• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,435 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2024 at 6:41 PM, Darwination said:

Different than the others, love it.

Yeah, its numbering continued from the Atlas Justice line with #s #53–67 and ran from May 1955 – Sep 1957. Bernard Baily &Reed Crandall did the art and Fred Kida did the cover on #67.

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

On 2/28/2024 at 7:21 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Thanks for posting! Big fan of Crime Exposed #5 and the concrete shoes cover. Unfamiliar with Complete Mystery , was that an early Marvel title?

Yeah, there is a lot of great storytelling that happens in just one image on a lot of these.  

I won't lie, though, the ones that have the two or three smaller panels on the left trigger my claustrophobia. 

Timely/Atlas crime is totally underrated.  Maybe it will catch on like the romance books have.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:34 PM, Darwination said:

Yeah, there is a lot of great storytelling that happens in just one image on a lot of these.  

I won't lie, though, the ones that have the two or three smaller panels on the left trigger my claustrophobia. 

Timely/Atlas crime is totally underrated.  Maybe it will catch on like the romance books have.

I’ve always considered Crime comics just slightly behind horror comics. It’s still kind of weird, other than a small amount of standouts, that they are still fairly undesired.

As far as Romance comics go, I never in my wildest dreams back in the day, could predict the meteoric rise in their popularity. 

I'm pretty open-minded about genres when it comes to the golden age, each of them have their own appeal.  Well, except for superheros, those are for dweebs. :yeehaw:

Not to mention I seem to find crime in my romance or horror in my crime yada yada. 

On 2/29/2024 at 9:54 AM, Robot Man said:

I’ve always considered Crime comics just slightly behind horror comics. It’s still kind of weird, other than a small amount of standouts, that they are still fairly undesired.

As far as Romance comics go, I never in my wildest dreams back in the day, could predict the meteoric rise in their popularity. 

I understand that the current undervaluation of Crime comics is satisfactory to some collectors, myself included. It was the first genre of Golden Age books I purchased when I entered the hobby, and its affordability was a primary reason for my interest. While Romance comics have seen a significant surge in prices over the past few years, select Crime books with shocking covers like Crime Does Not Pay #24, LB Cole, and Matt Baker's covers have experienced a notable increase in value. I hope that all comics in this genre will eventually see a rise in value, but ultimately I will collect what I enjoy. If there are monetary gains to be made, that's just a bonus.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:23 AM, Robot Man said:

That’s just the way I’ve always looked at my hobby. I bought what I liked, all genres, and at prices that made sense and could afford. It has worked out very well for me over the years.

There are a LOT more classic crime books that you didn’t mention…

IMG_6332.jpeg

IMG_6330.jpeg

My intention was to note that many of the significant price increases in the Crime genre are attributed to shocking covers, or by renowned artists like LB Cole and Matt Baker. There are also a few rare ones that are highly sought after and command a premium price.  Great group shot of some of the more notable books in the genre!

On 2/29/2024 at 10:23 AM, Robot Man said:

That’s just the way I’ve always looked at my hobby. I bought what I liked, all genres, and at prices that made sense and could afford. It has worked out very well for me over the years.

IMG_6332.jpeg

IMG_6330.jpeg

Heh heh fish to the face cover. I laugh every time lol

No doubt the classic covers get action, but it is very nice that you can still grab a beater copy of your average crime title for the price of a big mac meal.  Hillman and Ace crime comics are great and very cheap.

On 2/29/2024 at 11:23 AM, Robot Man said:

IMG_6332.jpeg

IMG_6330.jpeg

Killer rogues gallery of great comic covers.