• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC!!

65 posts in this topic

An Action #1 in CGC 6.5 EP with three sides trimmed sold for over $150k today!

WOW, just wow :o

And from what I heard it was well over $150k. I was rather surprised as well.

Would this be the highest price ever paid for a restored book? hm (thumbs u

An Action Comics #1 CGC 8.0 (A-4) sold for $167,300 via Heritage in August 2014.

LINK

For a trimmed one? Probably.

I am so stoked because tomorrow I finally pick up my copy of WytchesDeath WorldEnd III, gold foil variant with the silver hologram!

Going to get it signed by both Gormley Gundergurger and Edna P. Figglebiggle, Jr. :banana:

Life is good, my friends! :whee:

Can you believe it? The guy right in front of me in line scored the last copy! :cry:

And Edna, Jr. was a no-show! :cry::cry: Maybe she was off tending to little Edna, III. hm

At any rate, I did score some consolation prizes. Nothing earth shattering, but helped make it a fun show.

Always up for a Hitler cover.

219d36d5-1b44-4f9d-82af-de93a29e8a0f_zpso7n5eerl.jpg

Been looking for a nice copy of this issue--which this one would be but for the dust shadow. :cry:

d0ea1e98-e927-493e-86f3-40fe2e2c4c8b_zps5fmg5yir.jpg

Arguably, a tougher issue to find in decent shape than issue 4--although not quite as cool a cover.

6026eeaa-7d7d-48de-9fe6-1f8b8199247f_zpsodxxpjwh.jpg

I think this is an underappreciated book. I really love the cover. :cloud9:

2c670716-695b-4b13-84c8-9cae74178af2_zpsyvodgvq6.jpg

Wish I had snagged this one in the Heritage auction last year where I thought it went low. Would have saved myself some dough. doh!

6a1f503a-80b6-4ba4-adb4-4ec8732f0443_zpsfichkgyk.jpg

Movie hype, baby! :D

5652c41b-da36-45fc-81e9-ca1b68fb5cc8_zpsjgiuyccg.jpg

Finally landed a decent copy of this one. Not that they are all that scarce.

fc03ccc4-3c6d-4270-9bcf-9d888b5203dc_zpskn9uojmc.jpg

And who can pass up the Biggest Comic Value in the World? :D

a4a05432-4c6c-466d-8ac5-8f38f1fc715f_zpsy4aai38u.jpg

When the music stops....This is gonna be disorderly

Yes, but they are talking about NM98s, not Action 1s.

Some of these kids have never seen a bear market in comic books

This bull has been riding since 2000

I think it depends on what bulls and bears you're talking about, because the hobby hasn't been uniformly doing anything in the CGC era. For example, there are plenty of people who bought books ten years ago (best of the best bronze/copper keys in high grade) that have been under water by 50-75% or more for the better part of those ten years. That's pretty damn bearish.

A few books at the HA display. Probably more clearly seen on their site! :D

IMG_0064_zpsjmmmtidt.jpg

IMG_0065_zpskinnbjeb.jpg

IMG_0068_zpszysj6je8.jpg

I'm not a big OA guy, but I thought this statement by Neal Adams posted near the GL 76 cover was interesting. If you can't read it on my photo, basically it states that Neal Adams will receive a cut of the auction price and will not dispute ownership of the art. Is that a significant issue with OA? Are buyers often worried that an artist (or his family) might dispute ownership? Or is there some back story about this particular cover art? hm

IMG_0067_zpsumguk1jd.jpg

When the music stops....This is gonna be disorderly

Yes, but they are talking about NM98s, not Action 1s.

Some of these kids have never seen a bear market in comic books

This bull has been riding since 2000

I think it depends on what bulls and bears you're talking about, because the hobby hasn't been uniformly doing anything in the CGC era. For example, there are plenty of people who bought books ten years ago (best of the best bronze/copper keys in high grade) that have been under water by 50-75% or more for the better part of those ten years. That's pretty damn bearish.

Fair nuff. Guess I was some what over-generalizing.

Nevertheless, most comic books generally have been up these last 15 years

I agree some books are way off from the 2005 high but pretty much most (not all) books are up since the year 2000

I'm not a big OA guy, but I thought this statement by Neal Adams posted near the GL 76 cover was interesting. If you can't read it on my photo, basically it states that Neal Adams will receive a cut of the auction price and will not dispute ownership of the art. Is that a significant issue with OA? Are buyers often worried that an artist (or his family) might dispute ownership? Or is there some back story about this particular cover art? hm

I read the language in the notice over the weekend and it caught my eye, reminding me of the Al Plastino claim on the JFK OA page. Personal property law is pretty clear, that if the artist transferred title to the OA page decades ago for a pittance and today the work ends up being quite valuable, that's too bad. In this case, my guess is that the owner of that GL 76 cover contacted Adams to help market the cover (and give him a cut in exchange for representing that Adams will never question ownership over the work -- not that it legally changes anything, because the Adams notice already refers to the seller as the "proprietor" of the cover). But I'm speculating. (shrug)

I am so stoked because tomorrow I finally pick up my copy of WytchesDeath WorldEnd III, gold foil variant with the silver hologram!

Going to get it signed by both Gormley Gundergurger and Edna P. Figglebiggle, Jr. :banana:

Life is good, my friends! :whee:

Can you believe it? The guy right in front of me in line scored the last copy! :cry:

And Edna, Jr. was a no-show! :cry::cry: Maybe she was off tending to little Edna, III. hm

At any rate, I did score some consolation prizes. Nothing earth shattering, but helped make it a fun show.

Always up for a Hitler cover.

219d36d5-1b44-4f9d-82af-de93a29e8a0f_zpso7n5eerl.jpg

Been looking for a nice copy of this issue--which this one would be but for the dust shadow. :cry:

d0ea1e98-e927-493e-86f3-40fe2e2c4c8b_zps5fmg5yir.jpg

Arguably, a tougher issue to find in decent shape than issue 4--although not quite as cool a cover.

6026eeaa-7d7d-48de-9fe6-1f8b8199247f_zpsodxxpjwh.jpg

I think this is an underappreciated book. I really love the cover. :cloud9:

2c670716-695b-4b13-84c8-9cae74178af2_zpsyvodgvq6.jpg

Wish I had snagged this one in the Heritage auction last year where I thought it went low. Would have saved myself some dough. doh!

6a1f503a-80b6-4ba4-adb4-4ec8732f0443_zpsfichkgyk.jpg

Move hype, baby! :D

5652c41b-da36-45fc-81e9-ca1b68fb5cc8_zpsjgiuyccg.jpg

Finally landed a decent copy of this one. Not that they are all that scarce.

fc03ccc4-3c6d-4270-9bcf-9d888b5203dc_zpskn9uojmc.jpg

And who can pass up the Biggest Comic Value in the World? :D

a4a05432-4c6c-466d-8ac5-8f38f1fc715f_zpsy4aai38u.jpg

:applause: WOW that is quite the show!!! Love em ALL!!!!! (thumbs u