longer has the cedar aroma..... GOD BLESS....

=jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It could still make a good filler book. hm

punch15.jpg

interesting they didn't note that on the label.

They did...they noted "5.0".

punch15.jpg

I think this one qualifies for the "Post your CAT books thread!"

punch15.jpg

I think this one qualifies for the "Post your CAT books thread!"

lol-risa-185.gif' alt='27_laughing.gif.62deb96933a6d30aaf250d01cf4616c7.gif' alt='lol'>-risa-185.gif'> :signfunny:

He stored them on the floor in un-bagged stacks. He had numerous cats who had the run of the house. The male ones used some of the stacks as their kitty boxes...

There were stacks all over the house of comics, pulps ect.

:sick: Personally I prefer the cedar chest aroma.

Thanks R.M!

I think I may have two ungraded Church peepee books...or,just peepee books.. :(

At least i have my Supersnipes.

You should get 'em graded to be sure. At least they'd be Church pedi-pee. :wishluck:

John McLaughlin (The Book Sail) was an odd duck. He had a standing offer to buy Church books, so we once agreed on a grouping including some Centaurs (later A-Mans). He defaulted half-way through the deal, and I never spoke with him again.

At his home, he mixed raw books together including high-graders with pedigrees. It later become difficult to tell what was what (especially after some books had been cat peed on).

John once got into a huge beef with another dealer, and at one SDCC the dealer wore an anti-McLaughlin t-shirt that he had specially created - kind of funny, kind of sad.

My understanding is that John's doctor misdiagnosed a health condition that he ultimately passed away from (I don't recall the year).

Yet another 'character' in this beloved hobby of ours...