• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know when "Marvel chipping" came to an end?

36 posts in this topic

Was wondering if anyone knew what precise month and year that Marvel chipping came to an end? I assume this coincided with Marvel finally changing to a sharper blade. My question stems from being a Spidey collector, and wanting to know what issue # this production flaw completely stopped at. Is it even possible to pinpoint? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Just my experience, but I think books with 1964 dates are much less prone to MC, but it wasn't extinct. It just seemed to not be as frequent at that point.

One book-Amazing Spider-Man #33-had a 1966 cover date and is notorious for MC. I'm sure there are other examples as well.

When Marvel switched from Eastern to World Color as their printer, many of the worst production defects were eliminated. This was sometime in 1966 and varied from title to title as to the dates of the actual switch. The printer will be listed in the indicia, so checking raw copies is the best bet. Someone with a full collection who has a little spare time could likely make a list.... I for one would love to see it. I'm not sure if GCD would have info like that, or another entity like them, but the data may already be available somewhere. This would not be the same as the "publisher".... Marvel's titles in the early 60's were sometimes attributed to different publishers due to Goodman's accounting practices even though they were all by Atlas/ Marvel. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I've often wondered if some of Marvel's books may have switched to World Color but still retained the Eastern attribution in the indicia.... possibly an oversight or something, as I've seen some issues that "feel" like WC copies but still say Eastern.

When Marvel switched from Eastern to World Color as their printer, many of the worst production defects were eliminated. This was sometime in 1966 and varied from title to title as to the dates of the actual switch. The printer will be listed in the indicia, so checking raw copies is the best bet. Someone with a full collection who has a little spare time could likely make a list.... I for one would love to see it. I'm not sure if GCD would have info like that, or another entity like them, but the data may already be available somewhere. This would not be the same as the "publisher".... Marvel's titles in the early 60's were sometimes attributed to different publishers due to Goodman's accounting practices even though they were all by Atlas/ Marvel. GOD BLESS...

P.S. I've often wondered if some of Marvel's books may have switched to World Color but still retained the Eastern attribution in the indicia.... possibly an oversight or something, as I've seen some issues that "feel" like WC copies but still say Eastern.

Good answer.

You can actually tell a difference in the books by the look and feel of the book. The inks and paper changed and the books are entirely different.

I assume this is because of publisher change.

For example, ASM #66 came out in 11/68 but it feels completely different than the books from the mid 1960's. And the ASM books from this era rarely exhibit Marvel chipping, overhang issues, ink transfer issues, staple tears, etc, the way the mid 60's books do.

Meanwhile, I believe a book like Iron Man #1 from 5/68 (as well as the other 1968, new title start up books) still had the look and feel of the mid 60's Marvels including many of the production defects even though it was being printed before ASM #66. The book does have overhang issues, pre-chips and ink transfer issues and the book also feels more like the early 1960's books than it does late 1960's books.

I could be wrong but I believe these two books were not published on the same assembly line.

Now Marvel pre chips do appear on later books (as well as DC's of different eras - for example, they were also common on some early 1960's DCs as well) but they are not as common. They probably resulted from having a dull cutting blade once in a while.

ASM #300 is a classic example of a rough right edge on a modern book.

Good answer.

You can actually tell a difference in the books by the look and feel of the book. The inks and paper changed and the books are entirely different.

I assume this is because of publisher change.

For example, ASM #66 came out in 11/68 but it feels completely different than the books from the mid 1960's. And the ASM books from this era rarely exhibit Marvel chipping, overhang issues, ink transfer issues, staple tears, etc, the way the mid 60's books do.

Meanwhile, I believe a book like Iron Man #1 from 5/68 (as well as the other 1968, new title start up books) still had the look and feel of the mid 60's Marvels including many of the production defects even though it was being printed before ASM #66. The book does have overhang issues, pre-chips and ink transfer issues and the book also feels more like the early 1960's books than it does late 1960's books.

I could be wrong but I believe these two books were not published on the same assembly line.

Now Marvel pre chips do appear on later books (as well as DC's of different eras - for example, they were also common on some early 1960's DCs as well) but they are not as common. They probably resulted from having a dull cutting blade once in a while.

ASM #300 is a classic example of a rough right edge on a modern book.

Wow, great info!! So basically all Marvel titles printed pre-1966 have higher potential for chipping or pre-chipping due to Eastern printing. Were certain Marvel titles more susceptible to this defect from Eastern, or did they all have the same likelihood of chipping?

Wasn't the cover stock noticeably thinner on late 60s Marvels?

I don't know if thinner is the right word. They used a better quality paper when they switched publishers. The paper seemed to cut better and hold up to handling better. It had a 'stronger' feel to it (I'm talking about the covers now).

At some point in the bronze age the cover paper for Marvels went super thin. By the mid 1970's it felt like tissue paper. lol

Wow, great info!! So basically all Marvel titles printed pre-1966 have higher potential for chipping or pre-chipping due to Eastern printing. Were certain Marvel titles more susceptible to this defect from Eastern, or did they all have the same likelihood of chipping?

I think all titles were susceptible as long as they were printed the 'old way', meaning using poor quality paper and ink. It all depends on where the book was printed and the paper and ink quality used.

At some point all titles transitioned out of the 'old way'.

And once you feel and see the difference in hand, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

This is a great thread. A similar one for SA DC books would be cool, too. Especially how DC's use of different pulp stock changed with relative frequency during the '56 to '69 period. Did DC use different printers during this period?

Just my experience, but I think books with 1964 dates are much less prone to MC, but it wasn't extinct. It just seemed to not be as frequent at that point.

One book-Amazing Spider-Man #33-had a 1966 cover date and is notorious for MC. I'm sure there are other examples as well.

Thanks for the example! I remember this being a warehouse find issue but didn't realize it was notorious for the chipping defect.

From what I've seen in the past 20+ years, ASM 7 (Dec 1963 publishing date) was the last book in the run to have chipping. I don't recall seeing many Spidey books from #8 on (or any 1964 and on Marvels) with chipping. Same for FF as issue 20 (Nov 63) seems to be the last of the chipped issues in that run. Hulk 1-6 all have chipping. So, 1961-1963 seem to be the "chipping" era. :)

From what I've seen in the past 20+ years, ASM 7 (Dec 1963 publishing date) was the last book in the run to have chipping. I don't recall seeing many Spidey books from #8 on (or any 1964 and on Marvels) with chipping. Same for FF as issue 20 (Nov 63) seems to be the last of the chipped issues in that run. Hulk 1-6 all have chipping. So, 1961-1963 seem to be the "chipping" era. :)

Excellent info! (thumbs u

"Marvel chipping" coming to an end?

For front covers: I believe Marvel Chipping begins near the top of the right edge, and ends near the bottom of the right edge. I do not think it can continue below the bottom of the edge, because there is no paper there to be chipped.

"Marvel chipping" coming to an end?

For front covers: I believe Marvel Chipping begins near the top of the right edge, and ends near the bottom of the right edge. I do not think it can continue below the bottom of the edge, because there is no paper there to be chipped.

Was referring to the time period (month/year) when Marvel chipping ended.

With very few exceptions-like the ASM 33-I completely agree with this statement. For whatever reason, the "Dec. 1963" issues seem to be the point of departure for MC. JIM 99, ST 115, and TOS 48 would fit this scenario as well.

I was just looking at ASM 33's on ebay, and it seems that about 25% or so have traditional chipping or pre-chipping tears. Just a one-off issue that has the defect, as I can't recall any other 2/66 books being prone to it. Perhaps a blade that needed changed was used at the time?

Marvel Chipping isnt always a Marvel phenomena as some have noted. For anyone interested in specifics, i have seen 1954-55 ECs w "Chipping". Again this is when they went to thin paper which has way different feel than the earlier books. For some reason Mexican published Marvels had amazing paper during most of 50-60s, it it thick and can often be white to this day even if cover is in taters. They switched to thin paper around 1969 and as you can guess they dont feel anything alike or hold up to reading well.