• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Auction: Thoughts?

231 posts in this topic

Infantino star wars first run pages sell 2500-4500 dollars from what ive seen. I know its an odd cover (only of the only conceptual covers on the run) but it still an Infantino US published first run cover. Very few of those in existence. I thought it would sell 28k, and i think thats still happening.

OK - well, I'm surprised by that, I would have valued it lower, but then I don't like SW in general so I'm biased towards low values on this type of material.

There's a reason first run Star Wars pages sell for so much, and it's not just nostaglia. Most of that original art was and is in the possession of one guy, with a big ranch named after one of the main characters.

Interior pages from that original story are as rare as covers.

I don't think Lucas owns as much Star Wars comic art as you think. Back in the day, I had all of Chaykin's share from the books as well as the covers. Lucas never attempted to contact Howard or I to buy any of it.

MI

I know he and his people have made a concerted effort, when pages from the original trilogy stories have popped up to obtain them. That tells me they probably didn't automatically get them back at the beginning and that they started writing it into agreements lager as the they are in their modern agreements with artists and publishers.

That changed over time and it became a point (seeing the competition for the original trilogy story pages) to rectify the situation both retrospectively and from that point on.

I don't know when that decision was made, perhaps it came years subsequent to being published and returned to the artists.

Many years subsequent to the artists getting their work back.

MI

Infantino star wars first run pages sell 2500-4500 dollars from what ive seen. I know its an odd cover (only of the only conceptual covers on the run) but it still an Infantino US published first run cover. Very few of those in existence. I thought it would sell 28k, and i think thats still happening.

OK - well, I'm surprised by that, I would have valued it lower, but then I don't like SW in general so I'm biased towards low values on this type of material.

There's a reason first run Star Wars pages sell for so much, and it's not just nostaglia. Most of that original art was and is in the possession of one guy, with a big ranch named after one of the main characters.

Interior pages from that original story are as rare as covers.

I don't think Lucas owns as much Star Wars comic art as you think. Back in the day, I had all of Chaykin's share from the books as well as the covers. Lucas never attempted to contact Howard or I to buy any of it.

MI

I know he and his people have made a concerted effort, when pages from the original trilogy stories have popped up to obtain them. That tells me they probably didn't automatically get them back at the beginning and that they started writing it into agreements lager as the they are in their modern agreements with artists and publishers.

That changed over time and it became a point (seeing the competition for the original trilogy story pages) to rectify the situation both retrospectively and from that point on.

I don't know when that decision was made, perhaps it came years subsequent to being published and returned to the artists.

Many years subsequent to the artists getting their work back.

MI

Given what has popped up over time here and there that would make sense and given how they've bid to pick up certain pages from the original trilogy stories you can tell that they didn't have contracts getting the right to buy then like they have since.

Could you request a return/refund if you were the winner on that one? Regardless of the description (which I think is different than when it was first listed) it seems to me like the words "Produciton Art" should have been included in the title.

FF 267

Hopefully now that the Star Wars fanboys got all that Lucas OA discussion out of their system, we can return to the discussion about the other great art pieces in this auction ;)

I agree...there hasn't been anywhere near enough discussion of the Keown pieces. :baiting:

I will say, Mandel has the cover to 1. If that ones not in Lucas' archive I would bet there is a lot that isnt.

Him and Spielberg own a lot of comic art, and im sure he probably is one of the top collectors of his own comic art, but i dont think he has a majority of it from any era.

Well, I do know that Lucas owns all the art he wants to own that's been published in the last couple of decades for sure. If it's out there in the wild from that time period, it's because he passed on it.

He did pass on a fair amount that he had the potential rights to buy though. Of the couple dozen artists I've helped out it was a little more than 50/50. It seemed he had to like it and like it as the price it was being offered.

I imagine with the amount he has by now as SW merch has proliferated, he passes on more than he used to.

All I know for sure is that on the 5 or 6 paintings I looked into (all from late 80s early 90s) he bought them all at the source.

I'd bet his purchase percentage from the period when he started that policy through to the date of phantom menace was very high.

After that, so much SW product came out that I imagine even he couldn't be bothered to keep up with it all.

So I would imagine that 70s material is sometimes available sometimes not but highly prized, better 80s and 90s material is generally locked up at the ranch, and 1999 and up material much easier to come by.

Sound about right fellas? Keep in mind I'm not really talking about comic pages here, talking about OA to SW merch - toys, video games, yada yada.

And some artists, frankly, tried to milk it with their asking prices...one I remember seemed to be about 8 times the market for his work. That seemed to coincide with more pieces being passed on than before.

And some artists, frankly, tried to milk it with their asking prices...one I remember seemed to be about 8 times the market for his work. That seemed to coincide with more pieces being passed on than before.

Right; I'm sure George is used to that to. Hence the artist names the price but he might pass on it kind of structure. Read: 'get greedy with me and I'll just pass.'

The artist can do that, more power to him/her, but is he allowed to offer a lower price after George passes, or does George get first rights again when he lowers his price?

Malvin

The artist can do that, more power to him/her, but is he allowed to offer a lower price after George passes, or does George get first rights again when he lowers his price?

Malvin

In george's shoes if they offered me a lower price immediately after refusal all they would get from me is a middle finger!

The whole point of the structure is to keep the asking prices somewhat honest. If he accepts when prices are lowered, he sets a bad precedent for all future transactions with all future artists.

He probably wants them to get very healthy prices for contributing to his IP, but also needs a system to check their greed.

Malvin

In george's shoes if they offered me a lower price immediately after refusal all they would get from me is a middle finger!

The whole point of the structure is to keep the asking prices somewhat honest. If he accepts when prices are lowered, he sets a bad precedent for all future transactions with all future artists.

He probably wants them to get very healthy prices for contributing to his IP, but also needs a system to check their greed.

What I meant to say was, if he doesn't want to sell to George for whatever reason, is he allowed to offer it to him at a ridiculous price, then offer it later to the public at a more reasonable price? If he lowers does he still have to offer the new price to George first?

Malvin

What I meant to say was, if he doesn't want to sell to George for whatever reason, is he allowed to offer it to him at a ridiculous price, then offer it later to the public at a more reasonable price? If he lowers does he still have to offer the new price to George first?

Malvin

Good question, Malvin. I've discussed the SW agreements with a few artists I know and Lucas has evidently realised that he can be paying over market and if a piece was offered for silly money first time round and he passes, he gets his right of refusal again if the price is dropped.

There are also occasions where Lucas people have overlooked buying a SW piece which probably isn't all that surprising given the sheer volume coming out.

I will say, Mandel has the cover to 1. If that ones not in Lucas' archive I would bet there is a lot that isnt.

Him and Spielberg own a lot of comic art, and im sure he probably is one of the top collectors of his own comic art, but i dont think he has a majority of it from any era.

From what I have seen the Star Wars and Indiana Jones stuff from the 70s and 80's that Lucas bought was after the fact. I would say it was around the mid 90's that Lucas started poaching this stuff direct from the artists.

From what I have seen the Star Wars and Indiana Jones stuff from the 70s and 80's that Lucas bought was after the fact. I would say it was around the mid 90's that Lucas started poaching this stuff direct from the artists.

You know star wars better than I do but my guess is earlier.

I'm just going by the SW pieces I looked at (not many, ~5) as they were all late 80s early 90s and all nabbed by Lucas, and, as I mentioned, there was that Howard the Duck art bought direct in 1986.

Maybe he started in the 80s with more major pieces and then got more comprehensive about it and started to include more minor pieces in the mid 90s?

I.e. perhaps they were more informal Lucas to artist offers to start and then became part of the standard contracts later?

I really don't know but I do have several examples where he bought direct that predate your 1995 estimate so he must have purchased at least some items directly prior to that.