• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2016 -- It's still Never too Early, October 6-9

351 posts in this topic

...and if not assigned to a profile the tickets are cancelled and payment is returned. Soooo the scalpers get their money back, not much of a gamble for them. (shrug)

Not saying the new system is a good system. I will be verifying all my tickets, if I can not use some, I have friends who will. Not going to sell them to strangers.

I think some sort of checking of IDs at the door is probably going to be necessary for this system to work. Otherwise I could see scalpers setting up a bunch of phony IDs (or using those of family and friends), "verifying" those names, and then selling the tickets.

Unless they intend to check IDs, it looks as if scalpers will be able to game the system.

I wonder how StubHub handles this type of thing? Can ReedPop give them a head's up that there is no way resales can be legit?

They are already gaming the system. The bought extra tickets, and are requesting fan verification information to complete the sale. Guess you can be sure that it goes to somebody that tried to buy tickets at least? I guess if they do not get a sale, the tickets will revert to NYCC and be sold off again, but no info exists on the sale of those freed up tickets. If they start checking many id's, that line is going to come to a crawl.

...and if not assigned to a profile the tickets are cancelled and payment is returned. Soooo the scalpers get their money back, not much of a gamble for them. (shrug)

Not saying the new system is a good system. I will be verifying all my tickets, if I can not use some, I have friends who will. Not going to sell them to strangers.

I think some sort of checking of IDs at the door is probably going to be necessary for this system to work. Otherwise I could see scalpers setting up a bunch of phony IDs (or using those of family and friends), "verifying" those names, and then selling the tickets.

Unless they intend to check IDs, it looks as if scalpers will be able to game the system.

I wonder how StubHub handles this type of thing? Can ReedPop give them a head's up that there is no way resales can be legit?

They are already gaming the system. The bought extra tickets, and are requesting fan verification information to complete the sale. Guess you can be sure that it goes to somebody that tried to buy tickets at least? I guess if they do not get a sale, the tickets will revert to NYCC and be sold off again, but no info exists on the sale of those freed up tickets. If they start checking many id's, that line is going to come to a crawl.

Right, checking IDs would rule out people who were never fan verified but who bought a ticket a scalper had assigned to a friend/family member/fake ID.

You are right that checking all IDs would make entry a nightmare. Possible, I suppose, that they could spot check. Although for that to be a deterrent to scalping, they would probably need to announce it, which they haven't done, so far as I know.

Be interesting to see if they do get a substantial number of tickets going unsold and end up reopening ticket buying. Or maybe they would sell them off through Midtown or something.

Misc ......

Individual day tickets for Thursday, Friday, and Sunday are still available as of 45 minutes ago.

News reports coming out of the Bronx indicate some dude committed suicide after multi day passes sold out. :o

No ticket allocation to Midtown Comics this year.

Aside from pre-registration, confirmed buyers need to do post-registration. Every ticket needs to be assigned to a pre-registered e-mail. Confused? Welcome to the club. You thought SDCC was bad ....

Cheers!

N.

Just read on their website no handcarts, ect. would be permitted in the exhibition hall.

Anyone know anything about this?

It's always been that way on the show floor. They aren't as restrictive in Artist Alley but if they do start, just use the coat check in the atrium.

I am curious if the fan verification ends up cutting attendance a little bit. I did not expect all the one day passes to be gone by end of day one, but the people very excited for the con were all clicking that link at 12 PM today. So how many people that are verified have not purchased some kind of ticket already? All of those people wanted the multi day, when some could not get them they adapted. How many verified people have not purchased something at this point? If those do not sell, will they eventually open up those few remaining tickets to non registered people?

"Each Fan has the opportunity to purchase a maximum of four (4) Tickets per type and twelve (12) Tickets in total."

What fan buys 12 tickets unless he's hocking them on Ebay?

I'm just happy I was able to finally get the tickets I got.

My other question I have is if NYCC doesn't let people fan verify after they buy tickets, all the 3 day and 4 day tickets that might end up back to NYCC and people, like me, had to buy a Friday, Saturday and Sunday could have save almost half the price by buying a 3 day ticket....

Oh and I never thought about this but does this tell me that SDCC doesn't check ID's?

SDCC%20tix_zpsooz082xg.jpg

According to the info that came along with the 2016 SDCC passes, they do random checks as people are entering to make sure the ID matches the pass. To what extent do they do this and if those using a ticket they did not officially register for can avoid these random checks, I don't know. Then there is always the excuse "I grabbed my money and left my wallet at home" as a way to not match up pass with ID. However, anyone buying one of these passes is taking a risk as who knows, maybe the random checks will be strict, maybe not, but we'll see in a few weeks.

So that's why it fan verification doesn't stop anyone getting the tickets for NYCC if SDCC can't enforce their own policy. It will be interesting to see what happens.

We don't know yet how well SDCC will enforce their policies for this new ticketing system, but I'm sure you'll hear all about it in three weeks.

I do pay attention to this, because I go to SDCC every year and fear the year I'm unable to buy passes. If or when that happens I may have a need to be devious myself. Hoping to make it next year to NY!

I thought that bug on the screen was real!

My son screwed up his fan registration. When they texted him his fan verification number, he either entered it wrong or forgot to hit send. So, he never got the email allowing him to purchase a ticket. I assumed he was verified and purchased a ticket for him for Saturday, the day he wanted to go, with my account but I can't register his ticket because his email address is not verified.

Does anyone have a verified email address I can use to register his ticket? If you do, send me a private message.

Just to double check. When I fill out the information for each ticket for verification, if I hit submit and the information is posted with no errors, I am good to go? I also resent the receipt to me e-mail after entering, but it looks the same as the initial one. I do not see any error messages in any fields however.

My son screwed up his fan registration. When they texted him his fan verification number, he either entered it wrong or forgot to hit send. So, he never got the email allowing him to purchase a ticket. I assumed he was verified and purchased a ticket for him for Saturday, the day he wanted to go, with my account but I can't register his ticket because his email address is not verified.

Does anyone have a verified email address I can use to register his ticket? If you do, send me a private message.

So was he ever verified? His profile is associated with the email address used to setup the verification.. so I dont think you can just use someone else's email.. all details would have to match no?

Just to double check. When I fill out the information for each ticket for verification, if I hit submit and the information is posted with no errors, I am good to go? I also resent the receipt to me e-mail after entering, but it looks the same as the initial one. I do not see any error messages in any fields however.

I just assigned my tickets and did the same as you.. just hit submit. What was weird though, afterwards I received an email reminding me to assign my tickets before its too late :( ...followed the link in that email and everything seemed okay sooo (shrug)

So was he ever verified? His profile is associated with the email address used to setup the verification.. so I dont think you can just use someone else's email.. all details would have to match no?

I just assigned my tickets and did the same as you.. just hit submit. What was weird though, afterwards I received an email reminding me to assign my tickets before its too late :( ...followed the link in that email and everything seemed okay sooo (shrug)

Same here. When I resent my receipt it looked exactly the same, and contained all the same information on how to finish verifying. That is what got me slightly unnerved. SO since we both got the same non-response and no errors we are good.

No, he was never verified because the text message he received with the verification number was either never sent by him or he typed in the wrong number or there was some screw-up by Reed pop. When I try to assign the Saturday ticket I bought for him to his email, I receive a message that the email address I am entering [his email address] is not verified.

If someone only purchased a ticket for Thursday, Friday or Sunday but didn't buy a ticket for Saturday, their verified email address could be used for the Saturday ticket verification.

Same here. When I resent my receipt it looked exactly the same, and contained all the same information on how to finish verifying. That is what got me slightly unnerved. SO since we both got the same non-response and no errors we are good.

So it seems as if they aren't sending any confirmation that you have properly linked people to tickets other than not sending you another e-mail reminding you to link people.

At least, I think that's what's going on.

So it seems as if they aren't sending any confirmation that you have properly linked people to tickets other than not sending you another e-mail reminding you to link people.

At least, I think that's what's going on.

Yeah looks like if you do it right it just links it after you hit submit, no confirmation. If it is not verified you get an error message. I did confirm this by misspelling an email account name and it instantly returned an error message.