• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic sellers on ebay: Please avoid ebay's Global Shipping Programme (GSP)!

81 posts in this topic

I knew right from the start GSP was BS. I reach the international market just fine, thank you. It's actually easier to ship internationally yourself than to go through the program.

That makes no sense. If I ship through the GSP I don't have to make a special trip to the PO. If I don't ship through the GSP I have to go to the PO. How is that easier?

Why do you have to make a special trip to the post office?

I knew right from the start GSP was BS. I reach the international market just fine, thank you. It's actually easier to ship internationally yourself than to go through the program.

That makes no sense. If I ship through the GSP I don't have to make a special trip to the PO. If I don't ship through the GSP I have to go to the PO. How is that easier?

Yeah, I don't get that either - you can print both domestic and international postage labels online and have the packages picked up at your house.

The only difference is that, for USPS Priority International, the postage label needs to be placed in one of these customs pouches:

https://www.usps.com/shop/customs2976e.htm

(which is free and can also be ordered online)

I can't remember the last time I actually went to the PO :shrug:

I feel that many of the sellers who use GSP do so because they previously did not ship globally. So its either no global or GSP as the only option to allow international bidders.

Most of the sellers that I found reliable (granted there were never that many) on eBay that I regularly bought from switched to the GSP.

Also Pitney Bowes incur their charges before the package reaches its destination country. Customs fees and VAT can only be charged after this, not whilst the goods are still in the U.S.A.

It was eBay's incessant need to increase profits, please their shareholders and create the illusion of progress that led to them partnering with Pitney Bowes, who interestingly enough were not known for customs brokerage outside of the U.S.A. until the GSP arrived.

Yeah, I don't get that either - you can print both domestic and international postage labels online and have the packages picked up at your house.

The only difference is that, for USPS Priority International, the postage label needs to be placed in one of these customs pouches:

It's great for U.S. sellers - it provides a service which saves you the hassle of shipping anything outside your country at no extra cost. And I would be for it, if the service charged something reasonable like an extra $20 rather than nonsensical fees that can run into hundreds of dollars.

It's not convenient for me to have the PO pick up packages from my house. I don't live in an area where I would feel comfortable just leaving stuff out while I'm at work.

Hmmm, you're making it sound too easy. I can't come up with any other excuses :D

Hmmm, you're making it sound too easy. I can't come up with any other excuses :D

That's because it is easy :)

Honestly, in this day & age, there's no reason not to ship internationally yourself - the process is really no different than shipping domestically.

In the time since GSP started, there have been a multitude of comics that I've passed on solely because of charges that should not be there. I know there are plenty of other international buyers who also pass on them so when they're added altogether, that's a lot of lost trade over the course of time.

The only issue I have with international shipping and printing a label at my desk is that you cannot send it registered. That's a service that has to be added at the PO.

And since most insurance coverage requires a signature over "x" dollars (usually $200 I think with CIS), you'll have to send a package registered to get the insurance coverage, since registered requires a signature.

Contrary to what many think, Priority International does not carry a signature and if the package is lost, you're SOL. Global Express does require a signature I think...but is very expensive.

The only issue I have with international shipping and printing a label at my desk is that you cannot send it registered. That's a service that has to be added at the PO.

And since most insurance coverage requires a signature over "x" dollars (usually $200 I think with CIS), you'll have to send a package registered to get the insurance coverage, since registered requires a signature.

Contrary to what many think, Priority International does not carry a signature and if the package is lost, you're SOL. Global Express does require a signature I think...but is very expensive.

Priority does require a signature. Only 1st class doesn't.

My US purchases are down about 50% due mainly to,

1. I WILL NOT SHIP OUTSIDE THE USA!

2. Way overpriced silver/bronze books (not keys).

3. GSP

I did enquire why one seller was asking $177 GSP on a Tec 400. The reply was,

"I have no idea, I'm not the one who charges import charges. It has nothing to do with me. It is the country that charges that. If it was up to me, I wouldn't charge import charges. I'm sorry THEY charge that much, but it is not my fault. Sorry again."

....bless!

The fundamental issue is "why has eBay, a multi-national, global corporation, not addressed these issues in the nations involved?" eBay has offices all over the world; why wouldn't such a thing be addressed?

Because they make a lot of money from it.

Are you suggesting that eBay is committing fraud, by pocketing the custom charges?

I am suggesting that they are aware of the problem and it hasn't been fixed. And the money is ending up somewhere.

I use gsp for ebay. Its wonderful.

Great for sellers who want to sell internationally.

Terrible for buyers who want to buy internationally.

If you want to ship books to the UK just put this on your packages:

"Printed Matter - comic book" and Tariff code "4902900000".

They will not be charged for tariffs.

I'd argue it's not. How many bidders (like me) automatically pass on lots using GSP?

"No additional import charges on delivery" is just insult to injury.

It's great in the sense that it removes risk on the part of the seller / shipper.

It's not great in the sense that it greatly limits the market of knowledgeble buyers.

I am about to receive one parcel with a product ( not comics) from USA. And it is going thru GSP. Should be interesting to see how it comes. I already paid $6.00 for import charges on top of shipping.

That will be my first time with this service.

One GSP in Canada is enough

GSP.jpg

Atta-boy!!! :headbang:

As a Canadian buyer, I can attest that it really sucks having to pay extra for that fee. I also found that sometimes GSP charges ridiculously priced fees for shipping for a single comic that isn't worth that much. I've come across times where a seller was selling a comic worth ~50$, and it had 60$ shipping! Talk about a turn off!

As for the service itself, I haven't bought too many comics through the program, but I've never had a problem with it... yet :wishluck:

Here's a couple of posts (of mine) from an earlier thread.

I'm on the record here as a GSP hater. I find it loathsome, and will not buy from sellers who use it.

Period.

What a lot here seem to be missing is the elephant in the room.

All packages shipped to the GSP hub in Kentucky are opened there!

The USPS doesn't open outgoing packages unless it has a reasonable suspicion that something's "not right". When a package is opened by the USPS, pretty strict guidelines have to be followed in order that there are no "shenanigans".

EVERY package shipped to Kentucky is opened, to "check". meh

Yeah, right. I'd love to believe that their facility, when it comes to opening packages, is held to the same standard as the USPS.

I doubt it though.

Leaving all this aside, how comfortable are you as a seller with the notion that someone else is going to repackage your carefully constructed parcel?

Linky

Relevant extract:

"Under the eBay program, sellers mail items to a Pitney Bowes warehouse in Erlanger, Ky., where employees open and repackage items, billing the buyers — not sellers — for shipping and customs fees. A handling fee is added into the charges, but neither eBay nor Pitney Bowes would disclose how the fee is calculated."

Bolded for emphasis.

Well they call it "import charges" rather than duties or tax, which could mean anything, including administrative fees - Pitney Bowes have to make their cash somehow.

hm

I suppose that could be true.

If eBay is purposely pocketing customs charges, and making it appear as if they are actual import duties paid to the nation importing the item, that would be fraud on a fairly large scale.