• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarity of books that cannot be slabbed-New Fun, Master, Jumbo

40 posts in this topic

Awesome books! I have never seen the New York Worlds Fair Jumbo Comics before.

I have a low grade New Fun 6. Its actually for sale but have had little interest. The page quality has others have mentioned are often poor on these. I want to get it leaf casted, but sadly its cost prohibitive.

157692.jpg

157696.jpg

157698.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Love these books.....jb

(thumbs u (thumbs u

Also love seeing these ultra rare giant comic books!

Thanks for posting them all, gents. It's a a real treat to see these here.

Look twice everybody as there is little chance of ever seeing any of these in person!

:applause::headbang::applause:

What is the general consensus on the early golden age oversized comics that can't be slabbed and therefore aren't in the census? I'm referring to New Fun 1-6, Master 1-6, and Jumbo Comics 1-8. Has anyone tried compiling a list of what's out there or estimating just how scarce these books are?

Aren't there others? Like the Feature Books?

Altho oversized, Feature Books aren't as large as the other books discussed here. They can be slabbed and are in the census.

Awesome books! I have never seen the New York Worlds Fair Jumbo Comics before.

I have a low grade New Fun 6. Its actually for sale but have had little interest. The page quality has others have mentioned are often poor on these. I want to get it leaf casted, but sadly its cost prohibitive.

Keep the 6. It is so important in the ethos of Superman as the beginning of a developing character for Siegel and Shuster......Dr. Mystic/ Dr Occult/ etc

Maybe too esoteric for some. For me #6 is a great book. jb

Hey Jon;

Just wondering if your Master run is from a pedigree collection because they all appear to be quite nice for oversized books from that very early time period? :cloud9:

Not as far as I know. I have not pulled them out for a long time....so my recollection is at best faulty.......

First page of First Masterman Story of First page of #1

157703.jpg.e100196b7b320910ecd39f1d4b23cecd.jpg

I have liked the early books for a long time. They are oversized, they are exceptionally rare, and they are a critical part in the history of our hobby. These are the nicest examples I have ever seen. Congratulations to all!

I've actually held in my hot little hands a nice copy of The Big Book of Fun Comics!

I've never seen a copy - one of my grails.

These oversized books are so tough, let alone in even decent condition. I once passed on a Larson oversized Jumbo because it was too low grade for me (little did I know...).

RHG's Church copies of Jumbo 1-8 is one of the most impressive short runs I've ever seen.

I've actually held in my hot little hands a nice copy of The Big Book of Fun Comics!

If you'd ever accept one of my invitations to come to my house you would not only see one, you could even thumb through it.

:o

If you'd ever accept one of my invitations to come to my house you would not only see one, you could even thumb through it.

:o

(shrug) Peter's kids fan him with it when the wind blows in from the desert.

What is the general consensus on the early golden age oversized comics that can't be slabbed and therefore aren't in the census? I'm referring to New Fun 1-6, Master 1-6, and Jumbo Comics 1-8. Has anyone tried compiling a list of what's out there or estimating just how scarce these books are?

Aren't there others? Like the Feature Books?

Altho oversized, Feature Books aren't as large as the other books discussed here. They can be slabbed and are in the census.

I didn't realize the Feature Books could be slabbed. I guess they are a little smaller than Jumbo Comics.

20768732643_71762096ec_b.jpg

....not bad.....