• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,435 posts in this topic

From March 1951 Amazing Detective Cases. I was hypnotized by the colors on this cover since I first laid eyes on it. This title turned into a suspense/horror title near the end of the run, which I admittedly don't care for as much.  The early issues have some amazing cover art. 

Amazing Detective # 5.jpeg

On 2/22/2024 at 1:56 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

From March 1951 Amazing Detective Cases.

This title turned into a suspense/horror title near the end of the run,  

That's what occurred to many crime titles around 1950, and '51, since horror was the new up and coming genre.  EC changed both War Against Crime and Crime Patrol into The Vault of Horror and Tales From The Crypt in '50.  Atlas eventually had somewhere around 13 horror titles, with many morphed from crime and humor books.

On 2/22/2024 at 5:32 PM, fifties said:

That's what occurred to many crime titles around 1950, and '51, since horror was the new up and coming genre.  EC changed both War Against Crime and Crime Patrol into The Vault of Horror and Tales From The Crypt in '50.  Atlas eventually had somewhere around 13 horror titles, with many morphed from crime and humor books.

Yeah, Goodman was all about selling what was "hot" at the time. When he saw EC was doing so well with their horror titles he switched several crime titles over. Ironic since a lot of the Atlas crime had been switched over from other titles earlier. If I remember correctly Crime Cases came from Lil Willie, Crime Must Lose came from Blaze the Wonder Collie, and Justice Comics came from Wacky Duck.

On 2/22/2024 at 4:01 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Yeah, Goodman was all about selling what was "hot" at the time. When he saw EC was doing so well with their horror titles he switched several crime titles over. Ironic since a lot of the Atlas crime had been switched over from other titles earlier. If I remember correctly Crime Cases came from Lil Willie, Crime Must Lose came from Blaze the Wonder Collie, and Justice Comics came from Wacky Duck.

Adventures Into Terror #43 (actually #1) continued the numbering from Joker Comics.

Adv Into Terror 43.jpg

On 2/23/2024 at 5:45 AM, pmpknface said:

The whole Suspense run is either crime / horror, but I'll go with this being the most crime-like:

GetImage.aspx?c=5694168&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=Mi8yMy8yMDI0IDg6NDM6NTQgQU0%3d

Yeah, a tough title to file. Is it Horror? Crime?  I just ended up putting in my misc GA boxes…

On 2/23/2024 at 7:30 AM, Robot Man said:

I remember finding this panel inside and informing Overstreet back in the late ‘70’s. At the time, Redbeard, Bob Nastasi and I were heavily into SOTI, scouring our books and trading info then sending it to Bob.

IMG_8363.png

The good Dr. Wertham captioned this panel, "A girl raped and murdered" in his S.O.T.I. slander, even though this was her first appearance in the book, which I know because I happen to have itCrimeSmashers1SOTI.thumb.jpg.189a133a1409aef00ae7eeb17d313ca4.jpg.

Crime Smashers 1 SOTI panel.jpg

On 2/23/2024 at 3:11 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Received another Amazing Detective today. The guy's red necktie really draws your eyes to the center of the book. 

Amazing Detective # 9.jpeg

Sharing title and font design for the word DETECTIVE (for most of the run at least) with one of Goodman's long running True Crime Magazines:

Amazing Detective Cases v08n01 (1948-04.Crime Files) cover (Darwin UnEdit)

AmazingDetectiveCasesv06n01(1946-09)cover.thumb.jpg.d13e8f346b5379d0e0979f0db893a67a.jpg

On 2/23/2024 at 2:13 AM, fifties said:

Adventures Into Terror #43 (actually #1) continued the numbering from Joker Comics.

Adv Into Terror 43.jpg

Nice cover ‼️every inch of it👍

On 2/23/2024 at 4:15 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

And, to finish it off, a nice Promise Pedigree copy..........

Justice # 8.jpeg

Justice 8 Pedigree 2.jpeg

Lot of ladies getting slapped around back in those days 😝