• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

Wow, that's mighty impressive, thanks for the updates. ;)

The part I find more impressive is the more run of the mill stuff getting thousands too. Saw one from your buddy kev walker for 4500 IIRC on a card I'd never heard of. Not that I pay any attention to the cards anymore but still.

Those prices on new cards from new sets are kind of a joke IMO (except things like Angels/Dragons/Planeswalkers). They won't be resold for that any time soon. I can right now go pick up very nice Kev Walker pieces (but the cards are bad/so-so) for $500-$1000...many even. He is one of the most prolific contributors to the game, and it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the most prolific before much longer (I think he has painted the 3rd most cards to this point).

All that said, I love his style, and if I had the funds I would be making offers to Terry for a couple of his pieces. Unfortunately, I went a little bonkers of the past 4 months buying 10 different Magic pieces, so I'm kinda broke.

That said, I think this sale did open a lot of people's eyes and propped up the market even further for older tournament staples original art.

Any further comment? I've been watching the MTG art exchange on facebook and the market seems *very* strong

Wow, that's mighty impressive, thanks for the updates. ;)

The part I find more impressive is the more run of the mill stuff getting thousands too. Saw one from your buddy kev walker for 4500 IIRC on a card I'd never heard of. Not that I pay any attention to the cards anymore but still.

Those prices on new cards from new sets are kind of a joke IMO (except things like Angels/Dragons/Planeswalkers). They won't be resold for that any time soon. I can right now go pick up very nice Kev Walker pieces (but the cards are bad/so-so) for $500-$1000...many even. He is one of the most prolific contributors to the game, and it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the most prolific before much longer (I think he has painted the 3rd most cards to this point).

All that said, I love his style, and if I had the funds I would be making offers to Terry for a couple of his pieces. Unfortunately, I went a little bonkers of the past 4 months buying 10 different Magic pieces, so I'm kinda broke.

Hey Great! Congrats on the pickups.

interesting perpsective also.

Care to share your pickups?

Looks like someone just listed darkpact (for people that don't follow, early but bad card) for $85k :/

I think that guy is just unsure what the market is for an Alpha Hoover right now and wants to make sure he doesn't leave anything on the table. The artist unfortunately died a few years ago, and his last piece that sold publicly went for $18.2K last March (Regeneration).

Did you want to see the art I bought recently?

Looks like someone just listed darkpact (for people that don't follow, early but bad card) for $85k :/

I think that guy is just unsure what the market is for an Alpha Hoover right now and wants to make sure he doesn't leave anything on the table. The artist unfortunately died a few years ago, and his last piece that sold publicly went for $18.2K last March (Regeneration).

Yes, I agree, but still.

I'm sorry to hear that about Quinton, I didn't know :(

Regeneration is a much better piece though IMO.

I think you could put 45k on darkpact and still be plenty safe. Thoughts?

Care to share your pickups?

I sold a little over half my comic collection, and some Magic cards to fund these (~$15K).

First up, 3 basic lands from Ravnica: City of Guilds (2005) by artist Christopher Moeller. I hope to one day own all 5 of these (I know where the Plains is, Island is MIA):

DF0A5D56-4664-42E6-9AC5-EB679EBC6A61_zpswmop6emk.jpg

C30D5DBE-8F20-4D49-9959-6478FC3453B3_zpsqr8ejtbk.jpg

7A7B4074-8403-42D3-BA4F-8549F0D8AFA3_zpsnfc7khdy.jpg

You're going to see a theme here, as I love the BW color combination (Orzhov guild from Ravnica), and 7/10 pieces I own are from the Ravnica or Return to Ravnica blocks.

Here is Orzhova, Church of Deals by Martina Pilcerova (Ravnica, 2005) and Sindic of Tithes, Steve Prescott (Gatecrash, 2013)

4E8EF056-B5B0-4BD6-84ED-1FC1CF20395A_zpskyjds4di.jpg

3E70147F-AE80-4CB5-90EA-7301DE93E153_zpscvy4lmqj.jpg

Finally, 5 pieces from a single artist (maybe). All of these are attributed to Tim Hildebrandt, but according to his brother Greg, he actually painted them and submitted them to Wizards of the Coast as Tim to keep his name in the industry after suffering a stroke. Tim never recovered and eventually died. They are: Lantern of Insight (Fifth Dawn, 2004), Steelshaper's Gift (Fifth Dawn, 2004), Reito Lantern (Champions of Kamigawa, 2004), Boros Signet (Ravnica, 2005), Orzhov Signet (Guildpact, 2006)

4ABE35AD-5D29-4713-9A94-9EA1C2743CD6_zpsc8ahdc1n.jpg

0354F176-9B65-4334-ADDD-82A468E67540_zpsvbvzlmib.jpg

0CDADCD7-0B4E-474A-8705-5B520ED49632_zpsaepovyjd.jpg

52C2F9C9-80BE-40D9-97CB-CC57567EDCF7_zps55oon5ka.jpg

52798199-0B66-42C0-8576-178345440694_zpsvdxmww7g.jpg

Edited by JesterSB

Yes, I agree, but still.

I'm sorry to hear that about Quinton, I didn't know :(

Regeneration is a much better piece though IMO.

I think you could put 45k on darkpact and still be plenty safe. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, I don't think it's worth more than $25K, and I wouldn't pay that much even for Regeneration (which is a better piece). Vesuvan Doppelganger on the other hand hits $50K easy...sky's the limit.

congrats on the art! Lovely pieces and thanks for sharing! I like the Moellers, Prescott, and first hildebrandt especially.

Vesuvan Doppelganger on the other hand hits $50K easy...sky's the limit.

Oh yeah, I could see that. That would be worthy of the 85k trial balloon.

congrats on the art! Lovely pieces and thanks for sharing! I like the Moellers, Prescott, and first hildebrandt especially.

Humorously, if you looked at the card for Lantern of Insight, you would think it's awful (1 mana artifact that makes both players play with the top card of their library revealed), but it's actually a namesake card of a deck (lantern control) in one of the most popular formats (Modern)!

Edited by JesterSB

Humorously, if you looked at the card for Lantern of Insight, you would think it's awful (1 mana artifact that makes both players play with the top card of their library revealed), but it's actually a namesake card of a deck (lantern control) in one of the most popular formats (Modern)!

Interesting. Yeah I just read it. I can see it being useful actually. See what's coming ahead of time and plan your counterspells and other actions around whether or not you care about the card that's coming up coming into play.

Its one of those cards that I'm not into MTG enough to be able to design a deck around, but I can see how the more hardcore players could make it work..

Is it something you played with? Seems like a good one to have purchased between the use and the cool imag.e

Interesting. Yeah I just read it. I can see it being useful actually. See what's coming ahead of time and plan your counterspells and other actions around whether or not you care about the card that's coming up coming into play.

Its one of those cards that I'm not into MTG enough to be able to design a deck around, but I can see how the more hardcore players could make it work..

Is it something you played with? Seems like a good one to have purchased between the use and the cool imag.e

It actually just shuts the other player out of the game using cards that remove the top card of their (or both players) library, never giving them anything good to play. Those cards are also 1 mana artifacts, so the deck can get the lock going pretty quick. It's miserable to play against, and the control name is kind of a misnomer, it's actually a prison deck.

It actually just shuts the other player out of the game using cards that remove the top card of their (or both players) library, never giving them anything good to play. Those cards are also 1 mana artifacts, so the deck can get the lock going pretty quick. It's miserable to play against, and the control name is kind of a misnomer, it's actually a prison deck.

I see now. thanks.

TD20150619_CardCombo.png

From the same guy that is asking 4x too much for dark pact... Weird. He must be under some delusion that Quintons death has made his art vastly more valuable. The crusade is and will always be the far more valuable piece