• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

Seems like the art for the new set coming out, Kaladesh, is coming out strong out of the gate. Also, looks like artists got to each do more pieces than usual,

Chris Rahn already auctioned off two pieces on eBay (both ended $3,250 I believe); has another one in auction right now(already at $5,800 with 4 days to go and even though I find it to be the weakest of the bunch); one offered for a fixed price on FB; and may have another one for auction shortly.

Volkan Baga has at least 5 pieces his rep is/will auction on FB .

Matt Stewart has one piece on eBay right now (at $4,200 with 4 days to go).

I noticed that as well.

Are the card details even out yet? I see the two 3250 Rahns are 'ceremonious rejection' and 'skyship stalker'.

The $5800 piece looks to be a reprint of mox opal which is a strong card hence the price I guess. I don't like the original much either. Any kind of mox painting the focus should be on the gem IMO. He's gussied it up so that there's fancypants details around the stone but it takes the focus off where it should be IMHO.* http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mox-Opal-ORIGINAL-OIL-PAINTING-Art-by-Chris-Rahn-MTG-Magic-/122130195032?hash=item1c6f86e258:g:LxcAAOSwFV9X1x7A

* I can't draw a stickfigure, so...

The mox, a couple of the Baga's, and Stewart are all going to be part of a super rare collection you can pull out of packs (approximately 1/144 packs). The cards look very nice, and the art, while homogenous, is beautiful. I really wanted to go after the Matt Stewart sword, but it immediately jumped to $4200, which is IMO a bit inflated and there are days left in the auction. The buyer will have trouble flipping it any time soon if that's his plan.

The mox, a couple of the Baga's, and Stewart are all going to be part of a super rare collection you can pull out of packs (approximately 1/144 packs). The cards look very nice, and the art, while homogenous, is beautiful. I really wanted to go after the Matt Stewart sword, but it immediately jumped to $4200, which is IMO a bit inflated and there are days left in the auction. The buyer will have trouble flipping it any time soon if that's his plan.

Oh yay so they are going the baseball card route. I don't like that trend. 2c

I think a friend of mine has the original for that fire and ice sword actually

It's pretty much all old cards that need reprints that aren't standard legal. They are just there to add excitement to the packs. I would hate to be a completist, because a full set will cost a mint, but otherwise they are just a nice bonus. They started this last year actually in Battle for Zendikar block with old land cards in the same pack ratio and it went over well so they are making it permanent.

I think a friend of mine has the original for that fire and ice sword actually

Which one?

7F887C27-82E0-40FD-919E-87C02F22A58C_zpsv0jekylk.jpg

D384BCB0-D794-4A9A-AF21-EA81924AA5DC_zpsxmhkogua.jpg

It's pretty much all old cards that need reprints that aren't standard legal. They are just there to add excitement to the packs. I would hate to be a completist, because a full set will cost a mint, but otherwise they are just a nice bonus. They started this last year actually in Battle for Zendikar block with old land cards in the same pack ratio and it went over well so they are making it permanent.

Okay, that's good to know thx

I hope your friend doesn't want the Baga sword of fire and ice because the auction started on FB and a guy there decided to show how much of a BSD he is and use $1,000 increments, so the price jumped from $3,000 to $6,000 in 4 bids, Unless that BSD is your friend of course and the tell him congrats on the new piece.

On the one hand he's doing the others a favor by basically telling them there's no point for them to waste any time on the piece and they might as well direct their energy elsewhere. On the other hand, what I perceive as an arrogant and impolite way of doing so rubs me the wrong way,

The surprising thing is that he's using another one of Baga's new paintings as his avatar. I guess he's going to buy that one as well.