• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2016 -- It's still Never too Early, October 6-9

351 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to bring my son to NYC for the con this year. Are tickets difficult to get? Will there be an online sale? Thanks in advance for any help

They can be difficult to get. After sales were completed online, the only way to get them was to physically visit one MIDTOWN COMICS location (in NYC) selling all the tickets last year. The year before that, all three MIDTOWN COMICS locations were selling tickets. Tickets were also sold through the SPECIAL EDITION: NYC convention but they canceled this year's con to expand the NYCC.

Your best bet is to visit a smaller show that way you and your kid can have a good time without the crazy ticket and food prices. Boston Comic Con is a great show in an awesome town.

Thanks for the insight. So at some point they will be for sale online? He started working about 6 months ago and has saved his money to go to NY and see a Jets game so I'm hoping they are home that weekend and we can do the Con as well. It's NY or nothing.

If that's the case, you may have a better chance going on a one day pass rather than a 4 day pass. You both save money and it allows you to use that cash on the con floor. It's a big experience since they go all out as do the exhibitors. If you can't score tickets online or at Midtown Comics, there's always Ebay.

If you end up going, I highly recommend comfy sneakers, backpack, bottled water, beef jerky, a premade sandwich, granola,some Emergen-C and a working camera. Although they started adding food trucks to the con, the lines can be just as long as the ones at the Marvel booth and the prices can be high. The foodcourt in the basement really pricey as well and full of cosplayers.

If you're able to go, you'll both be beat but it's a fun atmosphere with freebies, glimpses of new toys, comics and statues coming out in the new year and tons of cosplayers. I love it. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips Jason!! I think we will try and do Friday or Saturday at the con.

It's great if it makes easier for fans, and harder for scalpers, to get tickets. Otoh, I would hate to see them foreclose buying tickets from third parties if you get shut out of the online buying.

I'm not really sure I understand from the e-mail exactly how the new process will work.

Guys, long time SDCC goer (24th year coming up) plus I live in Seattle so I go to ECCC every year and for a few years went to WonderCon and the old Chicago Con.

Never even been to NY. But I am tempted with this show. A few questions. How does it compare to SDCC? What is the surrounding area like for a newbie vacationer like myself? Will I get a good taste of the city within walking distance of the con? What are the rates on hotels for this con? Is finding a room difficult like in San Diego or are rooms abundant? Are the hotels located nearby or are people commuting to the show? Also, do tickets sell out immediately like they do at SDCC? Just weighing the pros and cons of going before deciding. Thanks! Any helpful tips would be appreciated. Like I said I know the con circuit well but having never even been to the state I have no idea what to expect for this show.

Guys, long time SDCC goer (24th year coming up) plus I live in Seattle so I go to ECCC every year and for a few years went to WonderCon and the old Chicago Con.

Never even been to NY. But I am tempted with this show. A few questions. How does it compare to SDCC? What is the surrounding area like for a newbie vacationer like myself? Will I get a good taste of the city within walking distance of the con? What are the rates on hotels for this con? Is finding a room difficult like in San Diego or are rooms abundant? Are the hotels located nearby or are people commuting to the show? Also, do tickets sell out immediately like they do at SDCC? Just weighing the pros and cons of going before deciding. Thanks! Any helpful tips would be appreciated. Like I said I know the con circuit well but having never even been to the state I have no idea what to expect for this show.

I think attendance wise NYCC is bigger, but SDCC is more well known for he panels that they have. When the con is in town you would never even know it unless you are at the convention itself. There are a lot of tourist things within walking distance with time square being a couple blocks away and a lot of other things a couple of blocks after that. Multi pass tickets and Friday and Saturday tickets normally sell quick, but Thursday and Sunday tickets can normally be had for a while. I could not tell you about hotels because I am across the river in New Jersey, so maybe someone else could help you with that.

I'm from NYC and I will say that SDCC is still the largest and greatest comic show in the world. However, NYC itself is the greatest city in the world so show up for the convention and stay to see the city.

SDCC convention space is 4x larger than NY's Javits Convention Center. Since San Diego is close to Los Angeles, Hollywood stars attend to plug their movies. NYCC gets stars from TV shows. lol.

Still good guests but not the same.

It sounds like NYCC will begin a new ticketing system that will mirror SDCC. Getting tickets for both shows is like hitting the lottery. Each year gets worse.

On the positive side, NY has plenty of hotels in Manhattan. The convention is a blip and most NYers don't even know it's going on. SDCC runs out of hotel rooms and travelling from out of town is a hassle because you also run out of parking spots.

You'll have fun at either show.

My 2 cents.

Hopefully, I won't get shut out from my hometown show. :o

If anyone has an extra dealer / exhibitor badge for sale, PM me.

Cheers!

N.

This is my "home" con, I'm a lifer, been to every nycc (already have my 2016 tickets).

NYC is massive, the convention center is out next to the river, a bit of a walk from the rest of the area (they finally last year got a subway near by but it's not great). Not sure what touristy things you want to do but NBC and the empire state building are "near by". However you won't get a taste of the city. You'd need a month for that, unless we're just talking about Manhattan then I guess a week is enough. Hotels are very expensive (assume 250-500 a night depending on location, though natives know where the best deals are). Hotel rooms fill up fast and are expensive near by (times square) there is nothing closer hotel wise that is less than a 10+ minute walk. You have to commute. My personal advice, unless you have your heart set on staying in NYC, stay at the courtyard Marriott in Jersey city (Newport). It's right next to the path station. You take that (5.50 round trip) and it takes you to Penn station. Walk a block, take the subway to the javits (5.50 round trip) and you're there. The subway and path run 24/7 so no worry about not being able to catch it. Much cheaper hotel and save the NYC hotel tax. Lots of good restaurants and a mall right there too, no sales tax on clothing (if you're bringing the wife). I live 1 town over and do the same thing to get there.

Panels are a nightmare now, expect to be camping out for the more popular ones, plus they've started breaking up the event (last year some panels were held in Madison square garden, and other off site locations, making it impossible to schedule back to back panels) tickets sell out insanely fast. (I think it took 23 minutes last year)

So guys quick question i filled out my fan verification and if I'm reading it correct it says a maximum of 4 ticket types will be allowed for purchase. so if i want to buy a 3 day ticket for myself and my fiancé does she need to be verified and try to purchase her own or am i able to purchase two 3 day tickets for her and me through my account ?

Hi Everyone,

Is there any CGC personnel planning to attend later this year and will be taking submissions for signatures? I know it's super early but I wanted to get a head start and get everything organized. I've got some comics that I'm looking to have signed by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti and possible others. PM me so that I know who to work with. Thanks!