• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Trade do you use to convert newbies (preferably a GF or Wife)?

71 posts in this topic

I've just started dating a new lady friend, who's in love with tons of "fandom" related things, and has a decent knowledge of comic lore thanks to the Batman Animated Series, MCU, and Nolan's Batman Movies. However, she's expressed, much to my joy, a wanting to get into the books themselves as I have.

Generally when I would buy a gift for a sister or female friend I'd go with Spider-Man Blue by Loeb/Sale, unless they really liked Batman in which case I tended to go wtih Hush (Killing Joke or DK Returns always seemed a bit much for a first read.)

Any advice would be appreciated, feel free to throw out some books yourselves. It doesn't have to be the new Captain Marvel or Ms Marvel/Bat Girl, just because she's a girl either. I was thinking Hawkeye, or maybe even the Ultimates.

Mine enjoys:

Smallville - we watched the show all the time now she picks up the trades every once and a while

Saga

Thief of Thieves - big fan of that type of genre

Think Tank

Colder

Ya I've got a comic babe

Lucky man, I've got all those books, yet I doubt I could throw her straight into the world of Colder, unless I wanted to have a few serious talks after haha. We'll get there though. Saga's a great choice.

Really depends on their tastes, here are some moderns:

Invincible

Fables

Batman new 52

Batgirl new 52

Green Lantern (Geoff Johns complete run)

or

A Wrinkle in Time Graphic Novel

Persepolis

Planetary

Rising Stars

Invincible is an amazing idea, I actually used that on my little sister, and Snyder's Batman has pulled many a friend back into the fold.

GL do you mean starting w/ Rebirth? That might get a bit confusing no?

Really depends on their tastes, here are some moderns:

Invincible

Fables

Batman new 52

Batgirl new 52

Green Lantern (Geoff Johns complete run)

or

A Wrinkle in Time Graphic Novel

Persepolis

Planetary

Rising Stars

Invincible is an amazing idea, I actually used that on my little sister, and Snyder's Batman has pulled many a friend back into the fold.

GL do you mean starting w/ Rebirth? That might get a bit confusing no?

Can't miss with Invincible through TPB 20 and Batman new 52 1-40 is just tasty.

Rebirth could be a little confusing, but once you jump in and hit the stride I personally think his run is epic (but I am a huge GL fan and Geoff Johns fan - Blackest Night was the first modern series I collected every issue and tie-in). I don't think new readers get bogged down by continuity as much as we do, so it could be fine.

Don't rule out Planetary though - that is a solid read for anyone.

Give her Wet Moon vol 1 and 2

Something guaranteed for a woman to like to get her in the right frame of mind

My lady likes Invader Zim, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Fight Club 2, Lady Mechanika, A-force,(may not be tpb's yet) Winter Soldier/Captain America and anything Jean Grey/Phoenix related. Aaron's Thor run (marvel now run and jane foster thor), ALL the New 52 batman TPB's. *She loves JTHM and Squee, can't believe I forgot those. Killing joke is a great idea, Mad love if you want to introduce her to Harley Quinn, Dark Knight series, The Long Halloween.

There's a bonus to having a companion... a second set of eyes that can find and learn things you might not. I probably wouldn't have picked up the couple of copies of Spider Verse #2 if it wasn't for her telling me about it!

The BEST advice I can give is once she does get into them, pick her up a variant sometimes along with her normal pull and she'll just melt! :grin:

My lady has read & collected comics since the late 80s... she loves

Sandman, and the Endless in general incl Death

Preacher

Strangers in Paradise

Uncanny X-Men

Jem and the Holograms

Books of Magic

The Dreaming

Grendel

Bohos (Image)

From Hell

Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children

Fight club 2

Lenore

Feminist underground comix

I'm going with Invinicible (I have nearly all the trades) before moving into Snyder's Batman.

She's a trooper and will eventually want to read the classics, I just want to make sure we hook her good from the jump.

She bought the Avengers v.1 collected edition after MCU, and I told her I'd get her someting she could sink her teeth into.

Going to definitely get her into Vertigo stuff, all the good Image eventually. Just ifgured it might be easiest if we start with relatable cape and cowl.

What do you guys think about any Milllar? Particularly was thinking of his Marvel Knights Spidey.

My lady likes Invader Zim, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Fight Club 2, Lady Mechanika, A-force,(may not be tpb's yet) Winter Soldier/Captain America and anything Jean Grey/Phoenix related. Aaron's Thor run (marvel now run and jane foster thor), ALL the New 52 batman TPB's. *She loves JTHM and Squee, can't believe I forgot those. Killing joke is a great idea, Mad love if you want to introduce her to Harley Quinn, Dark Knight series, The Long Halloween.

There's a bonus to having a companion... a second set of eyes that can find and learn things you might not. I probably wouldn't have picked up the couple of copies of Spider Verse #2 if it wasn't for her telling me about it!

The BEST advice I can give is once she does get into them, pick her up a variant sometimes along with her normal pull and she'll just melt! :grin:

Thanks Mef, I really can't wait to wake up on Wednesdays, get some breakfast and head over together and grab some books.

Waiting for the day where she goes "hey you mean you HAVENT been readin this???"

I've just started dating a new lady friend, who's in love with tons of "fandom" related things, and has a decent knowledge of comic lore thanks to the Batman Animated Series, MCU, and Nolan's Batman Movies. However, she's expressed, much to my joy, a wanting to get into the books themselves as I have.

Generally when I would buy a gift for a sister or female friend I'd go with Spider-Man Blue by Loeb/Sale, unless they really liked Batman in which case I tended to go wtih Hush (Killing Joke or DK Returns always seemed a bit much for a first read.)

Any advice would be appreciated, feel free to throw out some books yourselves. It doesn't have to be the new Captain Marvel or Ms Marvel/Bat Girl, just because she's a girl either. I was thinking Hawkeye, or maybe even the Ultimates.

If she already tends to lean towards Batman I'd go with a classic Batman trade or gn. Usually I wouldn't recommend superheroes right off the bat to someone, but if superheroes is already what they like that's another story. Maybe Batman Black & White? The new Batgirl?

If she already tends to lean towards Batman I'd go with a classic Batman trade or gn. Usually I wouldn't recommend superheroes right off the bat to someone, but if superheroes is already what they like that's another story. Maybe Batman Black & White? The new Batgirl?

When I say she leans towards Batman, its hard to pinpoint if its the character itself or just the ideals he stands for and the aesthetic. She does have a stunning 3 inch Batarang necklance.

Would you suggest Black/White over say Hush (which has all the big names) or a Sale/Loeb special? I reckon its too early for Year One. I like the idea of New 52 becuase then she can buy books weekly with me.

Can anyone answer though why the TPB order is so wonky for Snyder's run?