• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

Well I think the main point is that the value depends on the card/subject matter more than the art or artist 2c

Same is ultimately true in comics. (Ditko spidey v ditko charlton).

I think magic is your gold standard.

Pokemon, I don't pretend to know, but I note the images from what I've seen often look like cels on the older cards. It might be black line on acetate kind of stuff which for me was never very attractive in person.

moreover, at least from a cursory google the illustrators appear to be Japanese, which in turn probably means pokemon art has never hit the market. See illustrator credit below.

Warcraft and Vampire and other games are sub $1k for the art from what I've seen.

Bulbasaur.jpg

Well I think the main point is that the value depends on the card/subject matter more than the art or artist 2c

Agree, but it seemed like Terry was thinking Mark's estimates were off. My contention is they probably aren't that far off, and the recent sales are not representative of most Kev Walker works.

Agree, but it seemed like Terry was thinking Mark's estimates were off. My contention is they probably aren't that far off, and the recent sales are not representative of most Kev Walker works.

Did I actually disclose what Mark's estimates were???

I agree that these current auctions reflect the fact that these are high-interest pieces, but then again not so long ago someone on these boards sold on eBay (what was to me) a fairly routine example that fetched $1,600.

In any case, I'm not actively looking to sell anything. Just taking note of the action for possible future reference.

What I'll probably do is post a few Kev Walker examples on the MTG FB page and ask for a consensus of opinions over likely value. That might be a fun exercise (and also tell me if Mark's estimates, which I don't remember disclosing, are accurate). hm

What I'll probably do is post a few Kev Walker examples on the MTG FB page and ask for a consensus of opinions over likely value. That might be a fun exercise (and also tell me if Mark's estimates, which I don't remember disclosing, are accurate). hm

Done. Let the experts decide . . .

First response to my MTG FB page post:

"I don't think the prices on the new Walker lands will correlate with much of a value change on his other non-landscape pieces.

I only say this because Kev landscapes are exceptionally rare. Everything else is more common due to the prolific nature of his contributions to Magic.

So, having said that... To the right collector I'd guess these pieces are worth to upwards of $1250 (unless one is on a popular card that I'm not aware of). If I was selling, I think anything over $750-$850 each would make me happy.

The one exception might be the book cover... I think that could garner more interest and go higher than the others."

I posted 4 card artworks together with a wraparound book cover. The estimates on this reply are 2 to 3 times the estimates given to me by Mark.

Interesting . . .

I consulted MTG dealer Mark Aaronowitch over ball-park figures for Kev's work and the price-range he advised is now being way-surpassed by prices being realised on the aforementioned FB MTG Art Exchange.

You didn't say exactly his estimates, but you explicitly stated it was much lower than the prices of the landscapes. Using my experience (limited as it may be), I can infer a range he would have given you. I could be way off, but it's not like you said nothing about his estimates.

I have my opinions of the valuation just like everyone else. That's all they are though...opinions. The only way to know is auction, which I know you aren't ready to do, and may never be. That's OK! I like you Terry, and your taste in art too ;) No hard feelings.

First response to my MTG FB page post:

"I don't think the prices on the new Walker lands will correlate with much of a value change on his other non-landscape pieces.

I only say this because Kev landscapes are exceptionally rare. Everything else is more common due to the prolific nature of his contributions to Magic.

So, having said that... To the right collector I'd guess these pieces are worth to upwards of $1250 (unless one is on a popular card that I'm not aware of). If I was selling, I think anything over $750-$850 each would make me happy.

The one exception might be the book cover... I think that could garner more interest and go higher than the others."

I posted 4 card artworks together with a wraparound book cover. The estimates on this reply are 2 to 3 times the estimates given to me by Mark.

Interesting . . .

The funny thing is the $500 piece that I mentioned didn't sell earlier this year was being sold by Mark...I wonder if it's colored his perception of Kev's valuations. For what it's worth, I think Ryan is pretty spot on with that valuation. I could see the book cover garner a lot of attention, and could go upwards of $2K with the right bidders in the room.

I consulted MTG dealer Mark Aaronowitch over ball-park figures for Kev's work and the price-range he advised is now being way-surpassed by prices being realised on the aforementioned FB MTG Art Exchange.

You didn't say exactly his estimates, but you explicitly stated it was much lower than the prices of the landscapes. Using my experience (limited as it may be), I can infer a range he would have given you. I could be way off, but it's not like you said nothing about his estimates.

I have my opinions of the valuation just like everyone else. That's all they are though...opinions. The only way to know is auction, which I know you aren't ready to do, and may never be. That's OK! I like you Terry, and your taste in art too ;) No hard feelings.

Apologies, the emboldened text was there to emphasise a point, not to seem like I was shouting at you! We're good. ;)

Interestingly, Mark's commented on my post suggesting a price range of between $500 - 1,000 for the card artworks.

Higher than he previously advised me in e-mail exchange (which, if memory serves me right, was $500 tops)! hm

Some of my recent acquisitions:

Kingpin's Pet - Return to Ravnica - Mark Zug

DCBAF0ED-B0E9-4CA5-9B78-599E52A7F407_zpsqrdcq0oi.jpg

Kjeldoran Warrior - Ice Age - Mark Poole

79A1AEB2-DEBA-4411-AE52-C988894401B1_zpsfeftfhvd.jpg

Tivadar of Thorn - Time Spiral - Carl Critchlow

7E8758AB-4A8B-4168-9138-753F1E26D17E_zpskkngkmnl.jpg

Cat Burglar - Exodus - DiTerlizzi

18BA0488-7551-4302-880F-E26E4DEAEE3B_zpswkfgnfxg.jpg

I am amazed you got a DiTerlizzi. I picked up his art book at Gen Con last year.

If you have a couple grand lying around you can still get one: http://diterlizzi.com/home/magic-the-gathering-original-art-sale/

what are your thoughts on counterfeit cards. I bought a pricey card for the first time in a long time, a mox emerald, and it was a very good fake. Its kind of disturbing to see how close they are getting.

Well, I can't comment on that but I know the mox emerald looked perfect. I looked at it under a loupe and I still couldn't see any problems (although others would know better than me). But it felt a shade too thin to the touch, was more slippery than it should be, too. But I ran through all those tests for hours and it passed everything except it didn't feel right.

I took it to two stores. I found the most inexperienced person I could at the first store, and asked them. They claimed real.

The second store I took it to the biggest store around and straight to the owner with decades of experience. He didn't like the feel either and said he would not buy it if offered to him just based on that. I pestered him to look with a loupe and he found a slight error in the printing to confirm as fake but man... it was good.