• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious opinions from GA dealers and "big book" owners needed

32 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago, I met with Matt Nelson and left him my Tec 27 for resto evaluation. It's presently a 6.5 Extensive (P), with a "TRIMMED" designation because of a pretty significant right edge trim, about one-eighth of an inch of the cover and all wraps. Matt tells me he can restore the right edge material so that the book appears "whole", but that the "TRIMMED" designation would remain, and on re-grading the book should be a 6.5 A-5."TRIMMED". BUT, he's advising me to NOT have the restoration done. He says that if I simply have the book re-graded as is, it should come back 6.5 A-3 "TRIMMED" as a result of the work that's already been done on it. He thinks I'd be sacrificing a great deal of monetary value in the book, maybe $30 K, just for the aesthetic benefit of the book looking "complete" after the right edge restoration. I was thinking that the appearance of the book would be so improved by the right edge resto, it would trump the resto bump from A-3 to A-5. He disagrees on that point. What are your thoughts? Should I have the restoration done, or not? Thanks!

No.

In fact you should send the book immediately my way. :sumo: Restored books are worthless. Just ask a few boardies.

+1

Instead of tossing it in your recycle bin with your weekly trash, if you agree to pay for my airfare, I will personally come out to remove that POS from your property. lol

Seriously though, if you are planning to keep the book for yourself, I would most probably go ahead with the work since it appears this is the option that you seem to prefer for yourself and would keep you most happy. If you are planning to flip the book in the near future, I would listen to Matt and simply keep the book the way it is since it should give you a higher return in the end.

A couple of weeks ago, I met with Matt Nelson and left him my Tec 27 for resto evaluation. It's presently a 6.5 Extensive (P), with a "TRIMMED" designation because of a pretty significant right edge trim, about one-eighth of an inch of the cover and all wraps. Matt tells me he can restore the right edge material so that the book appears "whole", but that the "TRIMMED" designation would remain, and on re-grading the book should be a 6.5 A-5."TRIMMED". BUT, he's advising me to NOT have the restoration done. He says that if I simply have the book re-graded as is, it should come back 6.5 A-3 "TRIMMED" as a result of the work that's already been done on it. He thinks I'd be sacrificing a great deal of monetary value in the book, maybe $30 K, just for the aesthetic benefit of the book looking "complete" after the right edge restoration. I was thinking that the appearance of the book would be so improved by the right edge resto, it would trump the resto bump from A-3 to A-5. He disagrees on that point. What are your thoughts? Should I have the restoration done, or not? Thanks!

I would take Nelson's advice on something like this.

One other consideration: I imagine that for work this extensive to be completed, either by Nelson or by someone with similar skills, will take a very long time.

who is matt nelson?

+1

Third baseman for the Astros. Insists on using bats made from glued together toothpicks.

:facepalm:

He's suggesting that you not pay him several thousands of dollars. I'd listen.

who is matt nelson?

+1

I just Googled "who is Matt Nelson?", and it turns out he's the son of Ricky Nelson.

Who knew?

I'm a travelin' man, made a lot of stops at cons all over this world.

And at every stop, I pressed at least one lovely book.