• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with Stan Lee?

85 posts in this topic

I haven't had him signed my books in two years.

I decided to see what's up with him this year and noticed that he has not attending the shows as much as he used to be.

Checked with Desert Wind Comics' website to see if they are still working with Stan Lee. The page shows unavailable for Stan Lee Signature submission. I suspected they are not working with CGC anymore.

NY Comics still works with him. I think Stan Lee is currently signing books privately.

Just tell me what's up with him.

Stan Lee just attended the Edmonton Expo and Comic Con in late Sept 2015.

He is still signing, but it is done via his own private method. He has his own handlers.

A signature on an item is "authenticated" with a sticker.

here is an example:

MDS00158_zpsb1ilqevz.jpg

At the Edmonton Expo, you could still work with Stan's handlers to have items sent to CGC for grading if you wanted.

I do not know the cost to do so.

The sticker was also optional, and if you chose to get it it was an additional $5.00

What about Comikaze?

Will he be doing public signing at his own con?

Last year he wasn't feeling very well there (think he cancelled a later appearance there), and his eyes are going. Didn't he also bow out of SDCC? (that was 2014, nevermind) Does Anastasia's still do his signings out west?

Can't blame him for backing off on events and slowing down his schedule.

At one point the signing has to stop, no ? He is advanced in years and might not want to or be able to attend shows.

Would it shock you if Stan has been signing blank " covers" in his spare time and long after he is gone, his estate will be releasing 'new" limited edition signed prints? I have a lithograph signed by one of the creators of Bugs Bunny that features Bugs in a 1998 Yankee uniform saluting the teams 125 wins. The guy died years before that, but it has a WB COA.. Dali left behind thousands of signed sheets.

Think of the possibility. Its 2025, Stan is long gone but you can purchase a brand new litho by that years hottest artist, featuring the hottest new character, with an authentic Stan lee signature. What's not to love?

Think of the possibility. Its 2025, Stan is long gone but you can purchase a brand new litho by that years hottest artist, featuring the hottest new character, with an authentic Stan lee signature. What's not to love?

This would be beyond stupid.

Nothing is beyond stupid when it comes to comics and speculators based upon some of the :screwy: prices being fetched nowadays. hm

Nothing is beyond stupid when it comes to comics and speculators based upon some of the :screwy: prices being fetched nowadays. hm

Amen.

I have a lithograph signed by one of the creators of Bugs Bunny that features Bugs in a 1998 Yankee uniform saluting the teams 125 wins. The guy died years before that, but it has a WB COA.

That doesn't mean the signature is real. If it's a Tex Avery or Bob Clampett sig, it's a lithographed sig. The WB COA just signifies it's an official WB limited edition. I don't remember any sports pieces with Avery's sig so I'm thinking it's a Clampett piece you're talking about. WB never released anything with Ben Hardaway's name on it and if it was a Chuck Jones piece then the sig is real anyway since he didn't pass away until 2002.

He's like 93 years old right?

His birthday is December 28, 1922. My grandfather was ten years old when he was born. It's amazing that Stan is still kicking around after my grandfather passed away 27 years ago. Time flies by. I believe Stan can extend 10 more years of his life.

I always get a kick out of selling books at shows he's signing at. All the keys sell really well, but there are also people that buy books out of my $1 bins to get a $100 autograph on....

And I do believe he probably signs a couple hundred blank cover comics a day. His estate will release them a little at a time, or sell them over the home shopping network after his passing.

Aesthetically, Stan Lee's signature looks terrible on books. He uses a giant thick marker that ends up looking like a mess and hides way too much of the cover.

I have had Stan use an extra fine tip marker and it looks very neat, unfortunately not many people ask him to use their marker.

I have a lithograph signed by one of the creators of Bugs Bunny that features Bugs in a 1998 Yankee uniform saluting the teams 125 wins. The guy died years before that, but it has a WB COA.

That doesn't mean the signature is real. If it's a Tex Avery or Bob Clampett sig, it's a lithographed sig. The WB COA just signifies it's an official WB limited edition. I don't remember any sports pieces with Avery's sig so I'm thinking it's a Clampett piece you're talking about. WB never released anything with Ben Hardaway's name on it and if it was a Chuck Jones piece then the sig is real anyway since he didn't pass away until 2002.

It's signed by both of the Mckimson Brothers.