• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,481 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2024 at 2:49 AM, fifties said:

LOL, I didn't post the most brutal panels in that book.  And the U/G cost me big time, so you're not alone.

There's a thread somewhere in here with those panels. It's how I found out about the book.

Glad you offered up your under copy for such a great price and really happy for the purchaser! Are you going to share your upgrade here?

On 6/6/2024 at 10:05 AM, Robot Man said:

I have collected literally thousands of pre code crime and horror books over the years. And to me that might be the sickest story I’ve ever run across. So much so, I actually sold my copy a few years ago. 

EC was in competition with "Foul Play" and "October Game". 

Bradbury, after becoming a father to two daughters, regretted writing October Game.

On 6/5/2024 at 10:27 PM, Frisco Larson said:

WOW, I just went and looked at the copy you mentioned. I paid about 11x that amount for the one I posted!!! I also saw a splash page from it and yeah, that's brutal. Thank you again for calling my attention to it!!!  (thumbsu

Hi Frisco, Where can I find pics or read it? 

On 6/6/2024 at 9:43 AM, adamstrange said:

EC was in competition with "Foul Play" and "October Game". 

Bradbury, after becoming a father to two daughters, regretted writing October Game.

“Foul Play” never really bothered me much. Perhaps it was Davis’ style or the absurdity of the story its self. I will have to re-read “October Game” again as it does not stand out to me.

Of all the pre-code horror stories I have read, “Carrion Death” in SS #9 is still a standout. I received a small pile of my uncle’s ECs as a young kid. My first exposure to them. The last couple of panels gave me nightmares. I have never forgotton it.

There was some shame in creating these stories. Graham Ingals retired to FL and wanted nothing to do with his work after that.

This book starts with a very grim cover and goes down rapidly after that. I draw the line at hurting children and animals. I don’t judge anyone. I just don’t want a copy of that one in my collection. 

I've got no issues with transgressive art but have become at least a little more sympathetic to the idea that there's material in the pre-code comics that little Johnny and Suzy probably should not be reading :roflmao:

On 6/7/2024 at 9:37 AM, Darwination said:

I've got no issues with transgressive art but have become at least a little more sympathetic to the idea that there's material in the pre-code comics that little Johnny and Suzy probably should not be reading :roflmao:

Indeed. Although, I feel a lot of comics were intended for an older audience.

I guess the same could have been said about the underground comics I read in high school. I was considerably older and not quite so impressionable by then.

UGs were “generally” not as violent. Yeah, there were exceptions. They were signs of the times and full of sexual and drug content. Often with humor and great art. Like anything I read, I knew better and took them with a grain of salt.

NO comic ever swayed me to the “dark side” or changed my behavior. My parents raised me right. 

Totally - I think that a lot of the crime comics (and romance and horror and on and on) were for teens and even 20-30 year olds.

My mom tossed out my N.W.A. and 2 Live Crew cassettes, but I'd always buy new ones :roflmao: I turned out OK :canofworms:

I enjoy reading my pre code comic books, usually crime, every evening.  I had read somewhere that 75% of the pre code books were meant for and read by adults.  AFA ECs' went, they would display grossness after the fact.  With the Underworld True Crime Stories, In "The Widow of Death", they showed the brutality happening, which is quite horrifying.

Here's another book, from my almost complete CDNP run, the cover of which, would be taboo even today;

CDNP 46.jpg

On 6/7/2024 at 6:07 PM, fifties said:

I enjoy reading my pre code comic books, usually crime, every evening.  I had read somewhere that 75% of the pre code books were meant for and read by adults.  AFA ECs' went, they would display grossness after the fact.  With the Underworld True Crime Stories, In "The Widow of Death", they showed the brutality happening, which is quite horrifying.

Here's another book, from my almost complete CDNP run, the cover of which, would be taboo even today;

CDNP 46.jpg

I read Widow of Death for the first time last night. I still feel dirty. I scrubbed and I scrubbed but they just don't make water hot enough. 

Seriously though they went too far on that one especially at the end. 

On 6/7/2024 at 6:07 PM, fifties said:

CDNP 46.jpg

If I was Biro, I think I'd find another place to put my sig, rather than having my name on the car right by the getaway driver