• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

While I would not spend thousands on these new pieces of art I will admit that they are very beautiful pieces and don't come off as too geeky/high fantasy, which a number of MTG cards really show. It seems that for these masterpiece cards or whatever they were calling them, they are really trying to amp up the art, keeping it within the realm of MTG, but making it just different enough to where it seems more like higher art.

Very happy that someone posted on this site that $10 ebay coupon a week or so back so I could get a booster box for about $80 :)

Where are these being sold? A facebook page?

Yes, MTG Art Exchange Facebook group and eBay.

Most of these cards you guys are talking about are unknown to me.

Do the early cards ever come up for sale?

Unlimited set , Arabian, Legends etc.

Art from these sets come up rarely, and usually garner premium prices when they do. Even very inferior art from alpha goes for $8K+ due to nostalgia. If you meant the cards themselves and not the art, yes, people still buy and sell these regularly as well.

[sold already...was a steal if you want a sea serpent on your wall :)

Well, you know what they say, better a sea sepent on your wall than in your bed.

Or is it the other way around? I keep forgetting.

Oh wait, I think actually it's better a serpent in your hand.

feature137_embrace.jpg

Where are these being sold? A facebook page?

Yes, MTG Art Exchange Facebook group and eBay.

Most of these cards you guys are talking about are unknown to me.

Do the early cards ever come up for sale?

Unlimited set , Arabian, Legends etc.

Art from these sets come up rarely, and usually garner premium prices when they do. Even very inferior art from alpha goes for $8K+ due to nostalgia. If you meant the cards themselves and not the art, yes, people still buy and sell these regularly as well.

Yeah I meant the art.

I do recognize the Jesters Cap in your avatar. That card is from the very last set that I recall coming to market. Do you own the art for that one?

Aaaaaand now we're at the point where Baga's rep starts the FB aucrtion at $8,000 and gets it almost immediately. I'm curious to see what will happen if the next expansion's art style is back to the less ornate/detailed; whether prices would back down or has the market now shifted to a fixed higher price point.

You have to understand these are some of the best/well known cards in the game. The art is nice, but with magic art, 90% of the price is the power level of the card. Mana crypt is a "broken" card that's so powerful it's restricted to one of in one format and banned most everywhere else. That's why it gets an $8K bid immediately, not because of the art.

Sure. I would add:

A) comics aren't that different - see Herb Trimpe and hulk 181 page

B) less exciting stuff still gets good amounts

On a different note I'm surprised new art for old cards get as much interest as they do. I'd probably be interested in only the first/original illo, most of the time

Sure. I would add:

On a different note I'm surprised new art for old cards get as much interest as they do. I'd probably be interested in only the first/original illo, most of the time

That's the thing; I wouldn't say a word if this were the art for the original cards (or a new take by the original artist).

For a comics analog, I'd say the covers to Classic X-Men garner the price they do because of the particular artist (Adams, Mignola, Lightle) and image, not because of the story that was repreinted in the particular issue.

I understand this is second best to having the art for the original card, the allure of bragging rights and that the Kaladesh art is generally fancier than the usual crop, but the multiples still seem crazy.

Anyway, congratulations to the winners and, more importantly, the artists.

Sure. I would add:

That's the thing; I wouldn't say a word if this were the art for the original cards (or a new take by the original artist).

For a comics analog, I'd say the covers to Classic X-Men garner the price they do because of the particular artist (Adams, Mignola, Lightle) and image, not because of the story that was repreinted in the particular issue.

Yeah, but in some sense every 'hot' artist or valuable cover in comics gets its value from the stories with which the name is associated. Ditko (love or hate - I love for the most part) isn't worth squat without being involved with marvel/ ASM (see all those cheap 70s charlton covers/ pages which are sometimes very nice examples of his work). [and that's with asm being part of his legacy. If you take marvel away altogether one can only imagine how cheap his work would be].

Sure. I would add:

I'd also be much more interested in the original printings, but so would most everyone else. The price for the original Sol Ring art would probably be worth $50K+. I think the new swords are much nicer than the originals though, and the price would show it I think.