• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time payments question? should I handled it differently? UPDATE!!

119 posts in this topic

In a few other threads I stated my position on my disposable income, using things like bill me later wisely, so this situation shouldn't be judged too harshly by others concerning what he should and should not buy

Keep in mind as it was pointed out in the thread I started about disposable income, the population here represent the some of the elite collectors of comics, and so spending 4, 5, and 6+ figures on comics happens, but that isn't happening everywhere and there are plenty of regular joes that don't care about 9.8s, signature series, etc. They maybe like a character and want a particular come featuring them, see a price and go "whoa $75 is a lot for this, but you know what, I think if I can work out a deal, I may just get this thing" Maybe this book is real important to him and before it wasn't obtainable but with time payments it was and now he can be happy having something he was able to get, in a reasonable way for him, finally.

If the buyer is responsible with his money then it should be okay and not looked down upon.

Now if he is reckless and shouldn't be buying this sort of thing, that is a different story.

In a few other threads I stated my position on my disposable income, using things like bill me later wisely, so this situation shouldn't be judged too harshly by others concerning what he should and should not buy

Keep in mind as it was pointed out in the thread I started about disposable income, the population here represent the some of the elite collectors of comics, and so spending 4, 5, and 6+ figures on comics happens, but that isn't happening everywhere and there are plenty of regular joes that don't care about 9.8s, signature series, etc. They maybe like a character and want a particular come featuring them, see a price and go "whoa $75 is a lot for this, but you know what, I think if I can work out a deal, I may just get this thing" Maybe this book is real important to him and before it wasn't obtainable but with time payments it was and now he can be happy having something he was able to get, in a reasonable way for him, finally.

If the buyer is responsible with his money then it should be okay and not looked down upon.

Now if he is reckless and shouldn't be buying this sort of thing, that is a different story.

Totally agree. Everything is relative.

I agree with that but he's been spending recklessly since we're on the same groups

Gabe,

If you want to be in business but don't have a natural knack for it or lack experience you should at the very minimum educate yourself on what is expected.

Oak is right...simple outlines (most of which are obvious -like stipulating to customers ahead of time what the rules are) that protect both you and the customer are pretty much a must.

If you continue to make simple mistakes your business will lose credibility quickly. Most people extrapolate their opinions and base their judgements on a business based on how it conducts itself and in a small hobby it doesn't take many mistakes for a business to lose credibility, whether you are honest or not.

Have you taken any business courses?

Pretty condescending advice it would seem

Gabe,

If you want to be in business but don't have a natural knack for it or lack experience you should at the very minimum educate yourself on what is expected.

Oak is right...simple outlines (most of which are obvious -like stipulating to customers ahead of time what the rules are) that protect both you and the customer are pretty much a must.

If you continue to make simple mistakes your business will lose credibility quickly. Most people extrapolate their opinions and base their judgements on a business based on how it conducts itself and in a small hobby it doesn't take many mistakes for a business to lose credibility, whether you are honest or not.

Roy does make good points even though it's a bit harsh because I do need to clearly state my terms before making such a offer the good thing is I can still turn this into a positive thing with this buyer :)

Gabe,

Roy does make good points even though it's a bit harsh because I do need to clearly state my terms before making such a offer the good thing is I can still turn this into a positive thing with this buyer :)

For $75, you're getting more of a headache than anything.

There's zero upside for you. Only potential sour grapes over such a small amount of money.

Gabe,

There's zero upside for you. Only potential sour grapes over such a small amount of money.

The one thing that really bothers me though is when he called me a thief :(

Gabe,

Being called a thief is uncalled for. However, as a seller you'll need to start growing some thick skin because any and every curve ball can be used.

Either way, in the future I would suggest that unless the purchase is greater than a set amount, let's say $500 or $1,000 there can be no time payments. Time payment should be used for large purchases and not for a $75 book. Ultimately it's not the $75 value, it's a risk/reward - if you are going to set up time payments for someone for $75 then there is a big risk that they will not be able to pay since their disposable income can not cover that amount.

As stated earlier, set your terms clearly up front - this way if someone claims it's robbery, you can always go back to your terms - when they agree to a sale, they also agree to those terms. One word of advice - don't change your terms at any time during the sale - if you come out losing, it's a lesson for the future.

Gabe,

Being called a thief is uncalled for. However, as a seller you'll need to start growing some thick skin because any and every curve ball can be used.

Either way, in the future I would suggest that unless the purchase is greater than a set amount, let's say $500 or $1,000 there can be no time payments. Time payment should be used for large purchases and not for a $75 book. Ultimately it's not the $75 value, it's a risk/reward - if you are going to set up time payments for someone for $75 then there is a big risk that they will not be able to pay since their disposable income can not cover that amount.

As stated earlier, set your terms clearly up front - this way if someone claims it's robbery, you can always go back to your terms - when they agree to a sale, they also agree to those terms. One word of advice - don't change your terms at any time during the sale - if you come out losing, it's a lesson for the future.

Thanks I've never seen you before but you offer great advice and yes I've not changed any of the terms because I'm firm on it :)

Gabe,

I didn't think anything Roy said was condescending and/or harsh at all. He got straight to the point, in a nice way. He made excellent points and all of them are things you need to consider if you want to keep this up.

Sorry about the headache on this deal. Nobody should be making time payments on a $75 book. Like you said, you'll learn from this one.

But, Oak and Roy are 100% correct. You need to pull back for a minute, get some stuff sorted out on your end. If you don't, you're going to end up in a real sticky situation.